Lesbian life in various places (recommendations? warnings?)

LadyMactans

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Outer Heaven said:

Are there any places where I should avoid (Gay man with a trans masculine husband)? I have applied to schools in Boston, Champaign-Urbana, West Lafayette, Binghamtom, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. 

Pittsburgh is pretty LGBTQ+ friendly city. However I definitely get a strong cis, white gay male vibe from the traditional gayborhood (Shadyside), but have not heard of any specific negative experiences from transmasc folks I know.  Let me know if you have any questions about particular areas/locations and I can try my best to give you my perspective as a queer (white, cis, femme) woman. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi you guys, wondering if anyone had any opinions about Tulsa, OK or Indianapolis, IN? I was accepted both of these places but I’m not willing to move anywhere uncomfortable. 

• 9 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 11:57 PM, yee123 said:

Hi you guys, wondering if anyone had any opinions about Tulsa, OK or Indianapolis, IN? I was accepted both of these places but I’m not willing to move anywhere uncomfortable. 

I grew up in Indianapolis and it is an okay place to live. The state is incredibly conservative, but Indianapolis is typically democrat-led. As a queer woman, I'd feel comfortable living in Indy and looking visibly queer. There are several gay bars if that's of interest to you, but they tend to cater more towards gay men. There's also a decent drag scene. If you are planning to live in Indy I'd recommend looking into places near Fountain Square or Broad Ripple, which are both very queer-friendly neighborhoods. 

• 1 year later...

Queer graduate student experiences in North America.

- Are there legal/institutional protections against queer, queer BIPOC discrimination?

- Is the city/town generally conservative?

- How easy is it for a queer person to find friends, a job, safe spaces, build community? What are some obstacles one might encounter?

- If you're Queer BIPOC, what has your experience been?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...