Columbia 2015

DanioMasher

Got an offer from electrical engineering but still thinking, just wondering how do you guys find or plan to find roomates? I thought about renting a 1 bedroom but i will be new in the city and probably going to feel lonely living alone. On the other hand if roomate doesn't get along and it happens it will suck so much

My first choice in terms of housing is a dorm-style single room. But if that doesn't work out, I'm just gonna go with "the luck of the draw". I've had great roommates that were perfect strangers to me and crappy roommates who I had known ahead of time. I think as long as you set ground rules with the people you will be living with (and adhere to said rules), everyone comes out ok.

Just accepted my offer yesterday. Does anyone know what the chances are of landing the grad housing?

Great for Ph. D students. So-so for masters students depending on where you are applying to.

I'm just applying for the grad housing and hoping I get good roommates.  I don't really see myself sticking around in the grad housing for more than a semester or two though.  Hopefully living there will allow me to find some people who want to move out together to a better place.

Really hoping I don't end up in a shared bedroom though.  I want people to share a place with, but there's no way I could go back to sharing a room.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to ensure that doesn't happen.  If that happens, I'd probably just reject the housing offer.  Hopefully that doesn't happen, because I don't really have an alternate plan to find roommates.  I guess talking to people within this thread might be a decent start?

I heard Columbia has a housing website for people to post? I think having someone who also goes to Columbia would be a good idea, at least we all share something in common at some level. 

Hi everybody! Just accepted the offer to do a PhD in Communications at the Columbia Journalism school. 

I've been told that PhDs at the J-school are really unlikely to land housing, and that I should look off campus.

If anyone has that link referenced above, about a housing website other than UAH, I'd be grateful!

Edited by grad_wannabe

Hi everybody! Just accepted the offer to do a PhD in Communications at the Columbia Journalism school. 

I've been told that PhDs at the J-school are really unlikely to land housing, and that I should look off campus.

If anyone has that link referenced above, about a housing website other than UAH, I'd be grateful!

This is the link that I browsed today: https://ocha.facilities.columbia.edu

Greetings all!

I'll be joining Columbia's Ph.D. program in East Asian Languages and Cultures this fall. I'll also be in the Institute of Comparative Literature and Society-- look forward to joining you all in NYC this fall

Hey, so, I'm not sure why the IT page doesn't list Office 365 as a free download option.The page literally says that Columbia has a license agreement with Microsoft but:

University Affiliates NOT Covered

GRADUATES: Graduate and professional school students are NOT covered, with the exceptions of Business School and CUMC students.

University Affiliates Covered

GRADUATES: Columbia Business School, SIPA and Columbia University Medical Center students only

I don't know if this is just an issue with the page not being updated in the last year or a "the-right-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-left-hand-is-doing" situation.

Point being, if you guys need the MS Office Suite, we qualify for Office 365 with our university emails. 

Up until you graduate or are no longer affiliated with the school, you get access to:

• Full versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher
  • Access on up to 5 PCs or Macs and Office apps on other mobile devices including Android, iPad®, and Windows tablets.
  • 1TB of OneDrive storage (managed by the school)
  • Collaboration capabilities on Office Online, Yammer, and SharePoint sites

You can find out more/sign up here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

Off topic, Chai_latte, what dorm housing are you applying to?

Edited by Lycaon

Greetings all!

I'll be joining Columbia's Ph.D. program in East Asian Languages and Cultures this fall. I'll also be in the Institute of Comparative Literature and Society-- look forward to joining you all in NYC this fall

hi Zebby! I'll also be at the institute of Comparative Literature and Society next year--when are you planning on taking that first mandatory course? I think I'll take it in the Spring. hope to see you!

Hey, so, I'm not sure why the IT page doesn't list Office 365 as a free download option.The page literally says that Columbia has a license agreement with Microsoft but:

I don't know if this is just an issue with the page not being updated in the last year or a "the-right-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-left-hand-is-doing" situation.

Point being, if you guys need the MS Office Suite, we qualify for Office 365 with our university emails. 

Up until you graduate or are no longer affiliated with the school, you get access to:

• Full versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher
  • Access on up to 5 PCs or Macs and Office apps on other mobile devices including Android, iPad®, and Windows tablets.
  • 1TB of OneDrive storage (managed by the school)
  • Collaboration capabilities on Office Online, Yammer, and SharePoint sites

You can find out more/sign up here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

Off topic, Chai_latte, what dorm housing are you applying to?

Hey,

Sorry...I haven't been checking this page.  I applied specifically to the TC housing.  So, there were three options for me: Whittier, Bancroft and New dorm (on 120th and 121st).

Just accepted Columbia's offer. I'll be there for Electrical Engineering! Anyone else EE? Who found housing already?

I'm so excited!!

Edited by zj868

• 2 weeks later...

yea I got the email! I love my new apt--right across from campus :)

Awesome, congrats!!! That'll be super convenient.

I still have yet to submit my app for I-House. I need to get my loan information first. This process is so tedious :/

At least I don't have to worry about my ticket to NY now

Edited by Lycaon

Hello people!

I am planning to sneak a cat in Columbia Couples Housing. Any thoughts on the matter?

As a former foster parent of feral kittens, I understand the temptation, but it is not worth the risk.

It's already a bad case scenario if you get caught. You might be fined or have to give up the cat. But by violating the renter's contract, you could be evicted from the facility and/or lose your security deposit. And any blemish on your renter's history might haunt you later in life the next time you want to rent an apartment. Even if an apartment you apply to in the future is pet friendly, you may not be looked upon favorably if previous landlords mention that you have a history of violating agreements.