2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

I'm thinking about taking the subject test as well.

@Gram Neutral: I would think anything about 75% would be competitive? 

Also, I noticed weird discrepancies with scoring. It says all subject GRE tests are out of 990, but then if you look at the GRE Biochem percentile breakdown on the ETS website, it says 99th percentile = 740?

I don't get it. 

Try not to get confused about percentiles when thinking about it in terms of grades. There really is no correlation.  Percentiles (for ETS anyway) just means that that percentage of test takers have scores at or below you (or vice-versa, it means you've scored better or at the same level as the percentage of people [if you're a cup half full or half empty type]). So in the case of the Biochem breakdown, scoring a 740 would mean that you've scored the same or better than 99 percent of test takers, based on their calculations.

Hey guys,

just wanted to offer my help and experiences for future applicants, especially for internationals ;) I myself am German and will move to NYC in two weeks time in order to attent the BCMB program at Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences. If can help in any help or answer any questions, just go ahead and write here or PM me.

Best of luck to everyone and never lose hope, even if the waiting can be tough at some point :)

Also, what exactly is considered a good score for the subject test?

75th percentile or higher is usually worth sending in to the adcomm, any lower and unless it is required - it's is more detrimental than helpful. 

I'm thinking about taking the subject test as well.

@Gram Neutral: I would think anything about 75% would be competitive? 

Also, I noticed weird discrepancies with scoring. It says all subject GRE tests are out of 990, but then if you look at the GRE Biochem percentile breakdown on the ETS website, it says 99th percentile = 740?

I don't get it. 

The biochem tends to be the tougher exam of the 2 "bio" subject exams. You don't really have to worry about absolute score but percentile instead. 

I just took the GRE earlier today and was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether or not I should retake it.  Especially in the context of my entire application.  Also, what score on the AW part would be bad enough to retake the entire test?  This was the first time that I've taken the GRE and really don't want to go through it again, so I will if it would make my application better for the schools to which I'm applying.

I posted before on this thread so this is an updated profile!  Thank you so much for any help or advice!!!

Undergrad Institution: Iowa State University
Major(s):  Biochemistry
Minor(s):  Microbiology; Genetics
GPA in Major:  3.91
Overall GPA:  3.74
Position in Class: Unknown (top 25%???)
Type of Student: Domestic, white female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:  162
V:  165
W:  Unknown
B:  Not going to take due to graduate coursework (Unless I should take the biochem one???)

Research Experience:

Iowa State University: January 2014 - present, fruit fly obesity related to heterochromatin organization; I am responsible for the project as if I were a grad student (pilot project for the lab), poster, 5 oral presentations

NSF REU in Microbiology: Summer 2014;  Lactobacillus diversity in murine gut microbiome effect on resistance to malaria; 1 poster, 1 presentation; 1 publication under review

Harvard Amgen Program: Summer 2015;  Effects of TNF-alpha signaling in hematopoietic niche in bone marrow in the context of chemotherapy/adhesive and migratory behaviors of HSPCs after inflammatory stimulation; 1 poster, 1 oral presentation

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

National Merit Scholar

NSF REU Fellow

Amgen Scholar

Linder Fellow (research fellowship at my school)

Department of Biochemistry Scholar

Weber Family Scholarship

Marian LeFevre Scholarship

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Scholarship

University Honors Member

Univesity Dean's List (2012-present)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Biochemistry Undergraduate Club

Stupka Symposium Committee (Planning our undergraduate research symposium at ISU)
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Female

Recommender from Harvard is a famous pioneer in the HSC niche/immunology, REU recommender is a top researcher in microbial ecology, home recommender is national authority on JIL-1 kinase

Connections due to Amgen Scholar status

Graduate Classes:

• Comprehensive Biochemistry I
  • Comprehensive Biochemistry II
  • Virology
  • Molecular Signaling
  • Molecular Genetics
  • Immunology
  • Advanced Developmental Biology
  • Pathogenic Organisms
  • Bacterial Molecular Genetics
  • Microbial Physiology and Phylogenetics

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  ???

Applying to Where: 

Harvard University (Immunology)

Rockefeller University (David Rockefeller Graduate Program)

Princeton University (Molecular Biology)

Stanford University (Immunology track of Biosciences)

UCSF (Tetrad)

University of Washington (Immunology)

Vanderbilt University (IGP)

University of Tennessee (Microbiology)

I just took the GRE earlier today and was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether or not I should retake it.  Especially in the context of my entire application.  Also, what score on the AW part would be bad enough to retake the entire test?  This was the first time that I've taken the GRE and really don't want to go through it again, so I will if it would make my application better for the schools to which I'm applying.

