Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

6 hours ago, Partinrn said:

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to for biosocial? That's my intended area and I work at Cincinnati under a couple of biosocial professors. I applied to UC, FSU, and Sam Houston for biosocial. My other three applications are for my secondary interest of officer discretion and what impact, positive or negative, it may have over the life-course. 

Awesome! I applied to UCin, FSU and UPenn (Neurocrim), with UC and UPenn being my top choices.  I also applied to Northeastern and UF for developmental/life-course.  I figured that is related to, and can eventually be transitioned into, biosocial crim--plus they both have or had some biosocial faculty.

I sort of know some of the professors from Cincinnati.  I briefly met several at the ASC meeting in November.

On 1/19/2016 at 1:21 PM, Partinrn said:

A weird question, but does anyone have info on IUP's PhD program? I did some research before applying but there's talk ruminating that it's a pretty bad program. I don't know whether those claims are substantive or subjective in nature, which is why I thought I'd bring it up here. 

On 1/19/2016 at 1:21 PM, Partinrn said:

I received my undergrad from IUP in crim and can say the professors there are really great. I would not deem their PhD program bad. They are working to expand it and bring in top candidates to form a more prestige program. They definitely have the resources and faculty to do so. I applied there as a backup but would not be too terribly upset if I ended up there. Indiana is a great small town. I know they do emphasize the whole teaching side of academia but I don't think they neglect the research side. My only negative comment regarding IUP is that I feel they do not provide helpful resources to their students. I am not sure if they would be more helpful to their grad students, I would hope so. I know several people that completed their Masters at IUP and absolutely loved their program. Needless to say, IUP's PhD program most definitely has potential. The school itself is known for their crim department.

Thank you for the information. It is always good to hear from someone who attended the school and knows about the program (in general at least). IUP was not my top pick either, but I have been admitted. Now I have to wait on my other schools before I can make a decision. Thanks again!

39 minutes ago, nerdyjilly said:

Hello all, especially phdincrim2016.

I called JJ and was told that if selected for interview day, we will be notified in the end of February.

If our application was rejected we will hear back end of March. Ugggghhhhh!

Wow that seems like a pretty late notification...when we're JJ apps due? 

19 minutes ago, phdincrim2016 said:

They were due on January 1. These folks aren't in a hurry, are they? :-)

Ugh I feel for y'all. I hope everyone here who applied to JJ gets an interview. :) fingers crossed!!!! I can't imagine waiting that long to hear from a top choice school of mine. But patience is not my virtue. 

Anybody have information about upenn's interview/acceptance process? According to  past years' forums, some have been invited for interviews by now. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Anyone (KnowVac?) know about USC (South Carolina)? Deadline was a while ago, but have not heard anything from them. They are the ONLY program I applied to that I have not heard even an email from. Curious about the timeline. I know past years people heard early Feb. but if anyone has any information I would be interested to hear it! 

1 hour ago, liesandfish said:

Anyone (KnowVac?) know about USC (South Carolina)? Deadline was a while ago, but have not heard anything from them. They are the ONLY program I applied to that I have not heard even an email from. Curious about the timeline. I know past years people heard early Feb. but if anyone has any information I would be interested to hear it! 

You mean like the standard "thanks for submitting your application email" or actually heard some news back from?! I haven't heard anything from anywhere except the confirmation emails that say they got my application and it's under review haha...

As far as USC goes, I'm pretty sure they are one of the schools that gets back to candidates pretty late aka last week in Feb/ early March. Also, they definitely respond in waves. That's really all I know about the acceptance process at USC.

altikr25, unfortunately I know nothing about UPenn... I'm feeling that we should be hearing back from programs that interview soon though. I'm in the same boat as you, past boards show that some applicants had interviews scheduled with Albany the first week in Feb so hopefully we will hear something by next week! 

KnowVac, thanks for the info!! 

I have heard both the standard, "we got your app" and other emails from all schools I applied to (except USC). Most of them asking how funding packages would be preferred, signing docs about funding and telling me when I will hear back from them. BUT none of that was acceptances or guaranteed funding. And I have heard from two schools requesting skype interviews now. 

I have heard informally about funding from UF. 

Partinrn, congrats!!! FSU informed me that funding decisions will be made mid-Feb which is pretty common for them. 

2 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

KnowVac, I applied to the following schools: 

FSU, UF, UCF, USF, GSU, USC, George Mason, Harvard, UTDallas 

CrimQueen: my George Mason portal says the same thing. 

Sounds like you're trying to get out of the cold and I'm trying to get to it! Haha

oh well, the waiting continues! I'll be sure to update everyone if I hear anything from anywhere! 

32 minutes ago, crimqueen said:

has anyone heard back from George Mason? My portal says decision made but then there is nothing there?

My GM portal just says "complete." 

I don't know that we'll get any more info. from GM until the weather goes through, and that means next week... :-(

On January 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM, nerdyjilly said:

Hello all, especially phdincrim2016.

I called JJ and was told that if selected for interview day, we will be notified in the end of February.

If our application was rejected we will hear back end of March. Ugggghhhhh!

I have a friend in this program, and I know that he got in off an unofficial wait list (and is thriving and loving it -- he chose it over Albany and is very happy with his decision). I think in mid/late February JJ invites a round of about 20 applicants for a March campus visit (kind of a cross between an interview and a recruitment visit), but keep 10 or so in their back pocket in case it doesn't work out with the first 20.

14 hours ago, brokenwindow said:

I have a friend in this program, and I know that he got in off an unofficial wait list (and is thriving and loving it -- he chose it over Albany and is very happy with his decision). I think in mid/late February JJ invites a round of about 20 applicants for a March campus visit (kind of a cross between an interview and a recruitment visit), but keep 10 or so in their back pocket in case it doesn't work out with the first 20.

How far into the program is your friend? I LOVE it there, I wouldn't need to be recruited lol. Thank you for the info!

20 + 10 in a back pocket seems like a lot of candidates for less than 200 applications--I believe that was the estimate given at the information session. 

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews and offers! How exciting to think we all might work together someday. :) 

On January 22, 2016 at 9:12 PM, liesandfish said:

Ugh I feel for y'all. I hope everyone here who applied to JJ gets an interview. :) fingers crossed!!!! I can't imagine waiting that long to hear from a top choice school of mine. But patience is not my virtue. 

On January 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM, phdincrim2016 said:

They were due on January 1. These folks aren't in a hurry, are they? :-)

Thank you liesandfish! I have become much more patient over the years but this is just plain torture. 

Hopefully its worth the wait.

Can we agree to meet if we both get interviews phdincrime2016?

8 minutes ago, Kylie_ said:

Congrats!! I also received an email from GM with acceptance and official offer coming next week :)

Congrats back attcha!!! Fingers crossed for some funding! Did you do the survey monkey funding thing a few weeks ago from them?