Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

First off, congrats to everyone who graduated this month! We survived!

Anyone else started their apartment hunting? I think I have a lock in on a place. I'll find out for sure tomorrow. The joys of pet rent... I'll be moving to Florida in early August.

Also, @KnowVac, one of my cohort is supposed to be joining you at IU. 

All in all, congratulations to everyone, and I hope to meet many of you at ASC in November!

• 2 months later...

@RoadtoPhD  Welcome!!  

It sounds like you have an outstanding background.  It looks as though you are definitely on the right path.  I understand being nervous about an aspect (whether it's a GRE score or an undergrad GPA or anything else)... the most important thing to remember is that most schools are looking at the overall picture in front of them.  Also.. and I don't know how true this is (maybe someone else can confirm or deny) but I was told that as long as the two score together add up to at least a 300 you should be OK.  If it makes you feel any better... my overall was only a 306 and yours is a 307.  :D

Also... and I don't know how open you are to this.. you can always take it again.  

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in with everyone and see how things were going!?!?!  

The time that we have waited for... and stressed over... for many, many months is almost here.  I can't wait to read all the wonderful research we put out in the world to better our field!!!

Best of luck to everyone... Hopefully... when things get tough and we get down and out.. we can still reach out to each other for support!!

• 3 months later...
On 8/12/2016 at 0:48 PM, 1428 Elm St said:

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in with everyone and see how things were going!?!?!  

The time that we have waited for... and stressed over... for many, many months is almost here.  I can't wait to read all the wonderful research we put out in the world to better our field!!!

Best of luck to everyone... Hopefully... when things get tough and we get down and out.. we can still reach out to each other for support!!

Hey there! I hope everyone had a successful first semester!

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2015 at 1:34 AM, Rose91 said:

Hello All, having just went through the cycling last year. I thought I could be of help to some of you. If you want further details feel free to message me. 

What areyour particular research interests?

Suny Albany has undergone quite some academic changes, I would say their notoriety is on the decline (if that's what your interested in)

Temple is a great school especially if you like urban life and applied research. However, the program is 7 years. U decide if it's worth the trade off

UP Irvine is great on paper and they have alot of funding. They seem more interested in developing scholars for R1 institutions. Very good for neighborhood and Corrections work. However, very expensive and "Stepford Wivesy"

Rutgers was always one of my top favs! Urban life, really relaxed faculty, close enough to NYC if you're into that, good grasp of both qual/quant work, both policy and research based, and how cool is it to have Maruna as your Dean! 

FSU is an all boys club to say the least, and they give out very little funding. South Florida very little funding as well. 

Okay folks, 

Hope I helped! Good Luck!

Any knowledge on SamHouston or University of Illinois-Chicago?