I had a visit at the start of the month and was terrified. I kept looking over my application materials, pondering what they would ask me and if I'd be quizzed. I read things I hadn't read in a while and brushed up on some theory. I started practicing my second language again, reading a ton of books, etc. I was basically preparing for comps. Then, when I got there, everyone just wanted to have a conversation!

So, for those of you nervous about going on visits, remember that everyone there is curious about who you are and they wan't you there. It was actually not stressful at all, and you're going to be wonderful. ☺️

After submitting my application materials, I've continued to work on my project by reading, researching and expanding my knowledge on my proposed field of study. This has led me to slightly reframe the focus of my initial project, particularly in terms of methodology.  I have a campus visit next week and expect to interview with POIs and faculty members and I'm not exactly sure about how to address this change. I know the project I presented will most probably end up being a completely different thing, if not completely dismissed, and I know POIs know this. But still, for some reason I'm worried that I might sound unprofessional or not committed enough with the proposal that got me accepted into the program in the first place. I might be overanalyzing this out of anxiety, but any advice will be appreciated! 

2 hours ago, cyborg213 said:

After submitting my application materials, I've continued to work on my project by reading, researching and expanding my knowledge on my proposed field of study. This has led me to slightly reframe the focus of my initial project, particularly in terms of methodology.  I have a campus visit next week and expect to interview with POIs and faculty members and I'm not exactly sure about how to address this change. I know the project I presented will most probably end up being a completely different thing, if not completely dismissed, and I know POIs know this. But still, for some reason I'm worried that I might sound unprofessional or not committed enough with the proposal that got me accepted into the program in the first place. I might be overanalyzing this out of anxiety, but any advice will be appreciated! 

My experiences with campus visits lead me to believe that you're completely fine. Not only is it acceptable for your interests and proposed project to change--it's actually expected, and in some places, downright encouraged. The wealth of resources available at the graduate level means that your questions and approaches are bound to shift, sometimes quite markedly. I've heard of 19th century Americanists who become early modernists. 

In short, I wouldn't sweat it. It might be more of a "red flag" if you went through years of graduate study without changing your proposal at all.

• 3 months later...
  • Warelin unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Looks like it's about time to dust this thread off again...

So, I know there are a few Ohio State and Penn State admits 'round these parts. Anyone planning to attend either school's open house? I have some familiarity with OSU's set-up since I went there for my MFA (though I was accepted off the waitlist, so I didn't actually attend the open house for my cohort year), but I'm not sure what to make of Penn State's multi-day affair. Looking forward to it, though!

1 minute ago, politics 'n prose said:

Looks like it's about time to dust this thread off again...

So, I know there are a few Ohio State and Penn State admits 'round these parts. Anyone planning to attend either school's open house? I have some familiarity with OSU's set-up since I went there for my MFA (though I was accepted off the waitlist, so I didn't actually attend the open house for my cohort year), but I'm not sure what to make of Penn State's multi-day affair. Looking forward to it, though!

I'm planning to attend the Penn State visit! I haven't made official arrangements yet, though.

I have booked my plane tickets for WashU at the end of February, so that will be my first campus visit.

I've committed to attend Northwestern's visit - can't wait!

Does anyone have any data about when Yale's visit typically is? (Or, fellow Yale admits, did anyone receive any info about it?) I'll go, of course, but I'm a little stressed about not knowing when it is because I'm still in my last semester of undergrad and going on visits is going to make me miss a lot of classes!

I'm still up in the air about going to OSU's campus visit because money is kind of an issue. I'm in the awkward space where I could afford to go but then I'd be a few hundred dollars down which might not be so great down the line from now. 

58 minutes ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

I've committed to attend Northwestern's visit - can't wait!

Does anyone have any data about when Yale's visit typically is? (Or, fellow Yale admits, did anyone receive any info about it?) I'll go, of course, but I'm a little stressed about not knowing when it is because I'm still in my last semester of undergrad and going on visits is going to make me miss a lot of classes!

Yale visit days are March 2-3, according to DGS's email

1 hour ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Yale visit days are March 2-3, according to DGS's email

Thank you, good to know! I haven't actually gotten anything from the DGS yet; I got an email telling me to check my portal, and in my portal was my acceptance letter with funding info from the Dean of the Graduate School. Hopefully I'll get some info from the department itself soon...

