So I want to know about the importance of attending one of these. I've already been on an official visit to one of the programs that accepted me. Would I be missing out on something significant if I declined to attend? (mind you, this school is a Top 3 choice--the date of the visit falls on an awkward day for my schedule).

Edited by NoirFemme

35 minutes ago, NoirFemme said:

So I want to know about the importance of attending one of these. I've already been on an official visit to one of the programs that accepted me. Would I be missing out on something significant if I declined to attend? (mind you, this school is a Top 3 choice--the date of the visit falls on an awkward day for my schedule).

As far as I've been told by my mentors, etc, they're not mandatory at all, and being unable to attend won't have any impact on your status. Legally they can't reject you after sending the initial letter. That being said, they're a good way to get a feel for the general tenor of the program, your fit with faculty members, and the other admits. So  no, you're not going to miss anything vital, but they can help with hard decisions.

2 hours ago, claritus said:

As far as I've been told by my mentors, etc, they're not mandatory at all, and being unable to attend won't have any impact on your status. Legally they can't reject you after sending the initial letter. That being said, they're a good way to get a feel for the general tenor of the program, your fit with faculty members, and the other admits. So  no, you're not going to miss anything vital, but they can help with hard decisions.

See, that's the thing--the visit is to the same school I visited last year. I've already met with the faculty and current students. But the DGS and other POI contacted me with the expectation that I'll be there. So I'm like...uhh um! Should I then be there?

2 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

See, that's the thing--the visit is to the same school I visited last year. I've already met with the faculty and current students. But the DGS and other POI contacted me with the expectation that I'll be there. So I'm like...uhh um! Should I then be there?

My program uses this weekend to set up meetings for you with folks in the department and across the college who you may want to work with at some point. This is especially important, and some of those meetings will have money tied to them in the form of fellowships, assistantships, research funds. Yes, programs also want you to come because it's their opportunity to convince you to come there instead of other options, but if it's a school you are seriously considering you should make the time to attend if possible.

From my experience last year, I turned down a program after leaving recruitment feeling that the 2-3 profs I really wanted to work with didn't feel the same way about my research direction I did.

12 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

I agree with what the others have said about the importance of attending.

That being said, a good "middle ground" option might be to talk to the DGS about coming on a different day -- one that works better for your schedule. I know that at least a few of the programs I've applied to will still offer the same funding for a visit on a different day, so long as it's before April 15th.

2 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

That being said, a good "middle ground" option might be to talk to the DGS about coming on a different day -- one that works better for your schedule. I know that at least a few of the programs I've applied to will still offer the same funding for a visit on a different day, so long as it's before April 15th.

I can second this. I was invited to an official weekend but couldn't attend due to something at work. I contacted them and told them I couldn't come to that because of my work schedule, and asked about other dates. They were very flexible and willing to work with me. They've accepted you and want to meet with you to convince you to attend. But I will say I'm not going to get all the same perks as the official visit day.

19 hours ago, bhr said:

My program uses this weekend to set up meetings for you with folks in the department and across the college who you may want to work with at some point. This is especially important, and some of those meetings will have money tied to them in the form of fellowships, assistantships, research funds. Yes, programs also want you to come because it's their opportunity to convince you to come there instead of other options, but if it's a school you are seriously considering you should make the time to attend if possible.

From my experience last year, I turned down a program after leaving recruitment feeling that the 2-3 profs I really wanted to work with didn't feel the same way about my research direction I did.

12 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

9 hours ago, kirbs005 said:

I can second this. I was invited to an official weekend but couldn't attend due to something at work. I contacted them and told them I couldn't come to that because of my work schedule, and asked about other dates. They were very flexible and willing to work with me. They've accepted you and want to meet with you to convince you to attend. But I will say I'm not going to get all the same perks as the official visit day.

Thanks for the advice everyone! 

