Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

2 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

I sent an email because there was an issue with my application. They actually just emailed emailed me my letter (and it came in the mail on the same day too coincidentally). If you send a nice email, I'm sure they'll oblige. 

Thank you so much! Just emailed them. 

3 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Come on last couple of programs! Accept / reject me already--I want to feel done with this.

Same here. I pretty much have made my decision and I'm already excited to start but I feel like I need to wait for my last two programs before committing.

1 hour ago, chamsee22 said:

Same here. I pretty much have made my decision and I'm already excited to start but I feel like I need to wait for my last two programs before committing.

Yeah, I feel this way also--like, there is always some small chance that X school will give me a better offer in a better location. 

19 hours ago, JeremyCrickets said:

Second year applicants: How did you go about asking your professors/whoever to write letters for you again? Were you able to use the same one from the previous year through Interfolio? 

I had one re:used rec (from pre applying to my current masters). Just ask. Also, maybe have them re-upload them to interfolio? (If they wrote them fast they might take another look... ). Also, some of the programs only accept rec letters via their online systems, so they're likely going to have to upload a few themselves. If you feel shame about not getting in: don't. These programs are harder to get into than Harvard Law. Give it another shot. Work on your application. Apply to more schools. It will work out.

Also, what's up with NYU? Why haven't I been rejected yet (or heard anything yet)? Bah. Also, hurry up Columbia.  

28 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Ah, there we go, I made the NYU waitlist. Not too hopeful about my chances of getting funding.

Congrats! NYU!!

Forgive my ignorance as I don't really know how waitlists work, but if someone turns down a funded offer does the program then take that same offer and give it to a waitlister? I know NYU has only a handful of those fellowships/work options but you never know, right?

Edited by chamsee22

1 hour ago, chamsee22 said:

Congrats! NYU!!

Forgive my ignorance as I don't really know how waitlists work, but if someone turns down a funded offer does the program then take that same offer and give it to a waitlister? I know NYU has only a handful of those fellowships/work options but you never know, right?

They don't order the waitlist. However, I sent an email and they said I probably should take one of my other offers because getting full funding was "highly unlikely." Makes sense given that they only have a few fully funded spots--in fact, some of the teaching positions seem to be half tuition and a small stipend. Which isn't great considering how expensive tuition is. I'm just going to take my name off the list.

2 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

They don't order the waitlist. However, I sent an email and they said I probably should take one of my other offers because getting full funding was "highly unlikely." Makes sense given that they only have a few fully funded spots--in fact, some of the teaching positions seem to be half tuition and a small stipend. Which isn't great considering how expensive tuition is. I'm just going to take my name off the list.

Yeah, that's probably for the best. Makes you curious about what kind of applicant gets one of those precious few fully funded offers, though.

42 minutes ago, chamsee22 said:

Yeah, that's probably for the best. Makes you curious about what kind of applicant gets one of those precious few fully funded offers, though.

Yeah, they must not give out very many of those as none of them are posted on the results page. What's worse: they don't have any teaching assistantships. They only pay 5k per class (like you're an adjunct) and don't cover tuition. Seems like the program is mostly geared toward making a profit at the expense of students. 

A program I applied to but haven't heard back from yet just sent me an email confirming the date and time of my Fall 2016 registration appointment. As in when I can start registering for classes.

Should I take this as a good sign? The program hasn't notified anyone yet, so I'm going to go ahead and believe that everyone got the same email. Still crossing my fingers though.

4 hours ago, JeremyCrickets said:

A program I applied to but haven't heard back from yet just sent me an email confirming the date and time of my Fall 2016 registration appointment. As in when I can start registering for classes.

Should I take this as a good sign? The program hasn't notified anyone yet, so I'm going to go ahead and believe that everyone got the same email. Still crossing my fingers though.

Very much could be a positive sign. Fingers crossed for you!

1 hour ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Very much could be a positive sign. Fingers crossed for you!

Should I... do something?

I'm sure this would've been brought up by now if everyone got the email. I guess it's still possible that they sent it out as a mistake? I've heard some horror stories about people getting promising emails (or even accidental acceptances) one day and then a rejection notice the next. 

Thank you for crossing your fingers for me though!!!!

2 hours ago, JeremyCrickets said:

Should I... do something?

I'm sure this would've been brought up by now if everyone got the email. I guess it's still possible that they sent it out as a mistake? I've heard some horror stories about people getting promising emails (or even accidental acceptances) one day and then a rejection notice the next. 

Thank you for crossing your fingers for me though!!!!

There's no reason why you couldn't send a nice email asking your status (and mention the other email).

3 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Me either! At least they have new dairy free varieties to try (that I bet are good since I think they're made with almond milk or something tasty like that)!

Eh. It's not the end of the world, I guess. The family I did have in TX just relocated bc of a job transfer so the news isn't as devastating as it would've been otherwise.

Are you vegan?!