The Graduate School Ponzi Scheme

15 hours ago, VirtualMessage said:

Nice to see the FAILING alternative academics of yesteryear. These English departments are running like a finely tuned machine. FAKE job numbers! Sad!

This guy's a trilby, spray tan, and a My Little Pony doll from full cringefest. Yikes. 

6 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

This guy's a trilby, spray tan, and a My Little Pony doll from full cringefest. Yikes. 

VM's not a guy. ^_^

I think that if the mods are reluctant to actually close this thread, we should at least use it for topic-appropriate gifs and other images. 

Incidentally, typing "absurd Ponzi scheme" into Google images brings up the following gem. I don't know why, and I don't want to know why...but it feels oddly appropriate here...

terry_2394566b.jpg

17 hours ago, VirtualMessage said:

How's the academic thing working out for everyone? I hear the job market has never been worse and recently read something on the *CHI* about the shame of our profession, but it's nice to see the eager sheep here hungry for the slaughter. I'd say servitude, but that'd mix up the metaphor. Good luck blessed community! It's your sacrifice that keeps the kids' parents writing checks--thank god! I'd say I'm bitter, but I just topped off my conference expense account with a cherry. For shame!

I'm doing okay. So are a lot of other people I went through grad school with. Shit, a guy I know was on the market since 2013, and he just got a great job. So maybe it really is you. 

21 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

VM's not a guy. ^_^

I think that if the mods are reluctant to actually close this thread, we should at least use it for topic-appropriate gifs and other images. 

Incidentally, typing "absurd Ponzi scheme" into Google images brings up the following gem. I don't know why, and I don't want to know why...but it feels oddly appropriate here...

terry_2394566b.jpg

Guy or no, I stand by my original statement. This photo also appears when you Google "Teddy bear Stockholm Syndrome." 

On 3/1/2017 at 8:28 PM, VirtualMessage said:

How's the academic thing working out for everyone? I hear the job market has never been worse and recently read something on the *CHI* about the shame of our profession, but it's nice to see the eager sheep here hungry for the slaughter. I'd say servitude, but that'd mix up the metaphor. Good luck blessed community! It's your sacrifice that keeps the kids' parents writing checks--thank god! I'd say I'm bitter, but I just topped off my conference expense account with a cherry. For shame!

My program is 5/6 on tenure track placements this year, with one still out interviewing.

Why don't you just go back to writing your OP/EDs Freddie. No one here has time for your shit.

I think it's time for some perspective. I mean, our country just inaugurated a reality show wackjob and Russia is "probably" involved in some way. People are terrified of getting deported. And someone, somewhere on an online discussion is upset about the ~academic job market.~

you_hear_that_by_tegie_toki.png

The failing Chronicle of Higher Education says only 17% of faculty are tenured and that they exploit adjuncts! http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Great-Shame-of-Our/239148

FAKE NEWS! There are SO MANY good jobs for all of you after the University grabs you by your earning potential!

Dude, get a fucking life. You're not offending anyone, you're just annoying. The only sad thing here is someone spending so much time to discourage and malign people's ambition. Seriously, if you need friendship or validation, I'm happy to offer that if you can stop acting like a tantrum-throwing child for a minute. This isn't a way to get attention. 

14 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

This isn't a way to get attention. 

Fourteen pages of posts and 28000 views says otherwise, unfortunately. <_<

Those who shout the loudest are always going to get the most attention.

But there's always at least one solution:

090a469b622ff69c1af8ef7ab7496fce.jpg

Edited by Wyatt's Terps