Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

Hi all! I completed an ETA in 2011-2012 and am now interested in applying for a Fulbright-Fogarty in the same country for 2016-2017 (defs qualifies as "unusual language" country, in case that's relevant). I'm having some trouble getting hold of the regional advisor; does anyone know if I am eligible to apply for the FF after an ETA in the same country?

Also has anyone had issues getting a hold of regional advisors ? I have tried emailing Jake and haven't had any luck with a response :(

Have you decided where you going to re apply?

Have you decided where you going to re apply?

No ugh still trying to figure out. All the advice I seem to get always seems polarizing.  I am torn, calling an NGO I had hoped to work with in Mongolia today to see if my ideas are plausible -_- 

No ugh still trying to figure out. All the advice I seem to get always seems polarizing.  I am torn, calling an NGO I had hoped to work with in Mongolia today to see if my ideas are plausible -_-

you know I would take into account all areas and potential security risk. An area with a high level of threat, could be off the table. Hate to see one apply and then see it all go to waste. 

you know I would take into account all areas and potential security risk. An area with a high level of threat, could be off the table. Hate to see one apply and then see it all go to waste. 

I totally agree ! Have you already submitted your application for this year ? is the time line different for scholars than research or ETA ? 

Hi everyone, this is my first time looking at applying for a Fulbright ETA. I noticed that some of you have already talked about submitting applications for the coming cycle. Is there any benefit to applying early? I live abroad and realistically won't be able to have my application complete until early October (applying at-large). Thanks!

Hi everyone, this is my first time looking at applying for a Fulbright ETA. I noticed that some of you have already talked about submitting applications for the coming cycle. Is there any benefit to applying early? I live abroad and realistically won't be able to have my application complete until early October (applying at-large). Thanks!

Other than peace of mind? No, because applications aren't evaluated by the national screening committee until after the deadline.

Other than peace of mind? No, because applications aren't evaluated by the national screening committee until after the deadline.

Perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm still deciding on which country to apply to as an ETA, but look forward to the application process with you all! 

I totally agree ! Have you already submitted your application for this year ? is the time line different for scholars than research or ETA ? 

Yah, my deadline is Aug 1... i am just about done, adding a bit, and re-submitting. We will see, I strategically, placed in the prior application my selection as an alternate. Also in the interview, I will discuss it. Really nothing to lose, the person who received it last year, claimed all this practical experience and in reality, it was an academic who did a bit of research. I'm younger then that, but my practical background supersedes any academic. That, coupled with my pursuit of a PH.D, I would of thought, bumped me in the driver seat. We will see this year.  

Hi everyone! This will be my first time applying for a Fulbright and I will be going for an ETA in Germany, as well as one through Austria if I have enough time in my last year of university (although this may be incorrect - I heard because you apply in Germany through Fulbright and Austria directly you can do both of them simultaneously??) :wacko: After looking through some previous forums it seems clear that there is a lot more to applying than I had initially imagined and I am looking forward to bouncing our ideas and proposals off of each other!

Hi everyone! I'm applying for the Fulbright ETA to Georgia, and I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions about supplementary projects. I want to get a feel for what would be more desirable from an applicant. My two ideas are 1) try to establish a sort of model UN at the university I'll be teaching in, or 2) help out on a youth basketball team or run an open gym for girls basketball. They're completely different ideas so I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me! Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm applying for the Fulbright ETA to Georgia, and I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions about supplementary projects. I want to get a feel for what would be more desirable from an applicant. My two ideas are 1) try to establish a sort of model UN at the university I'll be teaching in, or 2) help out on a youth basketball team or run an open gym for girls basketball. They're completely different ideas so I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me! Thanks!

Me:

I would stick with the academic side Model UN. I think it illuminates the Fulbright process more. Now the other idea is good too, but maybe suited for another grant. My opinion.

