Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Has anyone turned down larger funding offers for a better fit? It's gonna hurt so much to turn down the extra $4,000 per year plus 3 years of summer support (out of 6 summers) plus better health insurance at UMass but the fit, program, and approach to study at Buffalo is what I reallly, really, really want. So little time to decide :(:(:( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Has anyone turned down larger funding offers for a better fit? It's gonna hurt so much to turn down the extra $4,000 per year plus 3 years of summer support (out of 6 summers) plus better health insurance at UMass but the fit, program, and approach to study at Buffalo is what I reallly, really, really want. So little time to decide :(:(:( 

Yes! I really think money isn’t everything if you can’t bear to live or work in a place for 5+ years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Has anyone turned down larger funding offers for a better fit? It's gonna hurt so much to turn down the extra $4,000 per year plus 3 years of summer support (out of 6 summers) plus better health insurance at UMass but the fit, program, and approach to study at Buffalo is what I reallly, really, really want. So little time to decide :(:(:( 

Yes! I did this but I’m happy with my choice— don’t forget to consider cost of living, too. Buffalo is WAY cheaper than Amherst, from what I’ve heard. So that extra $4k might not make much of a difference. Plus, it’s way worth it to go somewhere you fit and are excited about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Has anyone turned down larger funding offers for a better fit? It's gonna hurt so much to turn down the extra $4,000 per year plus 3 years of summer support (out of 6 summers) plus better health insurance at UMass but the fit, program, and approach to study at Buffalo is what I reallly, really, really want. So little time to decide :(:(:( 

I did!  Turned down a school that was offering me $4,000 more that ended up offering me an additional $8,000 in fellowships for my first year.  Fit was way more important to me—remember, you’ll be at your program for the next 5+ yrs.  Good luck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Has anyone turned down larger funding offers for a better fit? It's gonna hurt so much to turn down the extra $4,000 per year plus 3 years of summer support (out of 6 summers) plus better health insurance at UMass but the fit, program, and approach to study at Buffalo is what I reallly, really, really want. So little time to decide :(:(:( 

I’m in a similar position with Johns Hopkins ($31,500/year, 6 semesters teaching) and UNC Chapel Hill ($20k/year, 10 semesters teaching): both have great faculty, although the latter has several specialists in science fiction (one of my main areas) while the former has zero, but the former provides far more support throughout the program, which means more time for research and writing. But Hopkins knows I do sf and they want me to do it there, so it seems like despite the lack of faculty for that one area, I could be fine. But Chapel Hill would give me access to Duke too. But, while Chapel Hill *technically* has a lower cost of living than Baltimore, the cost for a one-bedroom apartment in each is pretty much identical. So...tough decision...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@adornianjazz @The Wordsworthian @swarthmawr @arbie thank you all so much! I just confirmed my decision with Buffalo. I knew it in my heart but having such immediate responses in confirmation (plus one from my mom) helped so much.

@adornianjazz you sound exactly like me!! the constant back and forth literally made me sick. I spent the last week in bed with a fever/sinus infection! My visits really gave me the gut feeling, and I based it on the departmental approach to study as well as the fact that I just wanted to scream w/ excitement over their course catalog for Fall. UMass, not so much. Also keep in mind that 10 semester of teaching, despite the lower stipend, could be really good for your CV. I'm not concerned with a lighter teaching load (1:1 at Buffalo vs 2:1 at UMass) because I already have 4 years of teaching and an MFA.

AHHHH THANK YOU ALL I'M SO HAPPY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Also keep in mind that 10 semester of teaching, despite the lower stipend, could be really good for your CV.

I’m glad you came to a decision that feels right for you! I know what you mean about teaching, but I already have two years under my belt teaching both comp and a theory class, and in addition to my PhD, I’m working on my career as an author, so I’ve got a lot of factors to weigh. But thank you for your input, and again, I’m really happy for you that you’re headed where you want to go! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adornianjazz said:

I’m glad you came to a decision that feels right for you! I know what you mean about teaching, but I already have two years under my belt teaching both comp and a theory class, and in addition to my PhD, I’m working on my career as an author, so I’ve got a lot of factors to weigh. But thank you for your input, and again, I’m really happy for you that you’re headed where you want to go! 😊

I feel that! I'm also working on my career as a poet--which was another big factor for me, because Buffalo values creative output and funds it as well. Many current PhDs have told me to really look for a school that will value that and not see your creative or non-academic work as a detriment/something to devalue you as a student by. That was a big factor for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hgtvdeathdrive Congrats on making your choice and many, many congrats on Buffalo Poetics :) Also gonna re-affirm what many others have said here. CoL is one of the most important things to consider and one funding package isn't always equal to another, especially when you consider the local area. There are some schools I considered applying to that were high-flight and were in theory, fantastic, but the fit + the cost of living wasn't there. Buffalo, from what I've seen, has a very, very reasonable CoL. Their base stipend can take you very far.

