LadyMactans

Lesbian life in various places (recommendations? warnings?)

Barring movement on my waitlist status, I’ll be reapplying next year to more PhDs. As I’m interested in comics studies, people keep telling me to apply to UF and FSU. Are Tallahassee and Gainesville queer friendly? Trans friendly? Will my NB partner face a lot of crap at local school districts?

On 3/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, brighteyedathena said:

Anyone know anything about Tallahassee or Boulder? 

I don't know anything about Tallahassee but Boulder is an incredibly liberal town. And absolutely beautiful. It's kind of pricey to live in Boulder but if they offered my major that would've easily been my number one choice. 

On 3/28/2018 at 1:46 PM, brighteyedathena said:

Anyone know anything about Tallahassee or Boulder? 

Boulder is known for being very gay friendly in general, and there are a ton of lesbians and queer women/queer folks (I’m a queer woman and spent 4 years there). There’s not really much to *do* in Boulder, though...no gay clubs or bars, no openly queer spaces (aside from a Pride House organization). Denver is a short bus ride away and has much more to do and a much stronger queer community.

As far as Storrs, I went to UConn undergrad and I have to agree with the other poster. UConn in particular is huge on the diversity stuff, so you'll be fine campus-wise, and Connecticut is very blue, so there's widespread LGBT acceptance in the overall area as well. The real problem I think you'll face – certainly one that I faced – is that it's just so damn rural. You're not going to find a gay bar (or very many bars at all) – closest would be Boston or Providence, which are not far, but probably not a drive you'll want to be making every weekend just to find something to do. If you have an existing partner you're fine, but if you're trying to date as a lesbian, the pool is going to be very small.

On 22/1/2015 at 5:23 PM, liz0723 said:

Can anyone speak to the attitude towards LGBT persons in Urbana Champaign?

Three years later...I'm wondering the same thing. I know Chicago is two hours away or so in case not so good.