University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire (online)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have accepted and paid the $100 so I can register. Haven't heard of a Facebook group yet. Please let me know if one is created. Have you decided to attend?

Yes, I believe I will send my acceptance tomorrow. Did they tell you about the $100 after you accepted? The letter I got doesn't mention it.

Once you accept, they will contact the Graduate Studies office, who will then send out a letter of acceptance and instructions.  You can then pay the $100 and set-up email, etc.  I think it is going to be an awesome adventure and am looking forward to meeting you!   :)

I sent my acceptance to Dr. Stadler electronically this morning. She already replied, so I guess I'm set! She communicated my decision to the Graduate office, so they'll send my official paperwork next week.

I'd like to set up a FB group for us, but I have to have at least one FB friend to add to the group! Will you send me a private message with your name so I can send you a friend request then add you to create the group?

• 1 month later...

I am not to the grad program stage yet.  I just got accepted into online SLPA program which I'll start in the fall.  UW Eau Claire looks like the best option for SLP, I like the online program they offer.  However, I have to do 1 one week residency per year for 3 years.  I will take a week vacation for that, which is no problem I am in IL, so I will have to stay in a hotel the whole week, which will be pricey.  It's a 4 hr drive.  I am a little worried about the practicum which says you need to do 40 hours a week but if I am working 20 hours a week as a SLPA that is gonna suck, and now it looks like 40 hours a week for 10 weeks, possibly more, because the 400 hours have to be not observing or something.  Has anyone else worked part time during their practicum? So that would mean I would work 60 hours a week or could I possibly implement 20 hours of my SLPA into the practicum so I'd only have to do 20 hours elsewhere? 

Another option is Tseng online College where there's no residency needed.   Just 400 hours in my community at a variety of places, however it's a little more expensive than Eau Claire.  

Any advice? 

Thanks.  

P.S.  I got accepted into an online SLPA program but it says they're waiting for IL to authorize approval of using an online school.  Not sure how I got accepted if they're still waiting for approval.  Any advice on this too would be helpful. 

I will be attending UW-Eau Claire's online graduate program starting in June.  We have the option of staying in campus housing for the 1 week summer residency - only $170 for the week.  I live in MN and the drive is 3 hours for me.  You need to obtain 400 clock hours total (25 observation) and the practicums are spread out over several semesters.  The only time you will need to put in 40 hour weeks is during your final semester - 9 weeks in each a school and medical setting.  I think you need to look on the website again.  I graduated with my BS many years ago and was grandfathered in as a Speech Clinician with a teaching license.  I currently work full-time for a school district and will continue to during graduate school.  My school is letting me take a sabbatical during the final semester and I plan on putting extra hours in during the summer.  I REALLY want my Master's degree, so will be doing whatever is necessary to make it work.

I don't know anything about Tseng online college.  Just make sure that it is ASHA accredited so that you can get your CCC.

Exciting things for you to think about!  Wishing you the best!  :)

Thank you for your reply so quickly! I followed the topic, but it never sent me a notification on your reply.  Strange.

Well my bachelor's degree is in Sociology/Human Services, and it's BA, not BS.  I was informed I just need to do the SLPA associates degree, then do pre-requisites for SLP Master's program.  Well I believe Eau Claire has a special deal with MN, not IL.  I don't quite understand that, but ok.  Tseng College is 100 dollars more per credit.  It's all online though.  So, are you saying I can get a SLPA job with my bachelor's degree? 

Wish you luck as well.  How did you get accepted? I'm reading horror stories on the internet on getting into grad school.  Other forums are saying SLPA degree is dying, and national statistics aren't saying that.  In fact, it's saying it's growing, and that IL has above average job opportunities for SLPA.  What is a sabbatical? 

Another question I wonder if I could do part of the 40 hours/week requirement for 9 weeks at my future SLPA job.  I was planning on working 20-25 hrs a week as SLPA which should more money than I'm making now working 40 hours.  Could 20 hours of my future SLPA job count towards SLP practicum? Then 20 more hours at various other locations.  

One more thing:  How are you going to finance your grad school if you don't mind me asking? I'm kind of worried about it myself.  My SLPA degree program will be affordable.  I can pay payment plan, it's only 250/month.  However, grad school sounds so expensive.  I don't think working at a school will work for me, because I need to make money all year round.  I'm thinking of nursing home, hospital or therapy agency, or contract agency where I go where I'm needed.  

Thanks again.

I'm not sure that I understand why you need to get an SLPA associate's degree if you want to be an SLP?  Couldn't you just do the post-bacc sequence before applying to graduate school?  MN has reciprocity with Wisconsin, but it doesn't appear to apply to graduate credits.  I believe that UWEC is $625 per credit.  In some states you can become an SLPA with a bachelor's degree in Communication Sciences and Disorder.  MN now requires a Master's degree to work as an SLP, unless you graduated before 1992 and are grandfathered in, like I am.

I got accepted into graduate school by having a good GPA (3.8), good GRE scores (V 161, Q 146, W 4), 16 years of relevant experience as a school-based speech clinician, a killer SOP, and excellent LORs by professors and my special education coordinator.  Probably a bit of good luck, as well! :)  A sabbatical is when a school district allows an educator to take time off and holds their job until they return.

