Ed.L.D. at HGSE

larbre

Still no word from HGSE. This erratic snowstorm in the northeast probably is not helping matters as well. I anticipate a delay, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

An acceptance by HGSE would give me a chance to help my ancestors shine and bring glory and honor to my family.

Ah, but alas, rejection is seemingly becoming more and more of a possibility. No matter what, I hope that HGSE keeps in mind that people who are going to bring about change in our urban schools are not necessarily going to be those who come from

privileged backgrounds or those who had access to a decent education, test prep materials, and a gamut of other resources.

It would be interesting to get a synopsis of the typical applicant to this program.

As the time ticketh away, keep hope alive! The right news will come to you.

W

This is such a valid point. The ed reform movement is becoming full of the type of people you described. Do they have value add to the conversation and work? Absolutely..however, I'm knee deep in an organization that only has this type and has done a piss poor job of including others at the table. We are being charged with changing a system without including the ones most affected in the discussion. Like you, I'm really hoping HGSE has a hybrid mix in the first pool.

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I guess by this point I'm personally leaning toward the pessimistic side. The notion that bad weather would somehow cripple Harvard into sending *all* of their interview invitations in the last few hours of their window (or delaying it further) seems hopeful but unrealistic to me. As someone else said here, it's a don't-call-us, we'll-call-you approach, and so the math is pretty straightforward: For 99 percent of applicants, myself included, the business day will likely end with no word at all. And because "official" decisions won't go out until next month, it's very possible that we won't get any communication from HGSE except a polite "sorry" email in March. Again, sorry if this runs counter to your own personality or approach--I'm just trying to avoid denial and keep some realistic perspective. Best wishes to everyone.

To all of those still waiting on HGSE, here is a song from Tibet. It is called "lewang," which means "destiny."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Hh-_t-_ug

Decisions will be made that impact the future today. Let's hope admissions thinks in terms of the best interest of our country and our destiny as a people united by a desire to want to brighten the futures of younger generations.

W

-Lewang

Just called Harvard. Well, my crazy husband did... An admissions rep confirmed that all of the interview emails have gone out. If you did not already receive an email, you are not invited for an interview. Sorry folks. She also said that the more formal denial emails will be sent on March 26th. So there you have it. I hope I can put you out of some of your misery...

Onward. smile.gif

Yes. I have appreciated reading all of your thoughts as well. Without this forum, the news would be much more difficult. I will stay on for a few more weeks to see if there is any additional news about this cohort, but after that I too will move on. Thank you for those who have made calls and sent emails to keep us updated!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone received (or know someone who received) an interview invitation for Harvard Ed.L.D. 2012? I confirmed with admissions office that they will accept 25 new students. But, they would not tell me from how many applicants. While it is their right to keep the information confidential, why be so clandestine? Any current students out there?

I am also waiting to hear about an interview. They are interviewing 50 candidates for 25 spots. Interview emails are supposed to go out between 2/10 and 2/24. I'm crossing my fingers. Please post if you hear anything. Will do the same! Good luck!

Waiting as well. Not sure about the number of applicants, but an admissions office person told me at an open house event that she guessed they'd be looking at 3000+ applications this year. You can calculate the odds yourself because it's too scary for me to look at, haha.

Good luck to everyone!

Have not heard anything and haven't been able to find anyone who posted that they have heard anything either. Starting to lose hope. What kind of system is this? Why not just say the day they are going to send out notifications and then just do it on that day? Why the two week span? Anyone have any insight into this?

Hi all,

I'm dying over this too. Keep checking my emails! Do you think we would have heard by now? Trawling through last year's forums I once heard that the last people were invited to interview on the 26th...

Losing hope :(

I emailed admissions last night to inquire if any or all emails had been sent out. This is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email. We began notifying individuals who were selected for an Ed.L.D. interview on Friday, February 10, and will continue notifying individuals until Friday, February 24. Please note that candidates will be notified via email only."

Not really sure how helpful this is, but at least I received a timely response. Not sure why they drag things out over two weeks. Not sure why they wait until the end of March to send out official rejections.

Waiting it out until Friday! UGHHH!

@lkmilam

On the application, it asked you to indicate if you would be interested in their Masters program should you not be offered admission to their doctoral program (EdD or EdLD). If you checked this, your application would be referred to the Masters program.

• 2 months later...

I don't get it. What is so lucrative about this program in particular? Looking back, the Urban Superintendents Program had between 30-60 applications every year, and HGSE accepted 6. Folks are coming out the woodwork applying for the EDLD