Turned Down Offers Thread

saw someone start one of these a couple of years ago and it seemed to go over well. This isn't meant to be a place to harass people to make decisions, just a place to reveal what programs you've declined (and accepted if possible) and what subfield you're in, to give waitlisters a way to gauge waitlist movement.

good luck!

On that note.....I'm almost positive I'll be turning down a funded PhD offer at Northeastern within the next week. Hope that helps someone!

Turned down: Florida, Oregon, Kansas, UMass Amherst, SUNY Binghamton, William and Mary (Am Studies)

Picking Between: Austin, Chapel Hill, UC Davis (will probably turn down UC Davis but I'm still nervous about funding and UC Davis offered me a lot more)

Areas: Nineteenth- and early- twentieth-century American literature and culture (Am. regionalism, domestic literature, immigrant literature); space and place studies, gender studies. 

Turned down: Miami University (fully funded MA), Chicago MAPH, will turn down U of Iowa PhD if I end up off the waitlist.

Accepted: UT-Austin English PhD

Areas: Dramatic literature (particularly 20th and 21st century Anglo-American), philosophy and literature, 20th/21st century American, film (especially film noir and the nouvelle vague).

I don't think this affects any regulars, but I turned down University of Rhode Island's funding offer by default (didn't accept by their deadline).

I've turned down Nebraska, Iowa State, Purdue, and TCU. Still need to talk with Clemson and Michigan State and officially accept Florida State. I hate sending these emails though--it feels like a break-up each time! 

Re: MSU... Are you English or WRAC?

I chickened out and emailed--the DGS if I didn't have a lot of contact with the school, or the DGS and POIs if I did. I'm done with my notifications, so at this point I've turned down Notre Dame (Medieval Studies, the rest are English), Yale, OSU, UCONN, Stanford, Cornell, and Urbana. Hope there's good news in there for someone!

I turned down, uh, all the schools I didn't apply to.

*fits in*

hahaha...me too. What are schmucks like us doing in this thread? Living vicariously, I guess. ;) Congrats to all of your deserving scholars out there!

Just turned down offer from UVA, and will also turn down offer from UChicago's MAPH tonight... hope that will help out somebody out there on the wait list!! =]