FaultyPowers

Anthropology Decisions 2015

Recommended Posts

I'll almost certainly be at UCLA, though I'm sort of toying with some waitlist options. I was wildly surprised at how much I loved the city of LA (as a lifetime resident of the Northeast) and really liked how supportive the faculty was of my proposed research. The biggest hurdle in finalizing my decision has been my partner's options and coping with the idea of long distance (he's one of those rare folks who got into nearly every program he applied to with great funding). Wherever he ends up, I'm really excited about joining this sociocultural cohort!

 

Congrats on UCLA! I sent you a PM, BTW. 

 

Congrats to all making their decisions - Faulty, SMG, MuseumGeek, etc. YAY! 

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere in the 'Graduate' section of the department's website there should be either a "Contact Us" or a "For More Information about the Graduate Program" link; if not, look through the 'Faculty & Staff' section and find the contact info for the Department Secretary or the Grad Studies Coordinator. If you've established an email correspondence with a specific POI, I would suggest that you email her/him as well.

 Thank you! I emailed the professor I was in contact with during the application. He said they are on Spring Break and applicants will hear back in the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a natural self-saboteur and professional buyer's remorse....uh....haver. I accepted my one offer before hearing the final decision on funding on my other offer and part of me is like.....it'd have to be AMAZING, but what if it IS!!!!?????

 

So for self-doubting types like me, or for people who find themselves suddenly surprised by funding or additional offers elsewhere, after they've accepted, worry not! I present you with the April 15th Resolution, by the Council of Graduate Schools: 

 

https://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

 

Basically, any acceptance BEFORE April 15th is non-binding, as long as you write a letter to the school withdrawing your acceptance. So if you accept and then get a better offer, accept the better offer and write your initial acceptance to withdraw. No harm, no foul. Except on a personal level of course but what are you gonna do?

 

If you accept AFTER April 15th the matter becomes much more complicated and the first place has to write a letter releasing you before you can accept anywhere else. 

Edited by FaultyPowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that info, Faulty. I posted in the other thread, but I'm still kind of waiting to hear whether or not any of the PhD programs I got into are going to offer me funding before 4/15. I have what seem like strange circumstances: I was accepted into every PhD program I applied to in two fields, but only the Masters program I applied to has offered me a funding package. Does anyone know if funding offers this late in the game are common, or do they typically come closer to being accepted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My funding offer is supposed to come today. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about when funding offers come, but it seems unprofessional to come AFTER April 15. I only know that today's the day for mine because I've been asking (pestering) the department secretary about it. This is a hugely significant component of the offer and I think you have every right to ask for information as soon as possible. If funding isn't automatic that means it's attached to a TA/GA/RA position, which means you're working for it. Which means you are basically an employee and I feel like they need to treat you as they would a new hire. I'd see getting a job offer and then waiting a few weeks for salary info....a month tops. But two months or more is ridiculous. 

 

Have you contacted those PhD programs to ask when the funding decisions will be announced? If not, I say do it! They can't rescind your acceptance or anything, so there is literally no reason not to. And it wouldn't hurt to mention that the reason you're asking is because you have a funded offer and you want to "..be able to make an informed decision as soon as possible". You don't...and I definitely wouldn't...have to specify that the funded offer you have is for an MA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you accept an offer you should honor it. The only rule about April 15 is if that university signed the agreement the deadline is april15 however in reality a university can legally give you any deadline they want. Also, if you accept an offer then later decline for a better option you could be committing are er suicide and be black listed in the field. You need all he contacts you an get and you don't want to make an enemy this short into your career. If you accepted an offer honor it, if your not sure dont accept if the deadline is near ask for an extension most times they will give it to you. But always keep your word or it could come back. And bite you in the a**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed in theory, but not necessarily in practice. Be polite and try not to burn bridges but things happen.

In my specific case the point is moot, as I did not get funding at my second acceptance. Nope! Decision validated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again, Faulty. It's my first time at this rodeo, but I agree that it seems a bit uncouth to potentially wait until after 4/15 to make funding offers. Obviously there are a multitude of factors that go into funding students, and sometimes late funding possibilities come up, but programs have to know that places prospective students in a difficult situation.