ETA: Email from DGS just came through, and it was kind and lovely!

Edited by The Hoosier Oxonian

Just got back from Notre Dame's recruitment weekend, and I had an amazing time.

I wasn't sure what to expect honestly, but they surpassed my expectations by far. The director of graduate studies was absolutely amazing and transparent about everything. She's very dedicated and involved with the students, and there was so much praise coming from the students of color (something of particular importance to me as a black student). She has everyone's back and that extends to the professors as well. I even had someone tell me she made them believe in allyship again— just wow. 

The professors I spoke to were also amazing! I wasn't expecting to receive that much praise regarding my work (this is usually me with praise in general though, LOL). What was really touching and super important is that fact that they were professors who genuinely want me to succeed. It's a pretty close knit department which I also love. The desire to be there for their students came across as truly genuine. I even had a professor tell me he had office hours for 6 hours just to accommodate for his students. I definitely feel like I could go cry in their offices without judgement if it came down to it. 

Overall, it was an incredible experience. Everyone was transparent about what it was like being a student of color there, as well. I was aware that my experience at a PWI will heavily be affected by my being black and a woman regardless of what school I end up at, so what I was really hoping to figure out was how supportive the department was.  I was told by various grad students how supportive the Late American/Contemporary professors were, and how they stuck up for them on various occasions. I honestly wanted to cry because that warmed my heart so much to hear. I would love to attend and my faculty interviews went super well, so fingers crossed! If there's any other questions I could maybe answer for someone then let me know! ?

Those attending the UChicago visit in March: are you booking separate accommodation or does anyone know if accommodation will be provided for by the university on the nights of the 5th/6th? I didn't see any information about this on the registration page for the visit. I need to stay a few extra days in Chicago due to UK visa changeover stuff on the 10th and I'm planning to book an Airbnb for my extra 3 nights (I'll of course be paying for that myself). I don't want to book the Airbnb for the night before/of the visit, though, if accommodation is already provided for.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

46 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Those attending the UChicago visit in March: are you booking separate accommodation or does anyone know if accommodation will be provided for by the university on the nights of the 5th/6th? I didn't see any information about this on the registration page for the visit. I need to stay a few extra days in Chicago due to UK visa changeover stuff on the 10th and I'm planning to book an Airbnb for my extra 3 nights (I'll of course be paying for that myself). I don't want to book the Airbnb for the night before/of the visit, though, if accommodation is already provided for.

I would pose this one to the grad coordinator or DGS! If you get the email in now you'll have the advantage of being first in their inbox at open of business in Chicago, too. 

Hi! Just made an account to ask about the SMU visit in March. I got asked to attend and am curious what this event normally entails. I’m used to interview settings but the email seemed to indicate this was not really an interview event, so everything is just slightly foreign to me in terms of what to expect. Just seeing if anyone has any clue what these visits normally look like, even outside SMU.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, asongreference said:

Hi! Just made an account to ask about the SMU visit in March. I got asked to attend and am curious what this event normally entails. I’m used to interview settings but the email seemed to indicate this was not really an interview event, so everything is just slightly foreign to me in terms of what to expect. Just seeing if anyone has any clue what these visits normally look like, even outside SMU.

I can't speak to SMU specifically because I do not have a relationship to that school, but these events in general are meant to recruit admitted students into making the final push to enroll. In other words, this is now your opportunity to interview the school to make sure it is a good fit before you agree to whatever offer they have made to you by the universal April 15 deadline.

It will also be a chance to meet other students who will be in your cohort and get a better sense of what your life would be like while at the institution and living in that area. You will most likely meet professors whose interests align with yours, and you might even sit in on a graduate course to get a feel for how they are run. You will likely get a group tour of the department building and campus, and you will most likely eat meals with current graduate students and have the chance to candidly speak to them about their experiences in the program.

In other words, this visit is intended to be fun, build community, and convey to you that attending the program would be worth the half-decade plus you will be devoted to it. So enjoy it. But also, use it to your advantage. The program has made a commitment to you, but you have not yet made a commitment to the program. There are very few moments you will have power over your circumstances in academia, and this is one--however small it may be.

