Applying for Master’s in Mental Health Counseling

PrincessPearl

I am currently a student in a mental health master's program. They care most about your professional experience and that you are an ' aspiring helping professional.' Many people in my program came from diverse, and are actually changing their careers. So, yes, that part of your application should not be a problem. 

Thank you so much for replying. I applied a few weeks ago and I am so nervous and afraid I won’t get accepted. I was just rereading my Personal Statement and I feel like I said all of the wrong things. Before I wrote my statement I had read that admissions committees were sick of hearing about “helping people” so I spent the entire page harping on my career goals; how I want to be a professional counselor and how ready and willing I am to complete the program. I was so busy trying to sound like a professional that I don’t think I even put anything personal in my personal statement.  

Edited by PrincessPearl

Thank you so much for replying. I applied a few weeks ago and I am so nervous and afraid I won’t get accepted. I was just rereading my Personal Statement and I feel like I said all of the wrong things. Before I wrote my statement I had read that admissions committees were sick of hearing about “helping people” so I spent the entire page harping on my career goals; how I want to be a professional counselor and how ready and willing I am to complete the program. I was so busy trying to sound like a professional that I don’t think I even put anything personal in my personal statement.  

Personal statement doesn't necessarily mean your personal history. In one of my applications I was told to write about one way that I helped someone, how I was successful, things I would do differently, and how this shaped my view on the helping profession. 

For the statement they wanted me to describe the factors that influenced my decision to apply to grad school and how their program will help me reach my professional goals. I basically said that I wanted to go to grad school because I want to have a career I could be proud of and that their program would help me reach my professional goals by helping me become a counselor.

Is that okay?

If I didn’t so well on the essay portion, how important is your GPA? The minimum GPA for acceptance is 3.0 and I have a 3.7. Will that help me out?

Sorry for all the questions. It’s just nice to find a forum where people have already been through the process and can actually give constructive criticism. I didn’t find this website until after I had already applied. I wish I would have found it sooner.

For the statement they wanted me to describe the factors that influenced my decision to apply to grad school and how their program will help me reach my professional goals. I basically said that I wanted to go to grad school because I want to have a career I could be proud of and that their program would help me reach my professional goals by helping me become a counselor.

Is that okay?

If I didn’t so well on the essay portion, how important is your GPA? The minimum GPA for acceptance is 3.0 and I have a 3.7. Will that help me out?

Sorry for all the questions. It’s just nice to find a forum where people have already been through the process and can actually give constructive criticism. I didn’t find this website until after I had already applied. I wish I would have found it sooner.

The number credentials are very department/university specific. Usually, the number solely helps to get you into the 'consider them more' pile, and from there, your SOP, LOR and resume do the rest of the trick. Don't worry as much though. Mental health counseling is a very 'personal journey' type of program. 

• 5 months later...

I did my undergrad in Economics and Business and was accepted into a great Mental Health Counseling program. It really comes down to whether you have a vision for your future. I would say, "I want a fulfilling career and counseling is it!" is kind of vague. Speak more to the why and not so much the what.