NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

1 hour ago, Micecroscopy said:

Also, in case people aren't aware, they're changing the eligibility requirements for future years so that you can only apply once during graduate school: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16051/nsf16051.jsp?WT.mc_id=USNSF_179

This doesn't apply to first year graduate students that applied this year, but it does apply to undergraduate seniors that applied.

The first time I read it (just a glance) I thought it said that you could only apply once, and that you must be a graduate student... I'm so stupid :P

Also, reading that link that @Micecroscopy posted is so depressing... I feel like my chances would've been much higher if I could've said then that I was going to Cornell :(

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

The first time I read it (just a glance) I thought it said that you could only apply once, and that you must be a graduate student... I'm so stupid :P

Also, reading that link that @Micecroscopy posted is so depressing... I feel like my chances would've been much higher if I could've said then that I was going to Cornell :(

Well, you'll still be able to apply next year as a first-year at Cornell! Or you can apply the year after, you now just can't apply both years.

Ugh, I just got rejected from something else I applied for (non-academic, but still, I really wanted it) that I was waiting to hear about and am really bummed. Like most of you I just want all the waiting to finally be over ): 

2 hours ago, sierra918 said:

I think I've checked the NSF website for that "maintenance" notice at least 10 times today. You'd think I'd have more important things to do (like work, my kids, my husband, anything really) ?

Instead of checking the NSF website, I usually go straight here! :P  I figure I'll find out just as quickly that way, since someone's sure to post it when they see it.

12 minutes ago, Robin Goodfellow said:

Instead of checking the NSF website, I usually go straight here! :P  I figure I'll find out just as quickly that way, since someone's sure to post it when they see it.

But what if we all had that attitude, and finally sometime in May someone realizes that no one was actually checking?! :P

I kid. But I do have the same attitude. I don't even remember my login.

6 minutes ago, Vader Was Framed said:

Patience, young padawans. It will be next week. Visit threads from past years, and you will find that some nerd always posts the maintenance update. 

Haha you're right. I'm probably going to be said nerd at this rate ?

Hi @kafcat! I am! I like to think the Ford will be announcing any day now.  They definitely say in their solicitation that it will be in March. The NSF though could be in April...

First year grad students - any chance the change in NSF GRFP eligibility might work out in our favor next year? Since there will be a smaller pool of students applying (fewer first years)? Probably just wishful thinking, because I'm pretty sure I've heard that they evaluate applicants only within the same year group. 

On 3/22/2016 at 5:53 PM, shim12 said:

Why does it export as a .do file?! How do you open that?

The link just opens into a website for me..?

Not sure why it'd try to download. :wacko:

16 minutes ago, commodork said:

First year grad students - any chance the change in NSF GRFP eligibility might work out in our favor next year? Since there will be a smaller pool of students applying (fewer first years)? Probably just wishful thinking, because I'm pretty sure I've heard that they evaluate applicants only within the same year group. 

I was thinking about that yesterday; it seems like it should have some effect. Although, being in the first year of the new eligibility rules, I think it depends on if people are going to be encouraged to apply during their first or second year. 

That being said, I will never pretend to understand the NSF haha

16 hours ago, kafcat said:

Anyone else simultaneously waiting on the Ford/NSF? D: Wonder which one will release their results first...

I am! Fingers crossed, good luck everyone!! ^_^

Someone on a reddit thread mentioned their application status on Fastlane was changed to reviewed. I didn't realize the status changes, as mine is still "received." Has anyone else's status changed?

4 minutes ago, jer said:

Someone on a reddit thread mentioned their application status on Fastlane was changed to reviewed. I didn't realize the status changes, as mine is still "received." Has anyone else's status changed?

Mine still says received as well.

5 minutes ago, jer said:

Mine is still received.