Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

Just now, liesandfish said:

Congrats back attcha!!! Fingers crossed for some funding! Did you do the survey monkey funding thing a few weeks ago from them? 

I did! Assuming you did as well?

1 hour ago, nerdyjilly said:

Thank you liesandfish! I have become much more patient over the years but this is just plain torture. 

Hopefully its worth the wait.

Can we agree to meet if we both get interviews phdincrime2016?

Absolutely!

Just received acceptance from FSU through email, although my online status is still pending.

Also, received email invitation from NEU about future campus visit and meeting faculty. (Not an acceptance, but a good sign I guess.)  The email also mentioned that doctoral decisions are made in early March. 

47 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

Just received acceptance from FSU through email, although my online status is still pending.

Also, received email invitation from NEU about future campus visit and meeting faculty. (Not an acceptance, but a good sign I guess.)  The email also mentioned that doctoral decisions are made in early March. 

Congrats Altikr25! 

1 hour ago, altikr25 said:

I may be seeing you this fall at FSU, if I don't get into UC. On a separate note, what's the right amount of time to wait before declining or accepting an offer? I don't want to hold other people up but at the same time I have no idea regarding funding from any of the schools I've been accepted to. I feel bad because declining a school allows them to give someone else an acceptance (and we know what it feels like when your waiting to hear back!). 

Edited by Partinrn

30 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

I may be seeing you this fall at FSU, if I don't get into UC. On a separate note, what's the right amount of time to wait before declining or accepting an offer? I don't want to hold other people up but at the same time I have no idea regarding funding from any of the schools I've been accepted to. I feel bad because declining a school allows them to give someone else an acceptance (and we know what it feels like when your waiting to hear back!). 

I may see y'all there too. And I am not sure, I am not declining any offers I have had until I hear from most of my other schools//funding. I have funding informally but with no monetary value listed and I don't want to decline until I hear about that because it is a big factor for me. So I will probably wait until late Feb to decline other offers. Is there a standard? 

Also, does anyone know what is acceptable for sending an updated CV? I submitted all my apps in early November and have had two accepted pubs since then, among other small things. Is it bad to send an update to schools who are already likely reviewing applications? 

Edited by liesandfish

On January 22, 2016 at 2:33 PM, liesandfish said:

KnowVac, I applied to the following schools: 

FSU, UF, UCF, USF, GSU, USC, George Mason, Harvard, UTDallas 

CrimQueen: my George Mason portal says the same thing. 

Dang, you got that email from NEU today? When did you submit your application? 

Edited by KnowVac

23 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

No worries KnowVac! Good luck with NEU. I had an interview today and pretty sure I bombed. :( Such is life. 

If it makes you feel any better everyone who posted on here in the past years that thought they did horrible in the interviews ended up getting in! Haha 

4 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

11/13 is when I submitted my app to NEU. Who did you interview with fish?  

Oh wow! I didn't submit until 12/10 so that gives me some hope back!!! Now I will be checking my e-mail like a mad woman for the next 3 days! Thanks for the update! 

Thanks! I hope past years are an indication of how it will turn out vs. how I feel. I am glad I have other accepts so I know I have somewhere! I just hate the stress of knowing if I don't get in, it was likely because of this. 

Wah wah, going to drink some wine to go with my whine. 

Edited by liesandfish

1 hour ago, liesandfish said:

Thanks! I hope past years are an indication of how it will turn out vs. how I feel. I am glad I have other accepts so I know I have somewhere! I just hate the stress of knowing if I don't get in, it was likely because of this. 

Wah wah, going to drink some wine to go with my whine. 

Hang in there, fish. I'm sure it'll all turn out the best for you! 

23 hours ago, liesandfish said:

Also, does anyone know what is acceptable for sending an updated CV? I submitted all my apps in early November and have had two accepted pubs since then, among other small things. Is it bad to send an update to schools who are already likely reviewing applications? 

As long as your message is (obviously) pleasant and professional, I don't see how it could possibly hurt to get in touch with updated materials. I would just send an email to the PhD program director with the updated CV as an attachment. If they don't want to evaluate it, or if they have already done their review, they can just not read it. Good luck!

38 minutes ago, phdincrim2016 said:

As long as your message is (obviously) pleasant and professional, I don't see how it could possibly hurt to get in touch with updated materials. I would just send an email to the PhD program director with the updated CV as an attachment. If they don't want to evaluate it, or if they have already done their review, they can just not read it. Good luck!

Thanks PhdinCrim2016! I will do that for the schools I haven't heard from! Just figure a few accepted pubs was worth mentioning. But who knows- worst case they just use my other cv. 

17 minutes ago, nerdyjilly said:

Do it! It can't hurt to try. 

Thanks @nerdyjilly and @phdincrim2016 I just sent an short, polite email with my updated CV. :) I don't think it can hurt. I hope someone receives some news today, GOOD NEWS! I feel this little sense of pride for everyone when y'all post positive news. 

Well ladies and gents it appears that UC has sent out their acceptances and will not convene again until next month, and that's if they need more people to admit. I know the Graduate Director and he's a very nice guy, but it looks like they've made up their mind. There's a small sliver of hope, depending on how many people accept/reject the offer, but it doesn't look so good. So I've officially decided to go to Florida State. Hopefully I'll see some of you there!