Fall 2016 MFA

kurtango

First, *hugs* to all who got denied. Don't let it get you down. Read the person who posted above saying he/she got rejected by 12 schools (!!!) last year but got accepted by UMass Amherst this year! And congrats to all who got acceptances!

3 hours ago, Ultralight said:

Starting to look forward to a denial at least :) 

Right?! And I admit I'm acting spoiled right now; I've heard from 2 of the 11 schools I've applied to. I so badly want to accept the offer from one of them, but my mentors say to wait, so I'm doing that out of respect for them and also because I know it's not prudent to make a decision so early before I hear from everyone. It's making me soo restless! 

3 hours ago, Ultralight said:

I'm curious about those who have applied to non-funded or partially funded programs. I understand the fully-funded programs are harder to get into (almost impossible) but would people really spend masses amount of money on an advanced art degree? 

I've been out of school for a couple of years too (older than the typical student, though) and I know student debt is an utter bytch. I am definitely not looking forward to taking out more loans. I've applied to some schools with partial funding or are vague about what they offer, and I'm asking myself why I even bothered waste application fees. @FalloutCoversEverything I've applied to Columbia too. Wondering why now. lol. It would be a great Program to go to (despite all the flack often directed at it), but do you think, even with the TA-ship, that the money would be enough for NYC? And with their higher than most course load + TA-ing, another part time job would be unthinkable, IMO. How do people make that work? Loans?

29 minutes ago, holycat said:

I've applied to Columbia too. Wondering why now. lol. It would be a great Program to go to (despite all the flack often directed at it), but do you think, even with the TA-ship, that the money would be enough for NYC? And with their higher than most course load + TA-ing, another part time job would be unthinkable, IMO. How do people make that work? Loans?

Well, Columbia's teaching assistantships pay 24k a year according to the website (the info might be dated also). I'm sure there are additional summer teaching positions to be had teaching high school students, etc. It's not great for NYC, but with some form of summer funding/work it is doable. I don't think it's too much work. Almost all of the funded MFA programs require you to teach, and most of them require you to take 2-3 classes a semester. 

Edited by FalloutCoversEverything

3 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

I applied to some. There are a lot of programs that aren't fully funded that have great funding opportunities. Columbia (which I applied to because of location) has 10 fully funded TA positions and a couple of fellowships. In terms of selectivity percentages, one has just as good of a chance of getting one of those as one does of getting into many of the fully funded programs. I won't go if I don't get funding, but for me it was worth applying. And there are lots of programs that are 75% funded, etc. that are still worth applying to if one likes the faculty. I totally agree that one shouldn't go unless funded (it's not financially reasonable to me either), but I'm not going to let it stop my from applying to places if they do have funding.

Hey great info! I don't think I quite realized that some schools give funding to some applicants even if the program is not fully funded for all. Good to know for future years if the need arises. 

2 hours ago, holycat said:

I've applied to Columbia too. Wondering why now. lol. It would be a great Program to go to (despite all the flack often directed at it), but do you think, even with the TA-ship, that the money would be enough for NYC? And with their higher than most course load + TA-ing, another part time job would be unthinkable, IMO. How do people make that work? Loans?

I've lived in NYC and cost of living is extremely high. But there are ways to make it work if the reward (living in NYC) is high enough for the individual :) Also, think of it this way - you are paying to be surrounded by our community- a world of writers (what a gift!) and while not necessarily a requirement for writing success, definitely still a perk. I imagine this is a huge contributing factor for many writers when deciding to educate themselves in NYC. Also, with 2K a month - it would be doable. Roommates, of course, but doable. 

@Ultralight For me, trying to get something in NYC has to do with my partner wanting to do a training program there. I didn't apply exclusively in the NYC area, but I had to give it a try. I also was semi-limited in terms of geography to places in the eastcoast to central midwest region. 