I posted before on this thread so this is an updated profile!  Thank you so much for any help or advice!!!

Personally, especially considering your V and Q scores, I don't think your AW score will matter unless you get something like a 1. It is seriously the absolutely least important part of your application and the rest of what you have looks great.

I also don't think there's any need for you to take a subject test. That's more useful for international students or if you have a deficiency such as a non-science major. Or, naturally, if a program that interests you explicitly requires it.

Instead, work on writing an awesome SOP for where you're interested in attending. It will be a better use of time.

biochemgirl67 - your GRE score is fine. There is no need to retake the general GRE or take the subject test (unless of course you got the money to burn or want the challenge). I would say focus on your SoP and save that money for the applications.

Personally, especially considering your V and Q scores, I don't think your AW score will matter unless you get something like a 1. It is seriously the absolutely least important part of your application and the rest of what you have looks great.

I also don't think there's any need for you to take a subject test. That's more useful for international students or if you have a deficiency such as a non-science major. Or, naturally, if a program that interests you explicitly requires it.

Instead, work on writing an awesome SOP for where you're interested in attending. It will be a better use of time.

biochemgirl67 - your GRE score is fine. There is no need to retake the general GRE or take the subject test (unless of course you got the money to burn or want the challenge). I would say focus on your SoP and save that money for the applications.

Thank you so much for your input!  I don't want to take the GRE again and wasn't planning to unless people on here said in a unanimous way that the schools to which I'm applying require a higher score profile.  And I certainly don't want to take the subject exam!  (Too much work :P)

I really appreciate the responses!

Undergrad Institution: Small, liberal arts school in the PNW
Major(s):  Biochemistry
Minor(s):  N/A
GPA in Major:  3.51 (A's and A-'s in all science classes. Met some difficulty in calculus.)
Overall GPA:  3.61
Position in Class: Unranked
Type of Student: Domestic, male

Q:  162 (83%)
V:  162 (90%)
W:  4 (56%)
B:  Really unsure of whether I'll end up taking it.

Research Experience:

Two summers at a small pharmacy school in California. General lab duties and procedures; worked primarily with ELISA, cell culture, HPLC, and protocol design/testing. Have been working on a number of projects; however, no publications to show for it. 
The project that I have spend the most time on hit a wall and has been slow going ever since, I'll likely implement this into my SoP.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Dean's List for most of my quarters.

School scholarship for excellence in chemistry and biochemistry.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Undergraduate general chemistry and biochemistry lab TA

General chemistry tutor for the school tutoring center

President of an organic chemistry tutoring and test preparation club

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 
None that I'm aware of..

Special Bonus Points:

No. *sigh*

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where: 

Immunology programs only on the West coast due to personal/family reasons. (I know, it is rather limiting).

OHSU (PMCB)

UC Davis (Immunology/Immune Signaling)

UC San Diego (Immunology/Microbiology)

UC Los Angeles (Biosciences)

UC Irvine (Cell/Molec Bioscience/Immunology)

U Arizona (Immunobiology)

I still feel like I'm aiming a little bit too high and have no safety schools; none of the schools are especially easy to get into and I guess U Arizona seems to not like non-Arizonians. 

Applying to Where: 

Immunology programs only on the West coast due to personal/family reasons. (I know, it is rather limiting).

OHSU (PMCB)

UC Davis (Immunology/Immune Signaling)

UC San Diego (Immunology/Microbiology)

UC Los Angeles (Biosciences)

UC Irvine (Cell/Molec Bioscience/Immunology)

U Arizona (Immunobiology)

I still feel like I'm aiming a little bit too high and have no safety schools; none of the schools are especially easy to get into and I guess U Arizona seems to not like non-Arizonians. 

This is tough, since most of the West Coast schools are rather elite, especially in our field. Would you consider Denver? They have some cool research going on, both at Anshultz and in Boulder. Also University of New Mexico just got new directors for their Cancer Center, who were formerly at my institution, they have done great work. 

This is tough, since most of the West Coast schools are rather elite, especially in our field. Would you consider Denver? They have some cool research going on, both at Anshultz and in Boulder. Also University of New Mexico just got new directors for their Cancer Center, who were formerly at my institution, they have done great work. 