I hate to think that I'm missing out on anything important, but I've come up with multiple solutions to get out there and haven't found one that will work financially or time-wise (I'm still in school and have a job). :(

I think (and hope!) it will be okay since I have already met the DGS, most of my POI, and current grad students. 

I have a question that somewhat has to do with this. Is anyone else going to the Texas A&M recruitment days? I'm planning on going! I'd really like to make friends and we'd already have something in common, we're both on the GC!

This sounds like such a silly question, but what is the typical dress code for these weekends? I tend to live in jeans and semi-nice tops, would that be too casual? I want to be comfortable but also certainly don't want to seem disrespectful. 

Im sure there will eventually be some sort of itinerary to help with this, too, but I'm a paranoid planner lol 

5 hours ago, mereandtonks said:

This sounds like such a silly question, but what is the typical dress code for these weekends? I tend to live in jeans and semi-nice tops, would that be too casual? I want to be comfortable but also certainly don't want to seem disrespectful.  

I also live in jeans, and am planning on wearing some to my visit. I think that as long as you look tidy, it should be fine. You want to feel comfortable so you can make the most of your visit.

I usually wear skinny jeans with heels or nice flats and a blouse when I teach, so I figured I'd just go that route because I feel most comfortable and can act naturally. It's pretty middle ground as far as the others in my department -- we have people who prefer baggy jeans and sandals all the way to suits/nice dresses. I can't speak for the departments I have yet to visit, but I've worked at three different schools so far (adjuncting and my current full time position), and it seems to be pretty consistent.

16 hours ago, mereandtonks said:

Im sure there will eventually be some sort of itinerary to help with this, too, but I'm a paranoid planner lol 

I would dress however you feel comfortable. However, know that some people will dress up quite formally, especially if there is any type of reception or dinner.  

On 2/19/2017 at 4:50 PM, NowMoreSerious said:

I would dress however you feel comfortable. However, know that some people will dress up quite formally, especially if there is any type of reception or dinner.  

I maaaaaaay be using my visiting days as an excuse to buy a ~fancy trendy~ new suit. I'm hoping that since it's Austin they'll be ok with me dressing like a weirdo overall

(So excited to visit UT!)

1 minute ago, Scarlet A+ said:

I got accepted to Alabama's MA program, fully funded with stipend, but the email and letter did not mention a recruitment weekend. Are they only for PhD students? Or am I misunderstanding something? 

Huzzah!

For the Strode program, I know it's just a case-by-case basis -- I was told that if I get off the waitlist, they'll make travel arrangements for me to visit etc. I'm not sure if it's the same for non-Strode acceptances, but it's definitely a question worth asking the DGS. :)

6 hours ago, metaleptic said:

Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant who has been very fortunate to receive a few offers this cycle. I've been invited to the visiting weekends of the schools, but am hesitant about attending: I am eager to talk to the people in the programs and get a feel of the campuses and cities, but I also suffer from anxiety issues and have had people suspect that I'm mildly autistic (though I've never been tested).

Thus, even though I'm extremely keen on visiting and quite familiar with the works of my POIs, I know that I will blabber nonsensically when I meet them in person, let alone conduct myself in a socially acceptable way over the scheduled meals. (I will probably be staring at my plate and avoiding eye contact or making comments like "Warm fish cool knife? Interesting!") I'm afraid of giving a bad impression to the faculty, especially because I am going to do graduate work in, and teach, English--no one wants a graduate student who can't even speak properly! It's not that I am not fluent or proficient in English; I just freeze up in social situations. I also have this irrational fear that the departments are going to retract their offers after interacting with me in person. Is this my anxiety and paranoia talking? Compounding this fear are the logistics of travel: it takes over 20 hours to fly from where I am to North America, so I don't want to present an exhausted, anxious, jet-lagged self to the people whom I wish to work with.

I would love to hear from anyone who may have struggled with issues similar to mine, and how you managed it, whether in relation to visiting weekends or, more generally, through the entire of graduate school.