Edited by Bluefit

Hi everyone! This will be my first time applying for a Fulbright and I will be going for an ETA in Germany, as well as one through Austria if I have enough time in my last year of university (although this may be incorrect - I heard because you apply in Germany through Fulbright and Austria directly you can do both of them simultaneously??) :wacko: After looking through some previous forums it seems clear that there is a lot more to applying than I had initially imagined and I am looking forward to bouncing our ideas and proposals off of each other!

Do you mean applying for an ETA to Germany (Fulbright) and applying for USTA for Austria? Those you can do simultaneously because they are not both Fulbright programs. 

Do you mean applying for an ETA to Germany (Fulbright) and applying for USTA for Austria? Those you can do simultaneously because they are not both Fulbright programs. 

Yes I did - the term had just slipped my mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before on other Fulbright threads but I just wondered if anyone had any experience/advice with regards to the Fulbright research awards timeline? I am about to start my PhD in the fall and was hoping to spend some of my time in a lab within the US to complement my graduate studies but I can't seem to find any advice on when or how to approach my supervisor about it... I don't want to bring it up as soon as I enter the prgrogramme as they might think that I'm not committed to the school but on the otherhand I don't want to bring up the application suddenly (or after my first year) because we would then have to change my proposal/thesis plan to incorporate time spent researching within the other lab? I'm just not really sure if it's better to tell my supervisor immediately so that we can both plan for it or leave it for a year and then make some changes later on to accomodate the research trip and It's just a bit hard to get my head around planning as the whole application process takes about a year in advance. I'd be so grateful for your thoughts and would love to talk to anyone having gone through the process! Thank you guys so much.

Hello everyone! I'm applying for an ETA in Rwanda, my first time ever applying for a Fulbright! I'm very nervous and am hoping for the best. My university doesn't focus much on Fulbright (I seeked it out myself) and I feel somewhat unprepared - I've printed off a lot of guides I found online about the application process to guide myself. 

I'm finding it difficult to only write one page for my essays! I want to say so much more! 

My question, for now(!), is about involvement in the host country. I visited Rwanda for 3 weeks this past January and met, on my own accord, a director who runs a centre for homeless children - as well as pays for their education. We're very close now and I advise him often, as well as raising money for the children's education.. over $2,000 so far :D! Do you think this is something I should mention? At first I thought it would be great to show current involvement in the host country, but I don't want the panel to think I will be distracted by my ETA duties. It can be mentioned as my community involvement, but I want them to know I am just as passionate about my ETA :). What do you think?

Hey everyone, I'm so happy to see that theGradCafe is still an active source for applicants. I'm applying for a different fellowship this year, but I'll be checking back here every once in a while to answer questions if I can.

I was in your shoes last year, and I hope you the best. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, both the application process and (if the stars align) the award letter.

My one advice now is to find out who is on the Fulbright board in your host country and tailor your essay to their interests and mission. Have them shaking their head fervently in agreement while reading your statement of purpose. That's the one advice I would give myself if I could go back in time.

Hey everyone, I'm so happy to see that theGradCafe is still an active source for applicants. I'm applying for a different fellowship this year, but I'll be checking back here every once in a while to answer questions if I can.

I was in your shoes last year, and I hope you the best. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, both the application process and (if the stars align) the award letter.

My one advice now is to find out who is on the Fulbright board in your host country and tailor your essay to their interests and mission. Have them shaking their head fervently in agreement while reading your statement of purpose. That's the one advice I would give myself if I could go back in time.

Thanks for the advice! I'm applying this year for an ETA in Laos, and I'm hoping it works out. 

Also, I tried accessing last year's spreadsheet from your signature, and it seems like it got deleted? Any idea why that is?

Thanks for the advice! I'm applying this year for an ETA in Laos, and I'm hoping it works out. 

Also, I tried accessing last year's spreadsheet from your signature, and it seems like it got deleted? Any idea why that is?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit?pli=1#gid=0 

Here is the link to our spreadsheet from last year's applications. I hope this helps!