CV/Resume General Thread

On 8/29/2018 at 3:35 AM, invincible49 said:

Bumping for some advice:

Any idea how the resume should look in terms of the order? 

1. Does the work experience come first? Or education? PS: I have approximately 4 years of experience
  2. Include a profile/about me paragraph?
  3. Address/Telephone numbers/ Email etc? Do we generally include that below our name? 
  4. Do we also have to include our GPA?

Hi! I work in recruitment/hiring in the education sector so hopefully I can be of help here with some general resume advice - but keep in mind that this is a bit more relevant for job application resumes, but still, hope this is helpful: 

1. Work experience and education in terms of  order does not really matter. When applying for a job, it makes sense for people who have been out of school for 5+ years to list their work experience first, but I think when you're applying for graduate school and you haven't been out of school for that long, it makes the most sense to list education first. 

2. As a person that spends a lot of time reviewing a high volume of job applications - I can say that a profile/about me paragraph is barely glanced over. Since you'll be writing an SOP that would tell the reader a more detailed story of your interest in the sector and getting the degree, a short profile on your resume would seem redundant. 

3. It's actually a pretty big no these days to put your address on your resume (a safety risk to have total strangers know where you live, and it's completely irrelevant info for anybody reviewing your resume). Listing your city and state, cell phone number and email is a much more standard practice. 

4. In the job hiring world, the rule of thumb is only put your GPA on your resume if it's a 3.5 and above - and even still, a lot of employers are not focused on that. I would say the same rule of thumb applies here, but leaving it out wouldn't necessarily hurt you since the admissions committee will have access to your grades and GPA anyway. Think of the resume as a way to sum up the academic and professional accomplishments that cannot be seen from looking at your transcript and scores - and then your SOP as a way to tell that story in more detail. 

Good luck!