Cheers!

Congratulations on your offers! I can't say that I've worked with and through challenges exactly like those you've described, but I do realize visit weekends can be very stressful, and the pressure to perform well can be crippling. That said, I have a few thoughts.

First: I know that many schools do not expect international applicants to attend visit weekends, given the logistics of international travel (not to mention the expenses) are far more complicated than those for domestic applicants. That said, you've already been invited to the visit weekends, so it's clear that your schools are open to paying for your travel. All in all, if you decide you simply can't swing the trip, you can ask to schedule phone or Skype conversations with your POIs, so you can at least approximate the experience you'd have of getting to know them in person.

Second: I've never heard of a school rescinding an offer simply because an accepted student didn't perform well at a visit weekend. You've been accepted on the strength of your written work and research history; being nervous and withdrawn on a visit weekend is not a cause for retraction. At the very least, try to put this worry out of your mind -- you've been accepted, and now it's the school's turn to court you.

Third: If you do decide to go, I'd try writing out some remarks for each potential person you'd speak with. That way, when you're actually speaking with them, you've already considered your responses and can deliver careful, measured remarks. I think it's also definitely okay to express how nervous you are, if you think that will make you feel better; the faculty and students you'll be meeting aren't looking to evaluate or judge you, and if anything, they'll just try to offer more support in that instance.

Not directly a campus visit and not a promise of admission or anything (I haven't even applied yet), but has anyone joined in a virtual Q&A session?

On 2/12/2017 at 6:22 AM, KTF87 said:

anybody going to CMU on March 1st and/or 2nd?

I am! But I have been trying to get in touch with the assistant director about the schedule and logistics because I have an exam that Friday, has anyone else gotten details? I really need to know ASAP. 

On 2/21/2017 at 10:26 AM, Scarlet A+ said:

I got accepted to Alabama's MA program, fully funded with stipend, but the email and letter did not mention a recruitment weekend. Are they only for PhD students? Or am I misunderstanding something? 

When I visited Bama before attending for my MA, I did so by myself, without any other new admits. I mentioned to the Strode director I was going to be in the state visiting family on a certain long weekend, asked if I could swing through Tuscaloosa, and she made arrangements with faculty and other grad students to meet with me. It was all very informal. 

On 2/25/2017 at 5:50 PM, greenhousegoth said:

I am! But I have been trying to get in touch with the assistant director about the schedule and logistics because I have an exam that Friday, has anyone else gotten details? I really need to know ASAP. 

hey!

they should have sent you the itinerary - i got mine

we should check in at Baker Hall no later than 9 am on Wednesday - and the whole thing lasts til 7 pm.

they also sent out two surveys for the hotel reservation and seminars we'd like to attend!

PM me and send me ur number if you'd like; I got a US line! lol; we can keep in touch till then!

I am in State College for now but will be going to Pitt by bus tomorrow evening

18 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

hey!

they should have sent you the itinerary - i got mine

we should check in at Baker Hall no later than 9 am on Wednesday - and the whole thing lasts til 7 pm.

they also sent out two surveys for the hotel reservation and seminars we'd like to attend!

PM me and send me ur number if you'd like; I got a US line! lol; we can keep in touch till then!

I am in State College for now but will be going to Pitt by bus tomorrow evening

Did you end up receiving an offer? :D 

3 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Did you end up receiving an offer? :D 

hehehe from CMU and PSU yes, a long time ago! I shared the news here. What about you? You going to CMU too??? :D

Hopkins and McGill rejected me - waiting on NYU (though no really), and NW (Performance Studies)

32 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

hehehe from CMU and PSU yes, a long time ago! I shared the news here. What about you? You going to CMU too??? :D

Hopkins and McGill rejected me - waiting on NYU (though no really), and NW (Performance Studies)

Ah, I hadn't seen the news, congrats! Nope, my time has not come yet. 

Now back to the main topic :D