Jump to content

MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm no expert. I've talked about this a lot with my mentors. And I've attended and left a graduate program because my needs weren't being met. Ultimately it doesn't matter where you go to school. the

Lurker here just wanting to offer some perspective.  I am probably old enough to be a parent to most of you.  I come to the art world with a bachelor's, master's, and over two decades of work in other

YALEBOUND!! -MFA PAINTING

Posted Images

Congratulations to everyone on their momentum! (whether that is into a grad program or back into their work with a newfound vigor)

I got into UCLA's Design Media Arts last night. I am still fairly shocked. That program is the top tier in my field. I have to make a really immense decision very soon because I really truly loved Berkeley and they both have similar funding packages. The catch is Berkeley needs me to decide by the 25th (!) in order to secure their funding. I haven't even visited UCLA yet! Anyone have any advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

Congratulations to everyone on their momentum! (whether that is into a grad program or back into their work with a newfound vigor)

I got into UCLA's Design Media Arts last night. I am still fairly shocked. That program is the top tier in my field. I have to make a really immense decision very soon because I really truly loved Berkeley and they both have similar funding packages. The catch is Berkeley needs me to decide by the 25th (!) in order to secure their funding. I haven't even visited UCLA yet! Anyone have any advice?

Congratulations @mlarghydracept!! 

My strong suggestion is to make every effort to visit UCLA this week so you can make an informed decision. Good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stitcher said:

I also have not received any financial aid decision from SAIC.

Hi @stitcher - I would contact them about it. When I wrote them I found out that my FAFSA had been selected for review and that they would need additional documentation before they would send me my package. If I had not written it would take them another week to let me know and I would definitely miss the April 1st deadline to reply to my offer of admission.

 

@Relm and @nogo thanks for letting me know! I probably will be receiving the same package. Really undecided about taking out loans or waiting and applying another year. Only applied to two schools this year and got into SAIC... I have a family so I feel a bit undecided about the loans! I agree that sometimes it is a good call to do it anyway. Wish you the best of luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, grandguignol said:

damn, I just got into iu Bloomington with a really good offer, after I'd already decided I was reapplying to schools next year. feeling very indecisive!  

Congrats!!

Are you not interested in Bloomington anymore? Is that why you feel indecisive? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, grandguignol said:

damn, I just got into iu Bloomington with a really good offer, after I'd already decided I was reapplying to schools next year. feeling very indecisive!  

Congrats on acceptance! How did they notify you (email/ mail)? I have been unable to get into my account to check my status. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been accepted to two schools to date.  One school has offered me a funding package that about covers tuition, but it's in a city with a really high cost of living.  The other school says I have to accept their offer in order to apply for a TA position, but that I will most likely be funded.  The deadline for that school is rapidly nearing.  I think I should accept their offer, but if they don't give me any funding, then I may need to back out down the road.  What do people think about this strategy? I don't really want to back out of a commitment, but I'm a poor artist and need to accept the best (financial) offer I'm given.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yolandak said:

Hi @stitcher - I would contact them about it. When I wrote them I found out that my FAFSA had been selected for review and that they would need additional documentation before they would send me my package. If I had not written it would take them another week to let me know and I would definitely miss the April 1st deadline to reply to my offer of admission.

Yes, thanks, I have an inquiry in.  Mine may be held up because I already have an account as a prior degree BFA student (official status is "on leave")  Financial aid still has me listed as undergrad. They stated April 15th as my deadline for placing a deposit. May also be complicated by being accepted into a post bacc and MFA.  It'll get sorted out eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, junie said:

Nope, at this point I'm just waiting for my official rejection letter

I wouldn't think about it that way (unless you think you really bombed your interview).  Very competitive schools notify their first picks and prepare funding offers for them.  Only after those first people decline their offers does the school begin to extend offers of admission to additional students.  At this point we're basically on the wait list, even if they haven't formally told us so.  I think once the Yale, Bard and UCLA kids start receiving their funding offers, we'll see some spots open up at Columbia.

Out of curiosity, do we all still have MFA after our applications in slideroom? @trapnado @marg37 @scaredapplicant @photo @junie

Edited by oneagain
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mlarghydracept said:

Congratulations to everyone on their momentum! (whether that is into a grad program or back into their work with a newfound vigor)

I got into UCLA's Design Media Arts last night. I am still fairly shocked. That program is the top tier in my field. I have to make a really immense decision very soon because I really truly loved Berkeley and they both have similar funding packages. The catch is Berkeley needs me to decide by the 25th (!) in order to secure their funding. I haven't even visited UCLA yet! Anyone have any advice?

Legally schools are supposed to give you by April 15th to make a decision on funding offers. Do you have a letter from Berkeley saying you have to decide by the 25th? They should have a sent a letter with the funding package that declares April 15th as the legal date, all UC's as far as I know abide by these common laws.

I'll start this by saying I don't know a lot about tech-focused MFA programs, but living in Los Angeles I meet a lot of MFA students and my view of the Design Media Arts program is that a lot of students seem to have issues and negative experiences with it. I would strong urge you to try and visit, or at least contact current students and faculty and ask them tons of questions about the program and their experiences. Even from a few phone calls and emails, if that's all you an manage, you may learn enough to get a good sense of what you want.

Congrats and good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rmc said:

I've been accepted to two schools to date.  One school has offered me a funding package that about covers tuition, but it's in a city with a really high cost of living.  The other school says I have to accept their offer in order to apply for a TA position, but that I will most likely be funded.  The deadline for that school is rapidly nearing.  I think I should accept their offer, but if they don't give me any funding, then I may need to back out down the road.  What do people think about this strategy? I don't really want to back out of a commitment, but I'm a poor artist and need to accept the best (financial) offer I'm given.

