kurtango

Fall 2016 MFA

Recommended Posts

How is waiting going, everyone? I've turned into a machine that refreshes webpages and checks phone every few minutes. Can't wait for the normalcy the end of March should hopefully bring! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poetry applicant here. So far accepted into Temple and rejected by Wash U. I'm going to die if I don't hear from U of Arizona like, TODAY! I work at a tax office and all I do is refresh my email all day.

Edited by lunardanse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lunardanse said:

Poetry applicant here. So far accepted into Temple and rejected by Wash U. I'm going to die if I don't hear from U of Arizona like, TODAY! I work at a tax office and all I do is refresh my email all day.

Congrats on Temple! I've been going crazy waiting to hear from ASU or Syracuse, because apparently both of them have started sending out acceptances. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 1, 2016 at 2:52 AM, manoshij said:

Why does this thread seem to have gone dead? I have applied to the following programs: Cornell, Virginia Tech, Virginia, OSU, Boston and Mississippi. 

Mississippi Stage 1 results were due January end. Anybody has news there? 

How are you people doing with anxiety? 

Just got out of a meeting with one of the readers at Mississippi (i'm an undergrad here), and no first round decisions have been made yet. 208 applicants for 4 spots though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jeavey said:

Just got out of a meeting with one of the readers at Mississippi (i'm an undergrad here), and no first round decisions have been made yet. 208 applicants for 4 spots though

Bless you for sharing this. I was really heavy-hearted when the 31st of Jan passed without hearing anything. You rock!

Only 4 spots tho... oy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jeavey said:

Just got out of a meeting with one of the readers at Mississippi (i'm an undergrad here), and no first round decisions have been made yet. 208 applicants for 4 spots though

In terms of anxiety, I've basically been having one longgg panic attack for two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

That sounds a lot like me, holycat! This wait is killer.

I never thought I'd ever dislike weekends until now! If I don't hear anything tomorrow, there won't even be anything to refresh over the long weekend. Haha. I've heard from schools the last two Fridays, so I'm hoping there's going to be at least one more tomorrow even if almost all my remaining schools usually notify late Feb/early March. Good luck to us all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Looks like Wisconsin sent out a wave of acceptances today! Did anyone here get any good news?! I seem to remember a few of you guys saying it was on your list!

I've now been waitlisted by both Minnesota and Wisconsin. MN gave me a my position on the waitlist, WI didn't. I'm trying to feel optimistic, but honestly, all the schools I applied to are equally competitive, so we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BananaStand said:

I've now been waitlisted by both Minnesota and Wisconsin. MN gave me a my position on the waitlist, WI didn't. I'm trying to feel optimistic, but honestly, all the schools I applied to are equally competitive, so we'll see.

Congrats on getting onto the waitlists! I don't know much about Minnesota, but I know Wisconsin is a great (and competitive) program! I'm excited to apply there next year if I don't get any good offers this round.

Got my first rejection--Michener--and I handled it about as well as I thought I would. I went from "I expected this," to utter devastation to "I only really wanted to go to Austin to stalk internet celebrities anyway" pretty quick. Still, it stings--it was my first choice even if it was more of a dream than anything. I feel bad. Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up with a little bit more perspective. 

Also, I'm rapidly learning one of my recommenders can't be trusted with ANYTHING. There was the missing letter I mentioned earlier this thread. He randomly submitted a letter about two weeks ago that was due ages ago (which makes me wonder if the program contacted him, but I shouldn't torture myself like that). And then today he emails me that he doesn't have any of the FERPA release forms that I gave him in November. Ugh. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that @GlowStick. Keep your head up!

As for Minnesota, I know there are reservations to be had about the P & W rankings, but the Program is ranked 10th on the last one. And they're very selective. I believe they take about a total of 12 (for poetry + fiction + CNF ) every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the waitlists and good news everyone. 

I still haven't heard back from anyone, and right now I'm feeling antsy and overall pessimistic. Times like these make me want to stress eat candy, but then I remember I spent all my money on university applications, so I can't afford to get cavities right now. Shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 8, 2016 at 5:05 AM, BananaStand said:

Alright, people who have posted acceptances to Iowa for fiction: show yourselves! I can't figure out if they're legit, or some kind of cruel joke. 

Any update on this? Anyone over on Draft have any information to suggest if these calls were legit or trolls? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got official word that University of Arizona Tucson has not made decisions on poetry yet--if that matters to anyone.

 

And yeah, I've been seeing some Iowa's and UMASS Amherst's popping up and it's making me insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Historically, many of the schools I've applied to will notify acceptances within the next two weeks. Would be nice to go into a cryogenic slumber until then. It's cold enough where I am that 10 minutes outside would be sufficient time to lose all feeling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Radesky said:

Historically, many of the schools I've applied to will notify acceptances within the next two weeks. Would be nice to go into a cryogenic slumber until then. It's cold enough where I am that 10 minutes outside would be sufficient time to lose all feeling. 

This made me laugh and cry simultaneously

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultralight said:

Any update on this? Anyone over on Draft have any information to suggest if these calls were legit or trolls? 

I know that someone on Draft who knew the program was "99% certain" that the earliest Iowa notification was not true. But, as far as I saw, it was only the earliest claim that raised any suspicion. The rest have just been called "early." Last I checked, everyone seemed to be expecting that quite a few more will come out in quicker succession in the next few weeks. Or to quote directly, "They're the early ones. It'll come in a flood when they really get going." 

But I take most of what I hear on the Draft with a grain of salt, so I don't know how much that really helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iowa also tends to scatter their notifications from what I've seen. But that first notification was most likely a troll. (Side: Who gets entertainment from freaking out MFA applicants? We freak ourselves out enough.) 

Does anyone know if all the Wisconsin notifications go out at the same time? I'm pretty sure not getting a notification last night means I was rejected since waitlists went out too. (Btw. Congrats, Bananastand. :) ) 

Edited by LexieB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GlowStick said:

I know that someone on Draft who knew the program was "99% certain" that the earliest Iowa notification was not true. But, as far as I saw, it was only the earliest claim that raised any suspicion. The rest have just been called "early." Last I checked, everyone seemed to be expecting that quite a few more will come out in quicker succession in the next few weeks. Or to quote directly, "They're the early ones. It'll come in a flood when they really get going." 

But I take most of what I hear on the Draft with a grain of salt, so I don't know how much that really helps. 

Thanks for the information. Funny how we all want as much information as possible and yet we still don't believe anything until we hear yes or no directly. I appreciate the update though!

How's everyone doing in terms of dealing with stress?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now