Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

28 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

WHAAAAA the train keeps running us overrrr

In the past IWW acceptances have come out slowly over an extended period of time. Makes sense b/c they accept 25 people per genre. So there's no reason to give up hope yet (unless you're me and your writing sample was wah-wah).

Oh, dear. I've just spent the last hour combing through the 2016 results posts. This weekend was relatively low-stress until I saw that Iowa fiction acceptance; I've just been casually, comfortably hacking at current coursework.

(Separately: why won't they let me into Draft???? That blindness hurts almost as much as the not-knowing w/r/t these other eleven schools)

26 minutes ago, nooncity said:

(Separately: why won't they let me into Draft???? That blindness hurts almost as much as the not-knowing w/r/t these other eleven schools)

Sometimes it just takes awhile to get approved. It's probably nothing personal. The Draft administrator is busy with grad school, AWP, etc.

24 minutes ago, Hortense said:

Sometimes it just takes awhile to get approved. It's probably nothing personal. The Draft administrator is busy with grad school, AWP, etc.

Thanks, @Hortense. Didn't think it was personal, really...I'm just looking for lame new things to get worked up about (and there are clearly so many things)

11 hours ago, nooncity said:

Thanks, @Hortense. Didn't think it was personal, really...I'm just looking for lame new things to get worked up about (and there are clearly so many things)

Hey, I understand -- I was in Draft purgatory for what felt like forever and I started to wonder if they just decided I couldn't be in the club. And now that I'm in, I have a very love/hate relationship with the steady stream of posts. Mostly love, because solidarity is nice, but also hate because as soon as I've let MFA thoughts leave my mind, a post pops up that reminds me -- commence anxiety spiral all over again.

Edited by badeyebrows

@badeyebrows misery loves company?

@ficpic89 I wonder how many people actually get phone calls. I spent too much time looking at last year's results and it seems rejections come via mail late February/early March, waitlists via email, acceptances mostly by phone. But they take such a relatively large number of people...so who's to say?? :(

Edited by nooncity

54 minutes ago, ficpic89 said:

How inappropriate would it be to email Iowa and straight-up ask what my status is, instead of waiting for weeks? Thoughts?

Yes, it would be inappropriate.

I'm thinking of this like a job interview. EVERYTHING you do and say could possibly affect your chances. For instance, if I were to get calls regarding a position in February from someone who had already been told that they'd hear back by a certain date (let's say, April 1), I'd take that as a sign the person either doesn't pay attention to instructions or is way too needy (IE, they wouldn't be a good independent worker and would seek a lot of extra input instead of following their directions). 

It's one thing to make sure they have all your materials, but another to call and ask specifically about YOUR chances. Either they'll give a generic answer or it'll impact how they see you as a candidate. Neither option gives you what you're looking for. 

Edited by Tif

4 minutes ago, Tif said:

Yes, it would be inappropriate.

I'm thinking of this like a job interview. EVERYTHING you do and say could possibly affect your chances. For instance, if I were to get calls regarding a position in February from someone who had already been told that they'd hear back by a certain date (let's say, April 1), I'd take that as a sign the person either doesn't pay attention to instructions or is way too needy (IE, they wouldn't be a good independent worker and would seek a lot of extra input instead of following their directions). 

It's one thing to make sure they have all your materials, but another to call and ask specifically about YOUR chances. Either they'll give a generic answer or it'll impact how they see you as a candidate. Neither option gives you what you're looking for. 

Great reply—that's what I figured. Oof. 

4 minutes ago, ficpic89 said:

Great reply—that's what I figured. Oof. 

Don't worry; we all feel the same way. I have to remind myself how inappropriate it would be, too. I feel my heart break just a little more every time I see an acceptance from one of my dream schools and know I haven't heard.

Hey all, 

I've been accepted to my top program, but am worried about financing the move and surviving over the summer (I'm working as a temp at Northwestern Uni right now and that work dries up in April). Do any of you know of the best place to apply for loans? Or grants? 

Wishing you all luck!

Hello everyone! I was wondering if it is really necessary to submit a CSS Profile and FAFSA application? Columbia asks for the CSS and Brown asks for the FAFSA. The CSS has a $25 fee and both forms require a lot of information that would be a hassle for me to get (my parents' financial info, etc). Especially since I am in my 30s and my parents have not supported me for many years. But since I would only attend those schools if I was offered a teaching assistantship, which usually includes full tuition remission and a stipend, is it necessary for me to fill out these financial aid forms? Thanks in advance! 

Hello fellow MFA applicants,

Long time lurker here also. Just curious if anyone has heard anything from University of Michigan Ann Arbor or know when they notify?

Good to have this community in these times of stress and self-doubt!

Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, pinkbluegreen said:

Just curious if anyone has heard anything from University of Michigan Ann Arbor or know when they notify?

I don't think anyone has heard anything yet. From last year's grad cafe results, they notified acceptances / waitlists in the third week of Feb, and rejections rolled out one to two weeks later. 

3 hours ago, paperpencil said:

I was wondering if it is really necessary to submit a CSS Profile and FAFSA application?

I filled out my FAFSA, though I'm also dependent on remission / stipends. Though it might be unnecessary, it was quick (and you can decline to report on your parents' info). I can also update it if more schools accept me. 

RE the CSS--can you wait until you're notified, then fill it out? Or, could you call Columbia's office of financial aid and ask for their opinion?

3 hours ago, paperpencil said:

I was wondering if it is really necessary to submit a CSS Profile and FAFSA application? 

Brown does say that in order to be considered for departmental funding, all applicants must submit a FAFSA regardless of whether or not they intend to take out a loan. So I think it's just safer to do it. It's actually very quick, and yes, you can decline to answer all the info about parents.

46 minutes ago, conch said:

Brown does say that in order to be considered for departmental funding, all applicants must submit a FAFSA regardless of whether or not they intend to take out a loan. So I think it's just safer to do it. It's actually very quick, and yes, you can decline to answer all the info about parents.

Wait, does that include international applicants??

Any intel on poetry at UMass Amherst?

I saw one acceptance on Draft and one on the results section here, and they could be the same person or different people. Have there really only been two possible reported acceptances? Is the rest of the accepted cohort in the stone ages of not reporting their results to strangers on the internet? Have they not finished making phone calls yet? Am I going crazy?