I've been flirting with the idea of Denver; I haven't yet looked at U New Mexico. I'll have to take a closer look at both programs.

If anyone has a chance to look over my profile on the first page and critique it (especially on stats), I'd greatly appreciate it <3

I think that if you've taken Calc I/II and Calc III/Diff EQ possibly with quantum mechanics/thermo (Physical chemistry), no one will look twice at your quantitative score.  You're not applying for computational, chemistry, or engineering programs, so I don't think they will care.  Although I completely understand the freak out, because I recently took the GRE and totally did not get above 90th percentile in quantitative (but killed the verbal) and proceeded to wonder if I should retake.  I was looking at the dates on your profile; did you take a gap year or an extra year to finish school?  If so, did you do anything in that time that underlined your desire for grad school?  (SoP material if you did.)  I wouldn't include the class-based research unless it shaped your thinking and then only if you did anything related afterward.  I would, however, highlight your graduate coursework.  I personally have taken 10 grad courses while in undergrad and each one of them shaped my thinking and scientific brain.  It's something that made me sure I was ready for graduate school and it's what I wanted... if it's the same for you, tell them in your SoP.

I would say that your school list is long.  Almost too long, simply because are you really going to write that many personal statements, making each one tailored in some way to that program?  Could you cut it down to 8?  You'll get in to at least one.  But I would say that make sure you want to go to every school on that list.  When you apply to the top schools, sometimes it's just luck and you don't want to get yourself stuck.  The only reason I say that is because the locations/feels of all these schools are incredibly different.  That's important, because you've got to live there for 4-6 years!

All in all, you're in good shape.  Really, incredibly good shape.

If anyone has critiques over my profile (1st page), please feel free to share!  I welcome any and all criticisms, especially since this application process is nerve wracking.

Edited by biochemgirl67

Although I completely understand the freak out, because I recently took the GRE and totally did not get above 90th percentile in quantitative (but killed the verbal) and proceeded to wonder if I should retake.

Something to keep in mind us that the GRE percentiles are not like the SAT/ACT where a very large segment of the population is tested (in some states all high schoolers take the exam). The GRE is only taken by those who are interested in graduate school, so it's a select group who have a history of strong academic performance. So, people who easily were in the 90th percentile or higher in the past could easily drop to a percentile they've never seen before, even though it is still a good score.

Applying to Where:

UC Berkeley - ESPM (Range Management)

UC Davis - Ecology GG

San Diego State U - Ecology

Humboldt State - Wildlife Biology

U Georgia - Forestry and Natural Resources

Colorado State U - Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology

Mississippi State U - Wildlife, Fisheries, and Aquaculture

U Michigan - Natural Resources

Note: at this point, I'm looking at MS or MFS programs as I'm not sure I want to do a Ph.D.

I am going to second Shadowclaw on starting a profile thread for EEB and perhaps "other" biology-related majors (like marine bio).  This thread is going to become dominated by neuroscience and other bio-med applicants and you will get lost in the shuffle and in general not relate to the over-arching "discussion" that is bound to happen here (maybe). 

Hey is anyone familiar with Northwestern on here? They have their two programs, their umbrella type program on campus and then their program at the hospital in Chicago. What exactly are the differences though other than research topics? Which is competitive or respected? Harder to get into, etc.

Hey is anyone familiar with Northwestern on here? They have their two programs, their umbrella type program on campus and then their program at the hospital in Chicago. What exactly are the differences though other than research topics? Which is competitive or respected? Harder to get into, etc.

DGP has more faculty than IBG, besides research topics that's the only big difference. They are both respected. One's through the university and the other is through NW's med school. Apply to the only that has more faculty you are interested in. 

I've been flirting with the idea of Denver; I haven't yet looked at U New Mexico. I'll have to take a closer look at both programs

Have you considered looking at OHSU? Their immunology department is smaller but its a great program. 

Have you considered looking at OHSU? Their immunology department is smaller but its a great program. 

Yes! It's one of my top choices!

I've heard that it can be quite competitive as well, despite being smaller. 

Hey guys. I'm an international student applying to the US for a PhD. I really would appreciate it if a few people here would look at my profile and let me know what my chances are like. Thanks for taking the time to read this :).

