Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

I actually didn't apply there, I'm just trying to get an idea of turn around times! I'm attached at the hip to my email hoping to hear anything! Haha I haven't heard from anywhere I've applied... I submitted all my applications a month early so I feel like I've been waiting forever even though two of my schools deadlines haven't even passed yet. 

Were you accepted to FSU? 

Edited by KnowVac

Totally understand. Same here, checking my email constantly!! 

Yes, I was. No word on funding yet though, which is a large part of my decision. However, I am glad to know I am in somewhere! 

Arent you going to UCI interview this weekend? Good luck if you are!!! I'm sure it will go great! 

On 1/4/2016 at 2:39 PM, liesandfish said:

Good luck ThesisTerror! I'm sure the interview will go great. 

I also applied to UCF, being a new program I think the chance of being funded is more likely. I know everyone last year (first cohort) got fully funded. Every faculty I talked to from UCF was really excited about growing their program and even sent follow up emails. Just the waiting game. :( 

again, good luck at UCI! 

Thank you liesandfish! Good luck with UCF, I ended up NOT applying. 

On January 8, 2016 at 0:35 AM, liesandfish said:

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to let everyone know that FSU's application status page has decisions. :) 

Where does it have the decision on the status page?  Mine only shows my info, ID number, when I applied, and for which semester. 

Partinrn, it shows right under which semester applied for but above your transcripts and test scores. 

It may be that because I applied so early, they are doing rounds of looking them over? I turned in my applcation in early November, so I don't know if that has any bearing on the quick decision from the deadline. 

37 minutes ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

liesandfish,

I really just decided based on the location. I really don't want to live in Orlando for five years. I like the program though. My interview at UCI went really well. I'm confident but you really never know. 

Just waiting to hear back from other programs at this point. 

ThesisTerror, 

completely understand that! Orlando is crazy. 

Im glad your interview went well! Fingers crossed you hear soon, but I am sure you will be ok! 

I agree, waiting to hear may be more stressful than applying.....I've heard from two places but I applied to nine so I'm anxious still. Hope we all hear soon! 

1 hour ago, liesandfish said:

Congrats, Partinrn! 

Its a good feeling knowing that we have somewhere to go! :) 

I did not apply to Albany so no idea KnowVac, hope you hear good news soon! 

Couldn't agree more. It's still pretty early in the reviewing season (several schools don't even look at apps until Feb 1st) but hopefully we all get some good news here in a few weeks. 

A weird question, but does anyone have info on IUP's PhD program? I did some research before applying but there's talk ruminating that it's a pretty bad program. I don't know whether those claims are substantive or subjective in nature, which is why I thought I'd bring it up here. 

Partinrn, I don't know too much but I do know they do their comps after the first year and the girl I know who went there a few years ago did not pass comps. Apparently the faculty did not really help her at all and she was expected to be a work horse but was not given any guidance for comps. I don't know how founded this is as this was out of her mouth after she did not pass on both attempts- so take it with a grain of salt. 

I know IUP is also much more teaching focused and less research focused. 

Sorry I have no idea if this was helpful or not, but just the only information I know about IUP. 

32 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Partinrn, I don't know too much but I do know they do their comps after the first year and the girl I know who went there a few years ago did not pass comps. Apparently the faculty did not really help her at all and she was expected to be a work horse but was not given any guidance for comps. I don't know how founded this is as this was out of her mouth after she did not pass on both attempts- so take it with a grain of salt. 

I know IUP is also much more teaching focused and less research focused. 

Sorry I have no idea if this was helpful or not, but just the only information I know about IUP. 

I appreciate the info. I have also heard their comps are tricky and the student doesn't get much guidance (maybe they want you to be even more self sufficient??). I still have other schools to hear from, but if all else fails I will attend IUP. 

I applied for John Jay's Criminal Justice PhD. 

Undergrad GPA was 3.86, double major in Psych/Political Science but took a lot of CJ related courses. I worked at John Jay as a research assistant for about a year and completed an independent study project there. Tutored stats too but my quantitative GRE score sucks. 

Has anyone heard anything yet? I think it might be too early because the application deadline was January 1. This is killing me. 

I also applied at John Jay and have not yet heard anything. Hopefully we can all agree to post when we hear from programs? I think many of them send out the first acceptances a good bit before sending out the rejections, and I for one would like to know sooner rather than later! :-)

1 hour ago, phdincrim2016 said:

Hopefully we can all agree to post when we hear from programs? I think many of them send out the first acceptances a good bit before sending out the rejections, and I for one would like to know sooner rather than later! :-)

I didn't know we had such a pact.  I received an informal email ('bout a week ago) from the UF grad program coordinator about the committee's "intention" to admit me, with a formal letter soon to follow.  Funny thing is I'm still worried about them rescinding that acceptance and me not getting accepted anywhere else... Talk about paranoia

Edited by altikr25

38 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

I didn't know we had such a pact.  I received an informal email ('bout a week ago) from the UF grad program coordinator about the committee's "intention" to admit me, with a formal letter soon to follow.  Funny thing is I'm still worried about them rescinding that acceptance and me not getting accepted anywhere else... Talk about paranoia

I also received an informal acceptance from UF, about a week ago. From those in current and past cohorts at UF that I know, this is pretty standard for them- so try not to stress (easier said than done). Congrats!!! Do you think you will go visit? UF is one of my top choices so I am definitely going to visit. BUT I'm stressing until I hear from everywhere I've applied.....can't help it. 

Edited by liesandfish
Cause I sounded like a douche

24 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

I also received an informal acceptance from UF, about a week ago. From those in current and past cohorts at UF that I know, this is pretty standard for them- so try not to stress (easier said than done). Congrats!!! Do you think you will go visit? UF is one of my top choices so I am definitely going to visit. BUT I'm stressing until I hear from everywhere I've applied.....can't help it. 

Congrats!!

UF is not among my top choices. I would like to focus on biosocial crim and they don't have that.  They do have a professor that conducts research in that field, which is why I applied.  I'd rather attend a more biosocial-invested school if I could.

I don't think I will be visiting anytime soon, although that could change depending on what other responses I receive.

6 hours ago, altikr25 said:

Congrats!!

UF is not among my top choices. I would like to focus on biosocial crim and they don't have that.  They do have a professor that conducts research in that field, which is why I applied.  I'd rather attend a more biosocial-invested school if I could.

I don't think I will be visiting anytime soon, although that could change depending on what other responses I receive.

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to for biosocial? That's my intended area and I work at Cincinnati under a couple of biosocial professors. I applied to UC, FSU, and Sam Houston for biosocial. My other three applications are for my secondary interest of officer discretion and what impact, positive or negative, it may have over the life-course.