Jump to content

2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got my first acceptance. This is my 3rd time applying. I've worked really hard to get myself into this position, and I'm really excited to finally have the opportunity. Oh man... 

I just have to share this with someone... Accepted at Vanderbilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG so excited.  I love that they do rolling acceptances because now all the other schools are competing to wow

Dude.  You're speaking kinda out of your butt.  I think it's horrible to tell the people that they should go for a masters instead of a phd for something such as GPA.  I mean, I'll always encourage pe

Posted Images

On 3/12/2016 at 9:43 PM, Gram Positive said:

So glad to have completed all these wonderful interviews! Getting pretty close to a decision here. Now on to waiting for the GRFP :) 

@Gram Positive I've heard such fun stuff about NIH OxCam!! Dang you have some cool options lined up there - Which one are you leaning towards? 

On 3/11/2016 at 6:16 PM, Ferroportin said:

Just officially committed to UCSF BMS! So glad to be done...

Lovely program - congratulations! I had an interview at WashU with this PI who did his PhD from UCSF and as you can imagine 75% of my interview was about how brilliant a program UCSF has. I was like which program are you exactly selling? :lol::lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2016 at 11:48 AM, ms_green_genes said:

Thanks, Sarah! Maybe she's on a wait list or something. She got offers super-fast from UNC and UCLA. It's hard waitIng on these last 3. Maybe more so for me, since she really loved UNC.

Did your daughter ever hear back from Vanderbilt? 

I ended up accepting a different offer from a program that I felt like it was a much stronger fit. Interestingly though I still haven't heard back since my 1/30 interview weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

okay, kind of late but let me put my results on here as well, maybe it will help some people planning to apply in the future get an idea

Undergrad Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major(s):  Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.47(at the time of application, 3.44 now)
Overall GPA: 3.45(at the time of application,3.48 now)
Position in Class: maybe above average, no clue though
Type of Student: International,  with US degree

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 158
W: 4.0
B:


TOEFL Total: almost none of the programs i applied to wanted a toefl score because i have a us degree, couldnt apply to some programs because it was too late when i realized they required a toefl score regardless

Research Experience: Working in a genetics lab since the start of my junior year so it would be 4 semesters at the time of graduation...also did some brief internships back home during the summer of 2015 and 2014 in a commercial genetics lab that did testing and a biochemistry lab- no publications though

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing outside of research

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: may write a senior thesis this year

Special Bonus Points: n/a


Applying to Where:

for PhD applicatons:

UC Berkeley MCB- this was reaching very hard, i got rejected anyway on 14th of january

Yale BBS- also reaching, i got rejected

Northwestern IBIS- still waiting for a decision, probably not going to get admitted though(interviewed)

UIUC MCB- rejected on late january :(

UIC MCDB/Neuroscience- rejected(with interview  )

WashU DBBS- rejected

 

accepted into two masters programs in the UK at King's College London and Imperial College London. going to try my luck again after i complete my masters, hopefully with better GRE scores, more experience, better personal statement, maybe publications and a slightly higher undergrad gpa.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burcet said:

okay, kind of late but let me put my results on here as well, maybe it will help some people planning to apply in the future get an idea

Undergrad Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major(s):  Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.47(at the time of application, 3.44 now)
Overall GPA: 3.45(at the time of application,3.48 now)
Position in Class: maybe above average, no clue though
Type of Student: International,  with US degree

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 158
W: 4.0
B:


TOEFL Total: almost none of the programs i applied to wanted a toefl score because i have a us degree, couldnt apply to some programs because it was too late when i realized they required a toefl score regardless

Research Experience: Working in a genetics lab since the start of my junior year so it would be 4 semesters at the time of graduation...also did some brief internships back home during the summer of 2015 and 2014 in a commercial genetics lab that did testing and a biochemistry lab- no publications though

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing outside of research

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: may write a senior thesis this year

Special Bonus Points: n/a


Applying to Where:

for PhD applicatons:

UC Berkeley MCB- this was reaching very hard, i got rejected anyway on 14th of january

Yale BBS- also reaching, i got rejected

Northwestern IBIS- still waiting for a decision, probably not going to get admitted though(interviewed)

UIUC MCB- rejected on late january :(

UIC MCDB/Neuroscience- rejected(with interview  )

WashU DBBS- rejected

 

accepted into two masters programs in the UK at King's College London and Imperial College London. going to try my luck again after i complete my masters, hopefully with better GRE scores, more experience, better personal statement, maybe publications and a slightly higher undergrad gpa.

 

 

 

 

UIUC just doesn't want to take back its own ;-) haha. The whole University of Illinois system also didn't want me(fellow UIUC). Don't feel too bad. I am sure after your master's you will get into a good school. You actually applied to mostly super competitive programs. If you had thrown in some safety schools you might have gotten into them, so don't think of yourself as a bad candidate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burcet said:

 

accepted into two masters programs in the UK at King's College London and Imperial College London. going to try my luck again after i complete my masters, hopefully with better GRE scores, more experience, better personal statement, maybe publications and a slightly higher undergrad gpa.