Undergrad Institution: Foreign school in the United Arab Emirates but a completely American system of schooling.
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.95
Overall GPA: 3.97
Position in Class: 1st
Type of Student: International: Algerian Nationality (considered African)

GRE Scores (revised/old version): I've signed up to do the real thing but for now I'll just post the scores I got from the first practice test I did from ETS Powerprep II
Q: 163 (86%)
V: 158 (80%)
W: Haven't done this yet :(.
B: Not sure if I need this; relying on you guys to help me out about whether or not I should.

TOEFL Total: Need this for a couple of schools I'm applying to. Signed up for it but not too worried since the last time I did it to get into undergrad I got 118/120 in the Internet-Based test.

Research Experience: I have worked under 2 supervisors; one in a study-abroad experience at University of Wisconsin La-Crosse and one at my home university. In the former, it was genetics research for 4 months into the metabolic effects of an antimicrobial on fungi. The latter is interdisciplinary involving the use of ultrasound as a trigger for releasing anti-cancer drugs from liposomes and will continue for roughly 6 months. I also expect to co-author an article with 2 grad students in this research roughly in January 2016.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Lots of Dean's List and Chancellor's List awards.

Outstanding Student of Biology award for 2014 and (expecting) Outstanding Senior of Biology for 2016.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Grader for undergraduate courses such as genetics.

Peer tutor in the University Writing Centre.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Selected for and participated in a 10-day workshop organized with the title of Islam and Science under the supervision of the Templeton Foundation. Also awarded second place in project presentations.

Special Bonus Points: The professor I worked under at my home university is well respected in his field (biomedical sciences) and is willing to write me a strong letter of recommendation so that's a plus :).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: As a study abroad student, I suppose this will be a plus when compared to other international students as I have already experienced and overcome the difficulties that come with studying far away from home and family. So that might give me a slight edge....

Applying to Where: As for the universities I'm applying to, I'm setting my sights quite high. A lot of the universities on this list are ranked within the top 10 of the field which is why I've put in a relatively high number of universities (13). Technically, Madison is my first choice and I think my statement of purpose will help me in this since I did my study abroad at another university in the Wisconsin system so I can use that to my advantage.

DartmouthMolecular and Cellular Biology                        
HarvardMolecules, Cells and Organisms
Madison WIMolecular and Cellular Biology
StanfordBBS track
PrincetonMolecular Biology
U.MichiganCell and Molecular Biology
VermontCellular, Molecular and Biomedical
U.PennBiology Graduate Program
Duke UniversityCell Biology PhD program
McGillAnatomy and Cell Biology
CornellMolecular and Cellular Biology
Northwestern Interdisciplinary Biological sciences
Brown Molecular, Cell and Biochemistry

Undergrad Institution: Missouri Western State University 
Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.27
Overall GPA: 3.31 in last 60 credits
Position in Class: No idea - I would guess average
Type of Student: Domestic, caucasian female, non-traditional (will be 27 when I graduate)

Q: Taking August 26th, 2015
V: Taking August 26th, 2015
W: Taking August 26th, 2015
B:

Research Experience: 

January - May 2015: Biochemistry undergraduate research - expression, purification, and analysis of GST-fusion proteins from E.coli; no publications or presentations, more of a learning experience

January 2015 - May 2016: Computational biology/chemistry/drug design - Using artificial neural networks to analyze and test sequences found in a novel exonic splicing enhancers motif recognized by the human serine-arginine rich protein SC35; will be looking at anticoagulants as well as taxol starting this fall; several local presentations, will have minimum one first-author paper in JBS; oral presentation at regional ACS conference as well as running a portion of the drug design workshop at the conference

Summer 2015 - May 2016: Internship with NASA at Johnson Space Center in Microbiology lab - The effect of simulated microgravity on the microbial physiology of Ralstonia pickettii isolates from the international space station: studying bacterial response to simulated microgravity environment, development of silver biocide system for Orion spacecraft, immunological imaging, collaborated with engineering team on heat exchanger system for Orion spacecraft; will continue to work on this project from my school for the next 2 semesters - minimum 3 conference presentations (one regional ACS oral, others will be space related) and 1 paper

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Outstanding Student - involved a photoshoot and interview for my schools promotional stuff and apparently I will be on a billboard or something lol, no awards as of yet besides a chemistry scholarship related to success in research

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chemistry mentor and lab assistant in lower level chemistry labs; Vice-President of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Club (ASBMB Student Chapter; will be 4 semesters at graduation)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Will update if I think of something

Special Bonus Points: Connections within NASA, Pfizer, ASU; not many school related connections but people who KNOW people in many schools