Gather intel about how students support themselves over the summer, if they work other jobs and where those are, where they live, if they are comfortable, where your children (if you have any) will be going to school or daycare, where your partner (should you have one) work, etc. The school will do everything it can to put on its best face for you, and they will do what they can to get you to make the decision to enroll. Use the opportunity to be kind, open, and honest about what you need to be successful, and see if in the absolute best of times (because you truly will never have the university on the hook like this again) if they are able to give you that. They might not be able to do much, but even knowing how they communicate that to you will be very telling about what life will be like over the coming years.

Edited by rhetoricus aesalon

What do people typically wear to campus visits? Like..... how professional should I look? On the one hand, I want to look professional and definitely want to “fit in.” On the other hand, I tend to be emotionally uncomfortable in fancy clothes (especially if I’m the only one). Plus, it sounds like I’ll be more or less coming straight from the airport, so that makes me think that they maybe don’t expect me to look super nice? 

is this something to ask the graduate coordinator (who has been organizing the visit)? 

I know, intellectually, that I shouldn’t be freaking out about this as much as I am (after all, I’m already in), but I’m definitely freaking out. 

On 2/11/2020 at 6:41 AM, Indecisive Poet said:

Sorry I'm late on this. Assuming things are like last year, they will cover X amount for travel (should be enough to cover your flight, unless you're international) and will book everyone in a hotel for a couple nights. I believe the rest of your stay is on you. They should (probably already have) reach out about all this info. 

2 hours ago, MedievalIllusions said:

What do people typically wear to campus visits? Like..... how professional should I look? On the one hand, I want to look professional and definitely want to “fit in.” On the other hand, I tend to be emotionally uncomfortable in fancy clothes (especially if I’m the only one). Plus, it sounds like I’ll be more or less coming straight from the airport, so that makes me think that they maybe don’t expect me to look super nice? 

is this something to ask the graduate coordinator (who has been organizing the visit)? 

I know, intellectually, that I shouldn’t be freaking out about this as much as I am (after all, I’m already in), but I’m definitely freaking out. 

So I've never gone on a campus visit myself, but I was a party to recruitment days when I was doing my MFA, and I can tell you that most prospective students went the comfortable-but-presentable route (which also tends to be my personal style). I think there are some tips specific to wardrobe earlier in this thread, but for what it's worth, I plan to go with jeans, a decent sweater, and shoes made for walkin' (which, in my case, are a new-ish pair of Converse). 

I think it's less about looking "professional" (whatever that means--because it's so often coded, right?) and more about dressing in clothes that will make you feel good and not self-conscious. You're visiting the campus to get a sense of the school, the students, and the faculty: that task is overwhelming enough without also worrying about what you're wearing because you've chosen something that isn't you and that you can't feel fully at-ease in. My advice: dress in the clothes you feel most yourself in, within reason (like, your coziest sweatpants would probably be a no-no, but your favorite pair of jeans should be totally fine), and try to devote your energy to really immersing yourself in the experience and doing your due diligence in "interviewing" the program, as it were. You'll do great!

50 minutes ago, politics 'n prose said:

So I've never gone on a campus visit myself, but I was a party to recruitment days when I was doing my MFA, and I can tell you that most prospective students went the comfortable-but-presentable route (which also tends to be my personal style). I think there are some tips specific to wardrobe earlier in this thread, but for what it's worth, I plan to go with jeans, a decent sweater, and shoes made for walkin' (which, in my case, are a new-ish pair of Converse). 

I think it's less about looking "professional" (whatever that means--because it's so often coded, right?) and more about dressing in clothes that will make you feel good and not self-conscious. You're visiting the campus to get a sense of the school, the students, and the faculty: that task is overwhelming enough without also worrying about what you're wearing because you've chosen something that isn't you and that you can't feel fully at-ease in. My advice: dress in the clothes you feel most yourself in, within reason (like, your coziest sweatpants would probably be a no-no, but your favorite pair of jeans should be totally fine), and try to devote your energy to really immersing yourself in the experience and doing your due diligence in "interviewing" the program, as it were. You'll do great!

Thank you!! This makes me feel so much better. It all seems so much more manageable when I imagine myself in clothes that I’m comfortable in, I was just so worried about doing the “wrong” thing!