Hopefully neither of us have to re-apply! =)

3 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

Well, Columbia's teaching assistantships pay 24k a year according to the website (the info might be dated also). I'm sure there are additional summer teaching positions to be had teaching high school students, etc. It's not great for NYC, but with some form of summer funding/work it is doable. I don't think it's too much work. Almost all of the funded MFA programs require you to teach, and most of them require you to take 2-3 classes a semester. 

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing with you. And it's pointless to argue over this. :) If you don't think their coursework requirement is too heavy for the time frame, more power to you! I actually like that they require more courses -- the more opportunities I have to learn, the better! But 60 credit hours in two years (third year is very optional) + teaching for a writing Program that's supposed to result in a substantial work of writing feels heavy to me. It's one thing if the funding was good enough for the city and that third year funding was guaranteed. Or if, like some schools, they didn't require you to teach the first year or had some non-teaching fellowships for the first year. BY THE WAY, let's not forget that 24K is before taxes. I really want to know if any former "fully-funded" Columbia MFA students have gone through the program without taking out loans and substantial amounts at that.

Anyway, I suppose, as @Ultralightnoted, people are paying for more than the degree. It's for NYC. And also for Columbia, I guess. And I admit it would be awesome to get the full NYC experience, especially as a writer. I'll wait and see if I get in and, if I do, what kind of funding I'll get. If, after working my numbers, I find that I'd still need to spend so much of money I don't have to go there, I would rather take a chance on my writing/stories and go elsewhere than swim in debt in the hopes of benefitting from being in the "publishing center of America." :) Good luck, by the way, @FalloutCoversEverything! 

17 minutes ago, holycat said:

Anyway, I suppose, as @Ultralightnoted, people are paying for more than the degree. It's for NYC. And also for Columbia, I guess. And I admit it would be awesome to get the full NYC experience, especially as a writer. I'll wait and see if I get in and, if I do, what kind of funding I'll get. If, after working my numbers, I find that I'd still need to spend so much of money I don't have to go there, I would rather take a chance on my writing/stories and go elsewhere than swim in debt in the hopes of benefitting from being in the "publishing center of America." :) Good luck, by the way, @FalloutCoversEverything! 

For what it's worth, I was accepted to Columbia last year and was really excited when I found out (Ben Marcus making the call was an added bonus). Then the paperwork came. Not only did I not get any funding at all, it was going to cost something like $55k to attend. I just couldn't hack it, so I decided to apply exclusively to fully funded programs this year. I have another Masters degree that I'm still paying off, and NYC was just going to be too expensive without help.

I don't think my experience with that particular program was at all unique. I've heard they have to maintain a huge waitlist because of how many people bow out once they discover the program's cost.

@holycat You're going to get back your taxes on 24k once you deduct rent, bills, education expenses, and so on. If you're careful filling out taxes given how high the living expenses are in NYC, it is _highly unlikely_ you'll have to pay taxes on that amount. Also, the credit load isn't as substantial as it appears to be given that the workshops are 6 credits and the thesis course are 9. And creative writing courses can be used to generate material. Actually, if you play it right, extra classes may be a great way to put together a thesis. But yeah, if I don't get funding I won't be attending. I do think 24k is livable with some sort of summer employment.

@BananaStand Yeah, I personally will consider any acceptance w/o funding a rejection.

But there are some fully funded opportunities, there are just only a handful of them. I think it is worth noting that there is just a high of chance of getting one of those as there is of getting into many other programs. That said, part of me would consider going somewhere else just based on the type of students that might be in the classes given the cost/lack of selectivity. Another part of me is willing to suck it up to connect with the awesome faculty / the location.

And 55K is just tuition, right? According to their own estimates of coast of attendance for MFA:

MFA Tuition: $55,356

Writing Program Reading Fee: $200

University Fees: 2,151

Living expenses (Room & Board): $18,765*

Books and supplies: $2,670

Transportation: $1,584

Personal Expenses: $4,230**

Total: 84,956/year

With Tuition Remission: $29,600

* Too low.