I'm deeply invested in the study of poetry and Buffalo was one of my top choices this cycle. Some of the work that goes into the poetics program is astounding. In terms of both creative and scholarly output, it's one of the most appealing programs in the Northeast in my eyes. I've seen their class offerings for the upcoming year and I would love to be right in the middle of that discourse, especially under the auspices of Cristanne Miller, Stacy Hubbard, and Steve McCaffery. As far as poetics, it's cutting-edge.

The only reason why I turned Buffalo was because my eventual final choice fit my project/trajectory a bit better, was also a waitlist so nothing was guaranteed, and I don't have the resources to make the move to NY as a Californian (still pretty young so hugely dependent on family).

Either way, many congrats on your final choice! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ArcaMajora i'm out of reacts today but thank you so so much! this response really seals the deal. I'm also really invested in interdisciplinary study and didn't even *want* to do a regular English PhD when I started my process last year (as goofy as that sounds, since i ended up applying to so many of them)--and i think i got caught up in a lot of factors without considering the program itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Has anyone turned down larger funding offers for a better fit? It's gonna hurt so much to turn down the extra $4,000 per year plus 3 years of summer support (out of 6 summers) plus better health insurance at UMass but the fit, program, and approach to study at Buffalo is what I reallly, really, really want. So little time to decide :(:(:( 

Heyo! The offer I ended up taking is 4,000 less than my most lucrative offer, and that didn't include summer funding but had tons of money you could apply for, and the offer I took DOES include summer funding. So like, it works out to be way less, with significantly worse insurance. So, I did! But the program I chose is a much better fit and I obviously don't know how it will pan out but honestly feel so relieved to have made that choice. I think as long as the stipend is livable, the extra couple of thousand dollars doesn't really make that big of a difference because it's not like you're getting rich off the stipend no matter where you go. It's a few years, and especially if Buffalo will give you a professional advantage in your subfield in terms of fit etc, that might matter more to you in the long run. Good luck! PS, I live in the Pioneer Valley just down the road from UMass now, and have taken classes there, so feel free to reach out if you have any questions I might be able to help with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I declined UT Austin for Comp Lit today. It's an incredible program in an amazing place, but unfortunately the stipend just wasn't enough to cover cost of living + my MA loan repayments (what a great idea that seemed at the time). I'd either have to take out another loan or be dependent on my partner for a few years to make it work - neither of which I want to do. Genuinely heartbroken as it's SUCH a fab offer, but hoping it creates some waitlist movement for someone here! Good luck pals, we're nearly there xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am notifying University of Oregon that I am turning down their offer. It was the hardest decision I've ever made. They have a great program, and there I would have been able to be with the love of my life. Instead, I'll be headed east, to a program that is a better fit for me, but alone, maybe forever. I knew this decision season would be difficult, but I never expected it to culminate in such hollow achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adornianjazz said:

I am notifying University of Oregon that I am turning down their offer. It was the hardest decision I've ever made. They have a great program, and there I would have been able to be with the love of my life. Instead, I'll be headed east, to a program that is a better fit for me, but alone, maybe forever. I knew this decision season would be difficult, but I never expected it to culminate in such hollow achievement.

Ugh. Feel this 100%. Did you decide on UNC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tacocat211 said:

Ugh. Feel this 100%. Did you decide on UNC?

Not yet. I'm waiting on an updated offer from them, and I'm still waiting on a decision from UVA. With everything as it currently stands, I'm leaning towards Hopkins, but we will see what the next 24 hours holds. But no matter what happens, it all feels pretty empty now. I see that you accepted Chapel Hill's offer; congratulations! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was really hard but I officially turned down UConn. I'm pretty sure they'll be offering the spot to someone else on the waitlist, best of luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

declined vanderbilt. agonizing choice - such an amazing, warm, brilliant community. unfortunately I’m not sure if this will help anyone as I know a fairly big group has already accepted, but fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, adornianjazz said:

Not yet. I'm waiting on an updated offer from them, and I'm still waiting on a decision from UVA. With everything as it currently stands, I'm leaning towards Hopkins, but we will see what the next 24 hours holds. But no matter what happens, it all feels pretty empty now. I see that you accepted Chapel Hill's offer; congratulations! 

Ah yes, the chaos of the 15th is upon us. I wish you luck in wherever you decide. I’m sure anywhere would be lucky to have you!

 

And thank you! I’m super stoked. The program is such a great fit for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have now formally declined my offers at the University of Oregon and UNC Chapel Hill, and I have withdrawn myself from the waitlist at UVA. Tough decisions, but ultimately made without reservation.

Edited by adornianjazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.