 

I haven't reached out to anyone yet, but I've gotten a couple "funding decisions will be announced in the coming weeks" emails. I know some departments are on spring break this week and next, and that could affect funding announcements. I'll give it until the week of the 3/23, and then I'll start reaching out to my programs. I really can't complain too much; there are worse problems to have than having my pick from a half-dozen PhD programs, but I know better than to pay to play (especially out of state). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

homo_ignotus, this is my first time at this rodeo too, so keep that in mind, but I think your plan sounds very sensible and fair. One of my options still hadn't provided funding details, so I emailed them the other day to explain my situation, and they were very gracious and understanding. They weren't able to give me the exact information I needed that day, but they reassured me that it would come by no later than the end of March. I can live with that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again, Faulty. It's my first time at this rodeo, but I agree that it seems a bit uncouth to potentially wait until after 4/15 to make funding offers. Obviously there are a multitude of factors that go into funding students, and sometimes late funding possibilities come up, but programs have to know that places prospective students in a difficult situation.

 

I haven't reached out to anyone yet, but I've gotten a couple "funding decisions will be announced in the coming weeks" emails. I know some departments are on spring break this week and next, and that could affect funding announcements. I'll give it until the week of the 3/23, and then I'll start reaching out to my programs. I really can't complain too much; there are worse problems to have than having my pick from a half-dozen PhD programs, but I know better than to pay to play (especially out of state). 

 

Yeah, and honestly, things DO happen; you're not going to be "blacklisted" and it's not going to be "career suicide" if you end up having to withdraw an acceptance; you could try requesting an extension and explain why you need it, but if they won't grant it then they're forcing your hand. They may remember you if for some reason you apply there again the next year or something....but why would you be doing that? I can't imagine a scenario in which seven years from now, with research, teaching, publications and who knows what else under your belt, you're rejected for a job that you're otherwise perfect for specifically because of something you did before you even started doctoral training. Even if every single professor in the department is pissed at you as of May 1st 2015, how would they even maintain enough passion to remember who you are virtually a decade later!? And the professors are not the same thing as the college. I don't imagine they're any happier about delays in funding announcements than you are, they will remember being in your shoes, and they WILL understand.

 

...unless they're just assholes. In which case they would have found some reason to be pissed at you even if you'd accepted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faulty, you're absolutely right and I am honestly not worried about any kind of career suicide. I have (to my knowledge) good rapport with all of the PIs I applied to work with, and they are all familiar with my situation. I can't speak for them, but I'm sure they would all love to be able to offer me some kind of funding (and they still might). The flip side of that is that I would love to work with any of the 6, so funding being equal, my decision would still be incredibly tough. Whatever happens, I will notify each of them with my decision and an explanation thereof. I've found that a little honesty and clear communication go a long way, and if not, then the person might in fact be an asshole as you said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faulty- yes professors hold grudges. Every subfield is a small field in relative. You end up knowing everyone. In fact one prof I turned down asked me at a conference three years later why I turned them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the game here (haven't been on the forum in a while) but while the UC system is struggling financially, Irvine's anthro department is loaded. They just got a ton of Gates money. Departments have funding through external sources as well, so you can't really judge a school/department based on the state of the education system as a whole in a lot of cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the game here (haven't been on the forum in a while) but while the UC system is struggling financially, Irvine's anthro department is loaded. They just got a ton of Gates money. Departments have funding through external sources as well, so you can't really judge a school/department based on the state of the education system as a whole in a lot of cases.

Thanks! I'm still waitlisted (no email stating otherwise) and it's good to know that Irvine is not struggling financially. Congrats on the admit.

 

Does anyone have any UVA updates? Does anyone have any thoughts on the department there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, I know I posted this in the other forum page but Right now Im deciding between Sheffield and Georgia State. Just waiting on funding but I hope to go to Georgia for the Fall for Bioarchaeology and Forensic Anthro, then reapply for 2017 season. anyone down in that area? 

Edited by Bschaefer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now