* Maybe a little too high unless, say, one has special expenses, like non-student loan payments. 

I'm no good at math, so feel free to correct me. :) Good luck, by the way, @BananaStand!

Edited by holycat

@holycat Those fees are substantial. If I do get in I'll want to know if the TA stipend includes fee remission as well (they often do... but it is absolutely worth looking into).

I do think it is worth noting that many schools are going to be 4-5k short of what is really livable in any given area. There are some exceptions to this like Cornell, Michigan, and the Michener Center. LSU maybe. But yeah, most places you're going to get from 10-15k and have to teach. Some places 10-15k is "more" livable, but it is still going to tight. 

1 minute ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

@holycat Those fees are substantial. I'd want to know if the TA stipend includes fee remission as well (they often do... but it is absolutely worth looking into).

I do think it is worth noting that many schools are going to be 4-5k short of what is really livable in any given area. There are some exceptions to this like Cornell, Michigan, and the Michener Center. LSU maybe. But yeah, most places you're going to get from 10-15k and have to teach. Some places 10-15k goes farther, but it is still going to tight in terms of living expenses. 

I believe the TA-ship does include full tuition remission, which is a huge deal.

And yes, not all "fully-funded" programs are truly sufficient to live on. But many are even though it might be tight. For example, UC Irvine, based in normally expensive SoCal, gives 17,500 + full tuition for the 9 months. It's not sexy, but you can make it work. And if you get a summer opportunity, you're set. But guess what: they also have awesome graduate housing options, like $820 for a studio! If you can deal with roommates, you pay way less! That, in a beautiful SoCal city also considered to be one of the safest in the states last I checked. 

The likes of University of MN also, with TAships + departmental fellowships + summer opportunities offer enough to live on. If you get into U of Oregon, Eugene and live in a graduate housing, you might come out rich. :)

I do get what you mean, though...some amount of loan might be unavoidable in most cases, especially if you have some debts to pay, etc (ironically)...But it's about how much loan. One might need a lot of it in NYC. 

It's unfortunate that we have to worry about $$ so much. I suppose if we were going to medical school or getting some technology degree, debt wouldn't be so scary. But the decision to pursue writing is such a huge risk to begin with. 

Let's hope for the best in any case! 

8 hours ago, holycat said:

I believe the TA-ship does include full tuition remission, which is a huge deal.

And yes, not all "fully-funded" programs are truly sufficient to live on. But many are even though it might be tight. For example, UC Irvine, based in normally expensive SoCal, gives 17,500 + full tuition for the 9 months. It's not sexy, but you can make it work. And if you get a summer opportunity, you're set. But guess what: they also have awesome graduate housing options, like $820 for a studio! If you can deal with roommates, you pay way less! That, in a beautiful SoCal city also considered to be one of the safest in the states last I checked. 

The likes of University of MN also, with TAships + departmental fellowships + summer opportunities offer enough to live on. If you get into U of Oregon, Eugene and live in a graduate housing, you might come out rich. :)

I do get what you mean, though...some amount of loan might be unavoidable in most cases, especially if you have some debts to pay, etc (ironically)...But it's about how much loan. One might need a lot of it in NYC. 

It's unfortunate that we have to worry about $$ so much. I suppose if we were going to medical school or getting some technology degree, debt wouldn't be so scary. But the decision to pursue writing is such a huge risk to begin with. 

Let's hope for the best in any case! 

I don't think we're in disagreement =) Like, U of Minnesota (I have a friend who went there) has one substantial fellowship per year that is diversity based. There are summer funding opportunities, but only 4-5 students out of 36 get those each year. Students also have to pay some fees there. It's not totally livable unless you're lucky and get summer funding. It IS a great program and is definately worth attending if you're admitted. I feel that way about most of the "fully funded" programs--if you get full tuition, a semi-livable stipend, and health care--great! If I have to work over the summer, or if I end up having to take out 5k in debt to make things more livable, it's not the hugest deal. Yeah, like you said, there's a huge difference between 5k in debt and 50-100k. Re: Columbia: I feel the fully covered tuition and stipend makes it livable, supposing one does some kind of summer work. 