Can you contact any students at the TA school and see how reliable the TA positions are? I would be weary of administration promising something like a TA position that doesn't come through. Even if you can't get a written confirmation about it but the general sense from current students is that they happen, it might settle you enough to feel good about committing. Does the other school with expensive cost of living offer on-campus housing? Depending on where it is, I would try to see what kind of affordable areas are nearby the campus that you would want to live in. Also, and perhaps you have already done this, you should definitely tell these two schools the contrasting offers you are getting, the full tuition award might convince the TA school to give you more guaranteed funding, and vice-versa. Always negotiate! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oneagain said:

I wouldn't think about it that way (unless you think you really bombed your interview).  Very competitive schools notify their first picks and prepare funding offers for them.  Only after those first people decline their offers does the school begin to extend offers of admission to additional students.  At this point we're basically on the wait list, even if they haven't formally told us so.  I think once the Yale, Bard and UCLA kids start receiving their funding offers, we'll see some spots open up at Columbia.

Out of curiosity, do we all still have MFA after our applications in slideroom? @trapnado @marg37 @scaredapplicant @photo @junie

I actually think I didn't do so hot on my interview, but what you said comforted me a bit, haha. I absolutely loved the program and faculty so it bums me out that I'll most likely be rejected, but at this point I've gotten over it and feel happy to even have gotten an interview. In any case working full steam on my work this year led me to some personal breakthroughs and progress in my art so I feel pretty optimistic about that.

And I just checked my slideroom, it says 2016 Painting MFA. Yours?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw about an hour ago a decision had been made on my Parsons application for painting. I had an interview and had my fingers crossed for that school, but it was a rejection. Kinda bummed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Amy Xu said:

Anyone hear back from RISD 2yr graphic design?

 

I've sent an email to them (admission office) couple of days ago and they said results will be noticed by next week.. but I'm guessing a rejection for me cause I didn't even have a chance to interview. Did you have an interview with them?

Edited by aimee
Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 17, 2016 at 4:33 PM, 2222222 said:

I interviewed at Hunter, but I found the process off-putting.  At other schools, the people who interviewed me were already familiar with my work, and had questions that pertained directly to what I am doing.  Being in front of people who were looking at my work for the first time (who also do not work with my discipline) felt more like a pitch.  Overall, I didn't find it very impressive.

Huh, I'm surprised to hear that. Was not really how I experienced it. I did think there would be faculty from the discipline I was applying in though (pretty sure I was told explicitly there would be one from my discipline and one from another). Anyway, I feel like the program is a really good one and I would get what I am looking for from it. Hope you find the right fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nogo said:

interesting. i really dig that saic is so on top of their game as far as administration goes. they had two online info sessions before apps were due and i went to an info day for my dept. (fvnma) yesterday and everyone knew my name and my work and they were excited to see me. i checked my vimeo and i can see that they viewed my work on slideroom before the info day to familiarize themselves with it. so i was stoked. it was really informal and friendly and i decided that im going to go, even though i havent received my other decision and i have to take out a boat load of loans. i dig the vibe there, especially for grad students. i can remember from my undergrad, they treat their grad students really, really well. each grad has to give a lunchtime lecture on their work that we as undergrads had the option of attending. very excited!

that's great! I'm happy it fits for you. I think it just depends on the department. I felt the Printmedia department was really nice, really great. But, I just don't think I'll get what I want from SAIC in general. And, of course, loans are a no go for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016年3月20日 at 9:23 AM, aimee said:

 

I've sent an email to them (admission office) couple of days ago and they said results will be noticed by next week.. but I'm guessing a rejection for me cause I didn't even have a chance to interview. Did you have an interview with them?

I didn’t have interview in RISD(2year graphic design),did you know anyone  get their interview chance?(2year program)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amy Xu said:

I didn’t have interview in RISD(2year graphic design),did you know anyone  get their interview chance?(2year program)

I heard from someone who participated in an interview day at RISD and he (or she) said there were people who applied for GD 2yr and 3yr.  So knowing this made me giving up on RISD :( A bunch of people already had interviews.. RISD hardly accepts students without interviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aimee said:

I heard from someone who participated in an interview day at RISD and he (or she) said there were people who applied for GD 2yr and 3yr.  So knowing this made me giving up on RISD :( A bunch of people already had interviews.. RISD hardly accepts students without interviews.

I know that Risd hardly accepts students without interviews ,and it’s so sad,in my country(china),most of applicants have no any message from RISD(including interview…)…maybe we will receive final letter around this week

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amy Xu said:

I know that Risd hardly accepts students without interviews ,and it’s so sad,in my country(china),most of applicants have no any message from RISD(including interview…)…maybe we will receive final letter around this week

 

RISD 2-year graphic design is the only program I haven't heard anything from. I also didn't get an interview there. At this point, I'm just curious to see what happens. I've already made the decision to go to VCU. My final results:

VCU: Accepted + full tuition coverage and grad. student assistantship stipend (Going here!)

Iowa: Accepted + full tuition waiver and stipend

MICA: Accepted with about 1/3 scholarship

NC State: Accepted, no word on funding 

Edinburgh College of Art (University of Edinburgh): Accepted (There are several decent scholarships for international students that you apply for after being accepted. Also, sticker price there comes in lower than private art schools in the US, and lower than out-of-state public tuition in some cases.) 

Yale: Rejected

RISD: Presumed rejection

Edited by mfahopeful
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.