Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

On March 29, 2016 at 6:22 AM, FalloutCoversEverything said:

There will always be bad characters. Just brush them off. Dirt on your shoulders.

Was this in the email to open all of those letters? I mean, I don't care, but I couldn't even find the info they mentioned to me on the phone. I might have skimmed a bit tho. Lol. There was so much info and I was mostly disinterested.

Well well...visited a campus, attended a workshop, and I'm in love. Maybe they were just nice because I was a prospective. Hehe. But as far as I could see, everything went awesomely. Met current students, who were all wonderful, and the authors were fantastic. I have found my home for the next whatever years (actually like the city so much that I can see myself staying post MFA; we shall see). 

As for Columbia, it's the "update" link on your portal. There are a bunch of letters, which I too skipped. I have officially declined. 

On another, somewhat irrelevant, front: a certain Program's director decided to send me the "so and so were impressed by your stuff" e-mail after I declined. Maybe he saw my decision come through and remembered he was supposed to tell me those things long ago but forgot, so he still wanted to be able to say he "tried"? lol. That's one of the things that I've found striking throughout this process: the different types of organization, style of communication, etc...Not all the schools, despite the fancy websites and the likes, are on top of their games. Have another example of a big Program where the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing.

On 3/29/2016 at 9:22 AM, FalloutCoversEverything said:

17 hours ago, holycat said:

Well well...visited a campus, attended a workshop, and I'm in love. Maybe they were just nice because I was a prospective. Hehe. But as far as I could see, everything went awesomely. Met current students, who were all wonderful, and the authors were fantastic. I have found my home for the next whatever years (actually like the city so much that I can see myself staying post MFA; we shall see). 

As for Columbia, it's the "update" link on your portal. There are a bunch of letters, which I too skipped. I have officially declined. 

On another, somewhat irrelevant, front: a certain Program's director decided to send me the "so and so were impressed by your stuff" e-mail after I declined. Maybe he saw my decision come through and remembered he was supposed to tell me those things long ago but forgot, so he still wanted to be able to say he "tried"? lol. That's one of the things that I've found striking throughout this process: the different types of organization, style of communication, etc...Not all the schools, despite the fancy websites and the likes, are on top of their games. Have another example of a big Program where the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing.

Glad your visit went well! Exciting times!

I'm so looking forward to starting next year. Big things on the horizon!

Columbia = meh.

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

10 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Glad your visit went well! Exciting times!

I'm so looking forward to starting next year. Big things on the horizon!

Columbia = meh.

Yes, indeed. Congrats and good luck to you and everyone else here! 

I'm losing my mind--I just want to make my decision already!

I got accepted to one school. They need to tell me if I got an assistantship or not.

I'm stuck on the waitlist for another school.

And the last remaining school...oh man. I went on the portal a month or so ago to check my app status and was horrified to find out one of my professors didn't submit a letter of recommendation. I immediately emailed the program asking if my application was even being reviewed. They said it's fine and my app is still under review. I did find it unusual that they would reveal that information (that it was under review), rather than the "applicants will be notified by X time" that I'm normally used to seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Whelp. Just turned down Alaska, so everyone sticking around for 2017 will have to put up with another year of me asking inane questions and bemoaning my existential dread.

To the future!

• 1 month later...