Jump to content

MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!


Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, Barber said:

I have a question that's been plaguing me for a while now. Is getting my financially MFA worth it? I don't qualify for any type of need based aide (which is BS, cause SMFA doesn't seem to award need based grants, only merit, and I don't qualify for need based anything at Pratt), and while I don't have any other lingering debt, I would be getting out of any MFA program I end up at with 40k in student loans. 40k in debt not including housing for 2 years in two of the most expensive cities in the US seems like a lot to swallow. MFA scholarships also seem pretty scarce and monetarily minimal. So I guess the question I'm asking is how the hell I'm I gonna pay for this, short of becoming a stripper or selling a kidney? If there are any links or good sites anyone knows of it would be greatly appreciated! 

 

I went to SMFA for undergrad, and I honestly don't think the MFA program is worth it. It was a great BFA program, but in my 3rd and 4th year I was taking classes with mainly grad students, which I always thought was odd that the MFA students were in so many undergrad classes for the amount they were paying. Maybe if it was a funded program, but no, I don't think going in debt is worth it for any program today, even the more prestigious programs. Also, the facilities are tiny if you are working in sculpture. But of course, everyone's position is different. Of course this is probably terrible advice this far into the admission process, but there are plenty of fully funded or partially funded programs to apply for outside of the private school realm. This is my second year applying, my first year I really wanted to go to Yale and I even got an interview there, but after visiting I realized it wasn't the right fit for me. This year I focused on the UC system schools because of their funding and I really didn't want to leave California. In the end, I'm happy with my decision and won't be taking out (hopefully if any) loans and be able to enter life post-MFA without mountainous debt. This article was helpful for me in this process:

http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/989814/debating-an-mfa-the-lowdown-on-art-school-risks-and-returns

If you have more questions about SMFA, I'd be happy to answer here or you can PM me. I did really love my experience there, and it's probably changed a bit since I was there. It is a great MFA program, don't get me wrong, but if you are concerned about debt I don't know if it is worth it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm no expert. I've talked about this a lot with my mentors. And I've attended and left a graduate program because my needs weren't being met. Ultimately it doesn't matter where you go to school. the

Lurker here just wanting to offer some perspective.  I am probably old enough to be a parent to most of you.  I come to the art world with a bachelor's, master's, and over two decades of work in other

YALEBOUND!! -MFA PAINTING

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Wondu said:

Have you applied for MFA Graphic Design? I am waiting for RISD as well before I make my decision.

did you apply for the 2-year  program? and did you interview there? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016年3月15日 at 11:47 PM, aiaiai said:

did you meet anybody else during interview day that you are still in contact with? the two of us seem to be the only ones here who had an interview and I don't know if it's a good or a bad sign that we both didn't hear anything...

I also heard the thing about 'hearing back one or two days after the interview'...so I'm starting to get worried :/

Woo....I c. Did you also apply for any other schools? Which programme are you applying btw. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys,

I was waitlisted in one of the schools that I have applied. The decision came to me in form of a letter by mail. I am not from USA and I don't understand the system that well. Any advice on what should I do? Say thank you? What's the proper way to go around this? Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

uhhh so I guess I'm accepted to Hunter actually,
 I got another email this morning saying to check my application and the letter changed to a letter of acceptance. I called Sarah and she said there must have been some kind of error, the acceptance letter is the right one.

@oneagain I asked if all acceptance letters went out yesterday, she said she sent all accepted applicants to be confirmed by the Dean last Friday, and they sent acceptance notifications yesterday/might still be sending them. She also said all rejection notifications had already gone out last Monday, so if you didn't hear anything I feel like you most likely got in!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, junie said:

uhhh so I guess I'm accepted to Hunter actually,
 I got another email this morning saying to check my application and the letter changed to a letter of acceptance. I called Sarah and she said there must have been some kind of error, the acceptance letter is the right one.

@oneagain I asked if all acceptance letters went out yesterday, she said she sent all accepted applicants to be confirmed by the Dean last Friday, and they sent acceptance notifications yesterday/might still be sending them. She also said all rejection notifications had already gone out last Monday, so if you didn't hear anything I feel like you most likely got in!

Congrats!

I have to say that I find this so funny.  This, on top of the many email mistakes, obvious typos in their official correspondence and strange administrative practices.  If I hadn't met Sarah myself, I'd assume that their admissions department was being run by a shoebox of psychotic hamsters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 2222222 said:

Congrats!

I have to say that I find this so funny.  This, on top of the many email mistakes, obvious typos in their official correspondence and strange administrative practices.  If I hadn't met Sarah myself, I'd assume that their admissions department was being run by a shoebox of psychotic hamsters.

Thanks!

What's some of their strange administrative practices? I know I never got this 'thank you email' that they supposedly sent out to their interviewees, but other than that I haven't really come across anything weird aside from what just happened. I feel like what just happened to me was really unprofessional and it makes me more wary of the program. Also, I didn't get the greatest impression of Sarah when I was there, I mean she seemed nice enough but...I don't know. I might still end up accepting their offer though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey you guys, I really want to know what you guys would advise in a situation where the funding I'm offered is really good but is not full, and your savings can't cover the rest. Is it worth taking a loan? Or would you wait and apply to more programs another year? Any opinions would be helpful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, looingk said:

Hey you guys, I really want to know what you guys would advise in a situation where the funding I'm offered is really good but is not full, and your savings can't cover the rest. Is it worth taking a loan? Or would you wait and apply to more programs another year? Any opinions would be helpful!

