Turned Down Offers Thread

*scours thread, hoping against hope to see that someone is planning to turn down offer from Boston College*

Oh, hey guys. I took myself off the waitlist at University of Rochester if anyone's into that kind of thing?

Took myself off the waitlist at Pitt, and turned down Literary and Cultural Studies PhD at Carnegie Mellon. I hope this means good news for one of you guys :)

Edited by FoolofaTook

Turned down Georgia State; I believe someone on GC mentioned being on the funding WL. I hope it goes to you!

That was me! But I turned down GSU too, so it will go to another deserving candidate.

Speaking of which: there's now another position at Georgia State! 

Just turned down Rutgers :( Super hard decision, but I hope this frees up a space for someone on the waitlist!

Awwww I'm sure it was the right choice, but I'm sad we won't be in the same cohort!

Anyone planning to turn down a spot at Emory???

It is in my (limited) understanding, that two students have just been pulled from the waitlist and invited to interview. I know that at least two out of the original seven spots have opened up, and I believe that the department has already started moving toward filling the available spot.

Edited by hypervodka

Thanks for the information! How did you find out if you don't mind me asking?

I know both of the students who turned down the offer (because I'm one of them  :P ), but I only know about the two students being invited to interview through the grapevine.

Edited by hypervodka

Anyone still considering turning down UCLA? Sorry to badger, just going crazy over here. I'm happy with my other school, but knowledge is power and I want to know all my options :)

I wish you the best of luck, especially because with those interests we would be in the same circles. 

In a minute, I'm going to take myself off the waitlist (not quite the same as turning down, but it might mean something to someone, all the same) Tufts for 19th C. American. 

In a minute, I'm going to take myself off the waitlist (not quite the same as turning down, but it might mean something to someone, all the same) Tufts for 19th C. American. 

Yay for "Movement".. the word has genuinely metaphysical implications for me now :)

Declined Stanford English.  Hope someone here benefits.  It seems redundant to relate how awesome everything was there, so I'll simply state it is as good of a place as you would assume.

Will be attending UChicago in the fall!  Quite excited. 

Best wishes to all going forward.

Declined Stanford English.  Hope someone here benefits.  It seems redundant to relate how awesome everything was there, so I'll simply state it is as good of a place as you would assume.

Will be attending UChicago in the fall!  Quite excited. 

Best wishes to all going forward.

Congrats on your decision! Everyone I spoke to at UChicago when I was considering MAPH was awesome. Seems like a very supportive place.

After much hand-wringing, thought, and dark-night-of-the-souling, I decided to turn down the offer of admission from Brandeis. This was, no lie, the most difficult decision I've had to make, certainly in my college career. But I think it wasn't right for a lot of reasons -- none of which, I might add, had to do with the program. Thank you all to everyone here who helped and offered advice. I honestly didn't know about this place until midway through the application process, when half my apps had gone out. But I plan on sticking around! 

Good luck to everyone who applied/is still waiting on an offer, and I hope that my spot goes to someone great! 

Edited by BLeonard