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Will update if I think of something

Applying to Where: Schools underlined are definite, others I am still looking into the programs

The Graduate School at the Stowers Institute - Biology - Neural Crest Development and Cancer, Biological Imaging

University of Kansas - Medical Center - Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - 

MIT - Biological Engineering - Biomaterials, Carcinogenesis, Drug Delivery, Tissue Engineering

University of Kansas - Bioengineering - Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering

University of Nebraska - Lincoln - Biological Systems Engineering - Tissue Engineering

Rice University - Bioengineering - Biomaterials and Drug Delivery

Yale University - Biomedical Engineering - Biomedical Imaging and Drug Delivery

Tufts University - Biomedical Engineering - Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering

If anyone has the time to critique the competitiveness of my application, I'd really appreciate it! I posted my stats on the first page, but I will go ahead and copy and paste them here if it's easier. 

Undergrad Institution: Top-tier state school, good reputation in biomedical sciences
Major(s): Biology/Psychology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.53
Position in Class: Unknown, probably top 25%
Type of Student: domestic female

Q: 162 (83%)
V: 161 (87%)
W: 4.0 (not so great)
B:

Research Experience: 2.5 years undergraduate neuroscience/neuroimaging research, 1 year post-bac fellowship in neuroscience research at top-tier private school

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list 6 semesters, Psychology honors society, graduated with distinction

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research assistant 2.5 years, research fellow 1 year

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: first-authored publication that has been submitted recently, 3 poster presentations

Special Bonus Points: Took graduate translational neuroscience class, had independent research project as an undergrad (led to pub and posters)

Applying to Where:

My (pretty much) finalized list of neuroscience programs:

Medical University of South Carolina- Neuroscience Institute

Washington University in St. Louis- DBBS

Emory University- GDBBS

Northwestern University- NUIN

Georgetown University- IPN

Hey all, 

I just wanted some input about my GRE scores. I scored V:157 Q:155, I was just wondering if I should retake it to raise my quant score (I'm pretty disappointed in it), but not too sure how much of a factor it will be. I also have an undergrad gpa of 3.51,about 2 years research experience(no pubs), and am a Domestic applicant if that helps.

I'm looking to apply to U pitt, Uillinois Urbana-champagne, UCSF, UT-southwestern, UT-MD anderson, Duke, and maybe vanderbilt. pretty much all developmental bio programs. 

appreciate it.

Hey all, 

I just wanted some input about my GRE scores. I scored V:157 Q:155, I was just wondering if I should retake it to raise my quant score (I'm pretty disappointed in it), but not too sure how much of a factor it will be. I also have an undergrad gpa of 3.51,about 2 years research experience(no pubs), and am a Domestic applicant if that helps.

I'm looking to apply to U pitt, Uillinois Urbana-champagne, UCSF, UT-southwestern, UT-MD anderson, Duke, and maybe vanderbilt. pretty much all developmental bio programs. 

appreciate it.

I have applied in the past to some of those programs with a much lower GPA (3.0) but a higher gre score. (160 and 158). I did not get in. There's many factors in an application. If you think your application is strong enough, then don't retake it. However, I would imagine those numbers are below an institution like Duke's average. If I were in my shoes and got those scores, I would retake it. But my profile is different than yours. Also it's Champaign not Champagne. They might reject you just for that ;-) good luck! 

Edited by Gram Neutral

Would mega-appreciate it if someone could comment on the competitiveness of my application - Thanks! ^_^

Undergrad Institution: Ivy League
Major(s): Developmental Biology
GPA in Major: 3.912
Overall GPA: 3.847
Position in Class: Unknown
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores:
Q: 166 (92%)
V: 167 (97%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
B: Taking this in September

Research Experience: Will be 2.5 years by the time applications are in. All in the same lab under a well-known PI in skeletal muscle biology. One summer abroad working on nuclear reprogramming.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: On track to graduate with high honors. Received two fellowships to support summer research. Developed and writing an independent undergraduate thesis.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored undergraduates in Stem Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry for two years. Course Assistant in Stem Cell Biology. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: One forthcoming poster presentation and pub (which will almost certainly not be released by the time of applying)

Special Bonus Points: One of my recommenders is a Nobel Laureate

Applying to Where: 

MIT - Biology

Harvard - MCO

Harvard - BBS

Yale - BBS

Stanford - SCBRM

UCSF - DSCB

The Rockefeller