I'm not sure about your SLPA job counting toward your hours.  As you would be directly supervised by an SLP, it is possible.  You would need to check with the college.

I will be financing my Master's degree with my full-time job.  I am a widow and my daughter will be graduating from pharmacy school in May.  So, I will be done paying for her higher education and can pay for mine.  There is large discrepancy in tuition rates among graduate schools, so you will want to research that thoroughly, as well.  Yep, graduate school is expensive.  Luckily, once finished, it will provide you with a career that is in high demand and pays well.  As far as making money all year round, my salary is spread out over the 12 months, so I receive a summer check as well.  

Hope this helps a little!   

I'm not sure that I understand why you need to get an SLPA associate's degree if you want to be an SLP?  Couldn't you just do the post-bacc sequence before applying to graduate school?  MN has reciprocity with Wisconsin, but it doesn't appear to apply to graduate credits.  I believe that UWEC is $625 per credit.  In some states you can become an SLPA with a bachelor's degree in Communication Sciences and Disorder.  MN now requires a Master's degree to work as an SLP, unless you graduated before 1992 and are grandfathered in, like I am.

I got accepted into graduate school by having a good GPA (3.8), good GRE scores (V 161, Q 146, W 4), 16 years of relevant experience as a school-based speech clinician, a killer SOP, and excellent LORs by professors and my special education coordinator.  Probably a bit of good luck, as well! :)  A sabbatical is when a school district allows an educator to take time off and holds their job until they return.

I'm not sure about your SLPA job counting toward your hours.  As you would be directly supervised by an SLP, it is possible.  You would need to check with the college.

I will be financing my Master's degree with my full-time job.  I am a widow and my daughter will be graduating from pharmacy school in May.  So, I will be done paying for her higher education and can pay for mine.  There is large discrepancy in tuition rates among graduate schools, so you will want to research that thoroughly, as well.  Yep, graduate school is expensive.  Luckily, once finished, it will provide you with a career that is in high demand and pays well.  As far as making money all year round, my salary is spread out over the 12 months, so I receive a summer check as well.  

Hope this helps a little!   

Well SLPA degree will help me make more money than I am now to afford (hopefully) grad school.  Not only that, the SLPA knowledge will better prepare me for grad school.  I don't want to set myself up to fail.  I have heard getting SLPA is cheaper and quicker than getting Bachelor's degree in SLP.  I highly doubt I'll get accepted into grad school with a BA in Sociology/Human services, GPA of 3.11.  No experience in Speech AT ALL.  There is no way I could afford 625/credit on my current job right now.  

What would you do if you were me lol 

• 2 years later...

Hi. I've been in your shoes before when I first started applying to SLP grad programs. They want to see the pre-reqs so I would enroll in a SLP prep program. They're also called post bacc SLP programs. Lots of them around online and offline. Grad schools won't consider you at all until you get some pre-req classes. Aim for 3.0 and above. Averages are above 3.5. Minimum GPA is 3. And the real kicker is a lot of them won't accept SLPA classes. Its insane I know. 

Good luck. 

• 10 months later...

I know this is an older thread but just curious if any one else applied to their part time distance program? I just received a letter that I was not accepted to their first round group but that I will be contacted in January if I am accepted their 2nd round.

2 hours ago, jess5822 said:

I applied to their online program and received the same letter. I was hoping to find out how many people have been "waitlisted".

Same here. Was everyone who was not accepted the first round waitlisted? That's sort of what it sounded like. 

33 minutes ago, jess5822 said:

That was my impression. But that seems like a lot of people though.

The email said over 180 applicants.....that does seem like alot. My guess is that if they have 30 slots then maybe they have like 15 to 20 waitlisted....This is my complete factless guess. But they are interviewing first...so I wonder if they dont accept everyone they interview then..? Ugh! So many questions!

• 4 weeks later...

I was contacted for an interview. Not sure how many they are interviewing. I was told that if a spot is offered I would be contacted around early to mid- February. Keep in mind that not everyone accepts an offer. I've seen many applicants get into a grad program after being pulled off of waitlist. 

23 minutes ago, Kitsy said:

I was contacted for an interview. Not sure how many they are interviewing. I was told that if a spot is offered I would be contacted around early to mid- February. Keep in mind that not everyone accepts an offer. I've seen many applicants get into a grad program after being pulled off of waitlist. 

Congratulations on the interview! If you dont mind sharing... when is it? In person, phone, Skype? 

I also was contacted for an interview -- mine is tomorrow.  They're doing them last week and this.  I'm working on prep right now, and trying not to be nervous. ?

9 minutes ago, kataphora said:

I also was contacted for an interview -- mine is tomorrow.  They're doing them last week and this.  I'm working on prep right now, and trying not to be nervous. ?

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!

4 hours ago, Ggslpa said:

Congratulations on the interview! If you dont mind sharing... when is it? In person, phone, Skype? 

Mine is on Wednesday but they have had them scheduled since last Friday. It is online through a video conferencing website. 

39 minutes ago, kataphora said:

Same here! Good luck tomorrow!