Ed.L.D. at HGSE

larbre

This blog offers a lot of insight into the type of candidate they are looking for:

http://laurensthoughtblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/harvard-education-leadership-doctorate.html

I know we are all waiting and there isn't much we can do at this point but this may help those who are considering reapplying or applying for the first time next year.

jeebus, a thousand applications for 50 slots. Assuming I get my MBE masters at HGSE, I was thinking of applying to the ED.L.D program while there. But wow, competitive. I'd have to be seriously amazing I think (which I'm not), and I wonder if they would take master's people out of HGSE, or if they'd want to look nearly exclusively outside of Harvard for fresh perspectives.

Down here in Washington DC waiting (not so patiently) as well. Never checked my e-mail so much in my life...I'm hoping that they will send an e-mail to all candidates, even if they didn't get invited to the interview, but who knows? Two weeks has never felt so long! Again, chances are slim, but it's hard to completely give up hope!

Part of me feels like its getting late in the notification period and surely the interview invitations have gone out by now...then again, you would think that if that was the case, Harvard would post something on its web site at least to put us our of our misery.

Part of me feels like its getting late in the notification period and surely the interview invitations have gone out by now...then again, you would think that if that was the case, Harvard would post something on its web site at least to put us our of our misery.

Again- if they want the candidates there MONDAY- 5 days away- how can they be notifying people this late? Surely someone has heard something...

I e-mailed admissions today and got this response:

Thank you for your message, and for your continued interest in the Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.) program!

In response to your inquiry, we began notifying individuals who were selected for an Ed.L.D. interview on Friday, February 12, and will continue notifying individuals until Friday, February 26. Please note that candidates will be notified via email only.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to email me again at any time if you have additional questions.

Keeping Hope Alive! unsure.gif

I e-mailed admissions today and got this response:

Thank you for your message, and for your continued interest in the Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.) program!

In response to your inquiry, we began notifying individuals who were selected for an Ed.L.D. interview on Friday, February 12, and will continue notifying individuals until Friday, February 26. Please note that candidates will be notified via email only.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to email me again at any time if you have additional questions.

Keeping Hope Alive! unsure.gif

Thank you so much for contacting the admissions office and posting the response. Two and a half more days of torture!

Again- if they want the candidates there MONDAY- 5 days away- how can they be notifying people this late? Surely someone has heard something...

Yes. Call me a pessimist, but I have to think that if we haven't heard by now we're probably toast. Any applicant invited to Cambridge to interview is likely prepping and getting his/her suit pressed--not looking for answers here on this message board (as I am).

I know they had a staggering volume of applications and this may sound bitter of me (I sincerely don't mean for it to), but it's hard to imagine that this is the best way to handle the hundreds of people waiting to hear word. The "don't call us, we'll call you" approach--over a two-week period and leading *directly* up to the purported interview dates--is pretty brutal. I for one foolishly canceled another opportunity in order to keep the interview week free. I suppose, however, that's just what it's like to be Harvard.

Anyway, I'm hope I'm wrong in my skepticism for whomever is reading this. Good luck. And at the risk of sounding preachy, please don't let a "no" from Harvard in any way impede or discourage your commitment to making education work better in this country. I'll see you folks out there on the front lines.

It is my hunch that no one has been notified yet. I think all interview notices will go out on the 26th. They had some pretty bad weather and I would think that slowed things down a bit. Also, admissions said that processing the apps took several weeks.

Fingers crossed, still.

I love the way that student04 is thinking. I really hope you are right!

So just for kicks, and to make the final stretch of the waiting game more productive,...if student04 is right, and some folks on this message board (hopefully all of us!) will get an invite for next week...what are you expecting from the interview? They have indicated it is a full day of individual and group interviews. Any ideas???

I love the way that student04 is thinking. I really hope you are right!

So just for kicks, and to make the final stretch of the waiting game more productive,...if student04 is right, and some folks on this message board (hopefully all of us!) will get an invite for next week...what are you expecting from the interview? They have indicated it is a full day of individual and group interviews. Any ideas???

At the info session I attended, they spoke enthusiastically about Dr. Elmore's book: Instructional Rounds. I was thinking that maybe the group activity might be something that had the candidates interact in a way similar to the rounds model explained in the book. Maybe observe a video of a classroom lesson and ask each group member what they noticed in terms of Elmore's concept of the "instructional core."

Did anyone notice that the option (when you login on HGSE's Website) to check for scheduled events and interviews is not available now? It was early this morning, but as of 5pm the option was no longer available. This could mean that admissions have started the notification process for interviews and something will post in the morning.

At the info session I attended, they spoke enthusiastically about Dr. Elmore's book: Instructional Rounds. I was thinking that maybe the group activity might be something that had the candidates interact in a way similar to the rounds model explained in the book. Maybe observe a video of a classroom lesson and ask each group member what they noticed in terms of Elmore's concept of the "instructional core."

I like student 04's attitude too. I am going crazy.

One more day! At least it's sunny and 70 in San Diego :)

Thanks for sharing drd. Definitely a creative idea.

I did notice the calendar page was not available, I am glad I was not the only one this happened to.

I just find it hard to believe that people have already been selected, and yet this post has been reviewed more than 4,000 times without anyone either being selected themselves, or knowing someone who has been. Who knows! But thankfully this should all be over in the next 24 hours, right? 2/26 5pm EST.

Still no word from HGSE. This erratic snowstorm in the northeast probably is not helping matters as well. I anticipate a delay, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

An acceptance by HGSE would give me a chance to help my ancestors shine and bring glory and honor to my family.

Ah, but alas, rejection is seemingly becoming more and more of a possibility. No matter what, I hope that HGSE keeps in mind that people who are going to bring about change in our urban schools are not necessarily going to be those who come from

privileged backgrounds or those who had access to a decent education, test prep materials, and a gamut of other resources.

It would be interesting to get a synopsis of the typical applicant to this program.

As the time ticketh away, keep hope alive! The right news will come to you.

W

Still no word from HGSE. This erratic snowstorm in the northeast probably is not helping matters as well. I anticipate a delay, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

An acceptance by HGSE would give me a chance to help my ancestors shine and bring glory and honor to my family.

Ah, but alas, rejection is seemingly becoming more and more of a possibility. No matter what, I hope that HGSE keeps in mind that people who are going to bring about change in our urban schools are not necessarily going to be those who come from

privileged backgrounds or those who had access to a decent education, test prep materials, and a gamut of other resources.

It would be interesting to get a synopsis of the typical applicant to this program.

As the time ticketh away, keep hope alive! The right news will come to you.

W

The program is so new that I'm not sure the first year's cohort will be a valid representation of all of the different talent they're looking for.

Also, please keep in mind that this is just a pilot year, so the cohort is small and the application pool was massive...the final numbers were just over 2000 applications for 25 spots. That's roughly a 1% admissions rate. Not getting into the pilot cohort certainly doesn't make anyone a failure.

The program is so new that I'm not sure the first year's cohort will be a valid representation of all of the different talent they're looking for.

Also, please keep in mind that this is just a pilot year, so the cohort is small and the application pool was massive...the final numbers were just over 2000 applications for 25 spots. That's roughly a 1% admissions rate. Not getting into the pilot cohort certainly doesn't make anyone a failure.

Whoa- the number of applicants is up to 2000 now? Where did you get that number? Last I heard, the pool was about 1000... Unbelieveable!

Whoa- the number of applicants is up to 2000 now? Where did you get that number? Last I heard, the pool was about 1000... Unbelieveable!

One of the Deans, in an interview two weeks before the EdLD application deadline, said they had received just over 1850 applications at that point. I assumed the final number would be slightly higher.