Turned Down Offers Thread

For everyone who's declining offers...how are you declining offers? I'm way to anxious to call, but I'm nervous about how much detail to put into the email! The school I'm declining worked really hard to raise funding for me, and several POIs have kept up with me in the application process. I'm hoping to hear what others have done!

3 minutes ago, spectrum-in said:

For everyone who's declining offers...how are you declining offers? I'm way to anxious to call, but I'm nervous about how much detail to put into the email! The school I'm declining worked really hard to raise funding for me, and several POIs have kept up with me in the application process. I'm hoping to hear what others have done!

I emailed the dgs saying, "I wanted to update you on the status of my decisions. I have decided to go to another institution for my MA/PhD. I truly appreciate all the time and resources that has been put behind my acceptances to ____. Let me know if there are any more steps to make this decision official. All the best___".

I kept it short and simple and each program responded with well wishes. A few did ask which school I went with and I told them! You may wish to follow-up with your POI's. I did this for one school and they were very understanding and asked me to keep in contact throughout my schooling!. 

Long time lurker here! This thread has been so helpful so I wanted to add my own contribution: I sent in, via snail mail, my decline for UToronto's fully-funded PhD offer a few days ago. I'm from the States, so it might take a bit of time to arrive - but I did want to post in case anyone is waiting on them!

Officially declined Texas A&M's offer today. Super hard to make the decision to leave Texas and my MA institution. Seriously such great faculty and such a great and growing program. On to the next chapter, even if it's a little bittersweet :')

I turned down a fully funded offer from URI and took myself off the waitlist at SUNY Albany. I hope this helps someone on here.