Hi, all!

I applied to 3 schools (poetry):

* Purdue, which I am assuming has sent out all acceptances in poetry (congrats, guys and gals!) -- this school made fairly early decisions, so I didn't have the luxury of lurking the comments to read something hopeful like "Will not accept offer because I got in to school XYZ." I'm not sure about the waitlist situation.

* Bowling-Green

* Western Mich. University

Nice to meet you all. I've been lurking, commiserating, and rooting for you all.

Applied to one program. University of Houston in creative non-fiction. No word from them yet. But their deadline was Dec. 31. According to the website all decisions will be made by the end of March. Anyone else shooting for U of H heard anything?

1 hour ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Just printed out my rejection letter from Syracuse and stuck it to my wall. In memory of the $75 plus I spent on that goddamned application. I could've bought like 5 cases of beer with that money. 

I wouldn't go down that road, mate. Or at least I shouldn't. I could've gone to Disneyland at least 8 times with my application money, or bought myself a sweet (pun intended) cotton candy machine. Sigh.

Anybody else have silly reasons they didn't apply to one program or another? I didn't apply to two top programs because of how they replied (or didn't, in one school's case) in emails, lol. But now I'm kicking myself because I might've whittled down my selections too much.

@JenP I know someone who went to Western for their MFA and they really loved it! Good luck!

1 hour ago, chamsee22 said:

Anybody else have silly reasons they didn't apply to one program or another? I didn't apply to two top programs because of how they replied (or didn't, in one school's case) in emails, lol. But now I'm kicking myself because I might've whittled down my selections too much.

There were a couple of schools that I didn't bother looking into because I found their websites sort of atrocious. Probably should have actually looked into them a little more, but hey, there's always next year.

I also immediately removed any school that had any sort of foreign language requirement from my list. Even the ones my undergrad courses probably would have allowed me to skip. But I feel a little less silly about that.

4 hours ago, gaudysideoftown said:

Just printed out my rejection letter from Syracuse and stuck it to my wall. In memory of the $75 plus I spent on that goddamned application. I could've bought like 5 cases of beer with that money. 

Sorry to hear that. But good on you for keeping the humor alive! 

I spent a thousand bucks on application fees and transcripts (those schools that ask for original copies before admission, they'll have questions to answer on judgement day!). I think that, if I ever get a book published, I would have to mention some credit card companies in the acknowledgements section.

@chamsee22: Disneyland, eh? I get the feeling we might be neighbors! :) 

Good luck, everyone! (And there was another Iowa notification, did y'all who applied there see?)

10 minutes ago, GlowStick said:

Iowa acceptances have all been fiction, right? What are the chances poetry has been going out and we just haven't heard versus they haven't started notifying yet? Anybody got a guess?

I'd assume there aren't any yet if they haven't been posted on either gradcafe or the draft. A substantial number of students are accepted to Iowa in each genre--if not one acceptance made it up, I'd assume they haven't started notifying yet.

2 hours ago, chamsee22 said:

@holycatI'm in west la! whereabouts are you? Did you apply to CA schools? I love los angeles, always will, but didn't want to apply anywhere in state. 

Used to be all over LA (mostly west LA) and now in OC. Yes, I have applied to a couple of local schools (UCI & UCR). I too want to go elsewhere just for the sake of change, but I still wanted to increase my chances. Plus, both schools have decent programs, with UCI being, well, UCI. It would be an honor to get in. Ever checked out UCI's MFA reading series, by the way? Attended one for the first time this winter and have been kicking myself for not having done so much earlier.