 

 

 

 

I have a couple friends at Imperial's Biomedical research program and they are really enjoying it there. Good news is it's short and should prepare you well! Good luck for the NU decision! Being an international candidate must be very rough as you seem qualified for some schools that you've listed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gram Neutral said:

UIUC just doesn't want to take back its own ;-) haha. The whole University of Illinois system also didn't want me(fellow UIUC). Don't feel too bad. I am sure after your master's you will get into a good school. You actually applied to mostly super competitive programs. If you had thrown in some safety schools you might have gotten into them, so don't think of yourself as a bad candidate. 

yeah, for uiuc the program coordinator told me that they invite very few of their own for interviews because they want us to "go and explore other opportunities". i will try my luck again though with an improved application. i like it here.

2 hours ago, adiJ said:

I have a couple friends at Imperial's Biomedical research program and they are really enjoying it there. Good news is it's short and should prepare you well! Good luck for the NU decision! Being an international candidate must be very rough as you seem qualified for some schools that you've listed.

 

oh thank you guys i just think phd applications can be kinda unpredictable and i really wanted to get into a top program for my phd. thats why i didnt apply to lots of safety schools. although i am questioning that reasoning now because its probably way more important to find good potential pi's. i felt bad about it but relieved with my masters decisions because both are supposed to be really good schools. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been trying to turn down schools as soon as I know I'm not going there to open the spot for people on the waiting list. I got an official offer letter in the mail from Pitt and I signed it and returned my decline of offer as soon as I got into my second choice. I got an email that they received it February 18th. Last week I got an official rejection letter in the mail from Pitt dated February 18th. I thought it was weird and then yesterday I got an email from Tennessee that the program told the graduate school I withdrew my application after I turned down that offer too. It seems like ethically gray area stuff that schools are doing to improve their acceptance rate. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarahjc said:

I've been trying to turn down schools as soon as I know I'm not going there to open the spot for people on the waiting list. I got an official offer letter in the mail from Pitt and I signed it and returned my decline of offer as soon as I got into my second choice. I got an email that they received it February 18th. Last week I got an official rejection letter in the mail from Pitt dated February 18th. I thought it was weird and then yesterday I got an email from Tennessee that the program told the graduate school I withdrew my application after I turned down that offer too. It seems like ethically gray area stuff that schools are doing to improve their acceptance rate. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

It could also be something like, they have to formally clear you out of their system before they can offer a spot to someone else? Just a guess

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarahjc said:

I've been trying to turn down schools as soon as I know I'm not going there to open the spot for people on the waiting list. I got an official offer letter in the mail from Pitt and I signed it and returned my decline of offer as soon as I got into my second choice. I got an email that they received it February 18th. Last week I got an official rejection letter in the mail from Pitt dated February 18th. I thought it was weird and then yesterday I got an email from Tennessee that the program told the graduate school I withdrew my application after I turned down that offer too. It seems like ethically gray area stuff that schools are doing to improve their acceptance rate. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

This happened to me too back during the interview process. I got an interview invite from one of my schools (Boston College's behavioral neuro program) and declined the invite for a couple different reasons. Two weeks later I got a rejection letter. I guess it's a little different than this happening after interviews took place because I guess you could say that someone could think that they would get into a program while still declining an interview invite (and therefore a rejection letter would still need to be sent) but it felt a little weird to me too and I definitely was wondering if it was a ploy to improve their acceptance rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone waiting for Stanford Biosciences microbiology & immunology, first round of offers is coming out now! They were waiting for funding info for international students. They're trying to keep rolling admissions over every week.

Source: phone call from interviewer

Edited by firmicutie
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, burcet said:

Undergrad Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

accepted into two masters programs in the UK at King's College London and Imperial College London. going to try my luck again after i complete my masters, hopefully with better GRE scores, more experience, better personal statement, maybe publications and a slightly higher undergrad gpa.

I'm an example of a student that got into her top choice school after doing a research-based masters! Even without publications, your application will be stronger than many undergrads with pubs simply due to two years of full-time research experience as a MS student. It is a good time to prove to yourself that you want to do graduate school. It will also set you ahead of some of the other students in both lab and coursework.

Speaking of UIUC, my ug institution used to have a not-so-nice song they sang about them. Being unwilling to retain students for a PhD program is not uncommon, and it IS good for you to expand your horizons and go somewhere new!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, biotechie said:

I'm an example of a student that got into her top choice school after doing a research-based masters! Even without publications, your application will be stronger than many undergrads with pubs simply due to two years of full-time research experience as a MS student. It is a good time to prove to yourself that you want to do graduate school. It will also set you ahead of some of the other students in both lab and coursework.

Speaking of UIUC, my ug institution used to have a not-so-nice song they sang about them. Being unwilling to retain students for a PhD program is not uncommon, and it IS good for you to expand your horizons and go somewhere new!

yeah, that is why i wanted to do a research based masters. clearly defines my intention to gain more experience and make a stronger application for phd programs. i could also work at a lab but when i wanted to work as a lab tech here or back home, it seems nobody wanted someone who would just work for 1 year and reapply to phd programs. thats why i thought doing a masters would be good. and jumping into a phd degree right after completing your BS(no ms) is more of an american thing. i may also try my luck in renowned institutions in europe afterwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.