I just turned down uw because it wouldnt be enough money to live in seattle without another job or 30,000 in loans.  But if its the only program you got into then it might be worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard from Hunter yet but they made it a point to tell me at the end of my interview that the longer I go without hearing from them the better.  She said first they notify the rejected, then they notify most of the acceptances while they still figure out some kind of possible awards or something, then they'll notify the rest as soon as they know who is getting what.  I really didn't think they offered much financial assistance given that the tuition is so low but it seems that maybe they do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alment said:

I haven't heard from Hunter yet but they made it a point to tell me at the end of my interview that the longer I go without hearing from them the better.  She said first they notify the rejected, then they notify most of the acceptances while they still figure out some kind of possible awards or something, then they'll notify the rest as soon as they know who is getting what.  I really didn't think they offered much financial assistance given that the tuition is so low but it seems that maybe they do?

That's good to know!  I've not heard of anyone being waitlisted at Hunter so I wonder how that works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2016 at 8:46 PM, icw said:

That is excellent! do you think you will attend? I am glad to hear your Bard interview went well-Fingerscrossed. 

Just got the word from ICP-Bard. I got in!

Most likely going to the international center for photography over PSU.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, oneagain said:

That's good to know!  I've not heard of anyone being waitlisted at Hunter so I wonder how that works.

I was actually emailed today from them notifying me that I received "an offer for their Spring 2017 waitlist". I could only roll my eyes, as my experience with them through the interview process has been consistently impersonal and has left me with the impression that they are dilusional about the "prestige" of their program. I probably won't even dignify this email with a response as I have been offered funding (and FALL admission) to higher ranked programs that actually seem interested in my work and don't view me as a piece of meat in their MFA factory. This has just been my personal experience with them, but from what I read on this board it seems like I wasn't the only one that walked out of the interview with a sour taste. Maybe it's time they rethink their approach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bb123 said:

I was actually emailed today from them notifying me that I received "an offer for their Spring 2017 waitlist". I could only roll my eyes, as my experience with them through the interview process has been consistently impersonal and has left me with the impression that they are dilusional about the "prestige" of their program. I probably won't even dignify this email with a response as I have been offered funding (and FALL admission) to higher ranked programs that actually seem interested in my work and don't view me as a piece of meat in their MFA factory. This has just been my personal experience with them, but from what I read on this board it seems like I wasn't the only one that walked out of the interview with a sour taste. Maybe it's time they rethink their approach. 

I just got the email too and feel the same way.  I just can't see myself going there, and really don't understand the appeal of the program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cameramosnter300 said:

Just got the word from ICP-Bard. I got in!

Most likely going to the international center for photography over PSU.

 

 

that is great new! I am very happy for you! best of luck to you and your work! I am sure you will do great things! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, icw said:

I just interviewed with SIUC-very awkward phone interview. The interviewer was very uncomfortable to talk to.  dismissive almost chastising. He seemed mad that I was unable to fly for an in person visit. I just don't have 800 bucks to drop on something like that. 

 

Has anyone else had an experience like this? 

Sorry that your interview was so uncomfortable-- that's really unfortunate. I have an in-person interview with them tomorrow, so do you mind if I ask what sorts of things they asked you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thranduil said:

Sorry that your interview was so uncomfortable-- that's really unfortunate. I have an in-person interview with them tomorrow, so do you mind if I ask what sorts of things they asked you?

They asked me about teaching and my experiences. (I have 3 years working with k-12) They asked me about why I chose SIU, what i knew about their undergrad programs. Why I chose the mfa painting area. Very short 11 minute interview.

 

.I was surprised the interviewer didn't ask me more about my work and ideas  don't associate my interview with what your experience will be like. I dont think my  interviewer reflects the rest of the SIU mfa faculty.Or the interviewer's personal character. I am sure they are great people. 

    On the plus side the funding is excellent. I think the program is great. I just had a bad interview experience/corespondence experience. You should do fine

Edited by icw
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stefanie Xue Bai said:

ASU (industrial design) Vs. Parsons (industrial design) Vs. Art Center (environmental design)

Which one would you choose?

I need some advice to make a decision..

Were you at the ASU admit day yesterday?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, icw said:

They asked me about teaching and my experiences. (I have 3 years working with k-12) They asked me about why I chose SIU.I was surprised the interviewer didn't ask me more about my work and ideas  don't associate my interview with what your experience will be like. I dont think my  interviewer reflects the rest of the SIU mfa faculty.Or the interviewer's personal character. I am sure they are great people. 

    On the plus side the funding is excellent. I think the program is great. I just had a bad interview experience/corespondence experience. You should do fine

Oh okay, well thank you for the information! I also have two years of high school teaching experience, so it's nice to know that they might be asking about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Thranduil said:

Oh okay, well thank you for the information! I also have two years of high school teaching experience, so it's nice to know that they might be asking about that.

great! best of luck to you my friend. you are going to crush that interview!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.