Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

6 minutes ago, Radesky said:

Any word on Vanderbilt? Seems like a couple of acceptances went out. Do they notify in waves as well?

I'd bet that they've notified all the acceptances. The program is pretty small and I already saw one acceptance on the draft and two here. I'm guessing they maintain a waitlist, but who knows if it's informal or not.

9 minutes ago, BananaStand said:

I'd bet that they've notified all the acceptances. The program is pretty small and I already saw one acceptance on the draft and two here. I'm guessing they maintain a waitlist, but who knows if it's informal or not.

;_; then I guess it's goodbye vandy~~

sayantika, I wish you good luck this season!

edit: wanted to add: there's always money in the banana stand!!

Edited by chamsee22

1 hour ago, BananaStand said:

Bummmmerrrrrr

1 hour ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Re: Vanderbilt. It looks like waitlist acceptances went out 10 days after the initial acceptances last year. So there is still hope!

I'm curious if they were poetry or prose acceptances, I can't find anything on here re: vandy

5 minutes ago, DylanMorsion said:
12 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

waitlist acceptances went out 10 days after the initial acceptances last year. So there is still hope!

I'm curious if they were poetry or prose acceptances, I can't find anything on here re: vandy

One is marked fiction anyway--maybe there will be more acceptances coming in the next day or so in poetry. Seems very possible. There's still waitlist spots coming too.

22 minutes ago, BananaStand said:

Are you checking the results forum on this site? I've seen both OSU and VT acceptances, as well as OSU rejections.

Just did, thanks a lot. But I couldn't find anything from OSU or VT there. And where did you hear about Cornell? 

43 minutes ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Cornell acceptances still haven't gone out this year.

They did go out last year by around this time. 

Likely, they'll be going out soon (over the next week).

From the draft:

Cornell's fiction faculty is still reviewing applications. They're scheduled to meet next Saturday to decide admissions and wait lists, etc

Does anyone know if Michigan (Helen Zell Writers Program) emails results? My Prospective Student Center page just has general info (year, program, application #, etc) on the "Status" page (with no "pending" status or anything like that showing).

Oh, I do wish they'd all just send the rejections if that's what the decisions are going to be. Already received Minnesota's. Nothing from Michigan, Wisconsin, or Iowa. Guessing Wisconsin is a no since acceptances and wait lists already posted.

Too poor to apply to more programs this year. Getting rejected is disappointing even when tempered with the knowledge that it's a long shot. I mean, we WANT to get it, or we wouldn't be applying in the first place (because who'd put themselves through this nightmare if they didn't really want to get in), so OF COURSE it's going to suck when we're rejected.

And biggest congrats to those who were accepted and wait listed!!! Omg, I can only imagine :)

Edited by Kiri-same
clarification, language

So many acceptances in southern states today--LSU, Alabama, Kentucky PhD. Some awesome programs! 

I actually was thinking of applying to LSU / Alabama, but I decided they weren't geographically feasible for me. Awesome faculty / funding at both though. 

Congrats to everyone who got in!!!

@Kiri-same It seems like Michigan does email results, usually around the 20th of Feb. (although the date could change).

This may be the first day I wish I was working versus having the holiday off. At least with work I'm too busy to be checking the status of everything. I'm still swimming in the land of hearing nothing. Applied to 8 schools, all which have not notified. Starting to look forward to a denial at least :) 

I'm curious about those who have applied to non-funded or partially funded programs. I understand the fully-funded programs are harder to get into (almost impossible) but would people really spend masses amount of money on an advanced art degree? Are people just independently wealthy or is it worth it to some in order to have the graduate school experience? Is it a younger mentality? I've been out of school for 5 years so the idea of debt and a somewhat financially stable future may just be more of a reality for me. Or do some truly see it as a valid choice? Just curious here ... and trying to distract myself from all the uncertainty. :) Thoughts, anyone?  

2 hours ago, Ultralight said:

This may be the first day I wish I was working versus having the holiday off. At least with work I'm too busy to be checking the status of everything. I'm still swimming in the land of hearing nothing. Applied to 8 schools, all which have not notified. Starting to look forward to a denial at least :) 

I'm curious about those who have applied to non-funded or partially funded programs. I understand the fully-funded programs are harder to get into (almost impossible) but would people really spend masses amount of money on an advanced art degree? Are people just independently wealthy or is it worth it to some in order to have the graduate school experience? Is it a younger mentality? I've been out of school for 5 years so the idea of debt and a somewhat financially stable future may just be more of a reality for me. Or do some truly see it as a valid choice? Just curious here ... and trying to distract myself from all the uncertainty. :) Thoughts, anyone?  

I applied to some. There are a lot of programs that aren't fully funded that have great funding opportunities. Columbia (which I applied to because of location) has 10 fully funded TA positions and a couple of fellowships. In terms of selectivity percentages, one has just as good of a chance of getting one of those as one does of getting into many of the fully funded programs. I won't go if I don't get funding, but for me it was worth applying. And there are lots of programs that are 75% funded, etc. that are still worth applying to if one likes the faculty. I totally agree that one shouldn't go unless funded (it's not financially reasonable to me either), but I'm not going to let it stop my from applying to places if they do have funding.

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything