NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Coop F5. Founder's, eh? That stuff is generally pretty expensive, isn't it? 

It is sort of, but I figured I might as well splurge given the occasion. I'll have to try the Coop, that sounds right up my alley. 

I actually visited the Founder's brewery a few weeks ago and tried their Kentucky Breakfast Stout, which was actually trancendental. It's super hard to track down, but I really recommend it.  

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I think I'm just going to go to bed soon... totally not setting an alarm, though. My thought is that if I wake up when I'm normally supposed to wake up, it'll be an easy wake-up because I'll be so eager to check the results. 

Yeah, I think I'm just going to get up at my normal time and check then. I like sleep too much.

Just now, Eilrymist said:

Oh my god guys. I forgot about GRFP but somehow it hit me today. Are the results actually coming out tomorrow?!??! I wish I had forgotten about it until tomorrow :( Time to be disappointed but pretend I'm not

Yup! I think that's what most of us will do. :D 

Oh my god guys. I forgot about GRFP but somehow it hit me today. Are the results actually coming out tomorrow?!??! I wish I had forgotten about it until tomorrow :( Time to be disappointed but pretend I'm not

Don't give up hope just yet! Someone has to get awarded, after all!

3 minutes ago, sierra918 said:

Don't give up hope just yet! Someone has to get awarded, after all!

Yeah no. Just reread the application lol. I'm a senior undergrad and was told to apply like, 3 weeks before the deadline haha. It was a rough application 

1 minute ago, commodork said:

It is sort of, but I figured I might as well splurge given the occasion. I'll have to try the Coop, that sounds right up my alley. 

I actually visited the Founder's brewery a few weeks ago and tried their Kentucky Breakfast Stout, which was actually trancendental. It's super hard to track down, but I really recommend it.  

I really want to try to their nitro oatmeal stout if I can find some. Oatmeal beer has grown on me last year or so. I love this stuff.

http://tallgrassbeer.com/vanilla-bean-buffalo-sweat/?age-verified=8df86bca67

2 minutes ago, mylifeinshambles said:

This thread is moving too fast but how do you all know the results are coming out tomorrow? What time?? I anticipate not getting it though. :'( And now with the new rule, I can only try 1 more time. 

That bummed me out too :( How did we end up with the year that only gets one more shot? 

Yeah no. Just reread the application lol. I'm a senior undergrad and was told to apply like, 3 weeks before the deadline haha. It was a rough application 

Best of luck to you anyway!!

3 minutes ago, mylifeinshambles said:

This thread is moving too fast but how do you all know the results are coming out tomorrow? What time?? I anticipate not getting it though. :'( And now with the new rule, I can only try 1 more time. 

The site always goes down for maintenance around 11PM EST the night before results are posted. It's 11PM EST and the site just went down (and the maintenance notification came out earlier today, or yesterday). ANd it's always on a Tuesday or Friday.

Just now, mylifeinshambles said:

We are pretty sure the results are coming out tomorrow based on trends from previous years. In particular, announcements occur at the end of March/early April the day after a random "maintenance" notice appears on Fastlane. The notice showed up this morning. Furthermore, the previous 9 years' announcements have occurred on a Tuesday or Friday.

As for what time, who knows. Probably early morning, 6am ET at the latest.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I really want to try to their nitro oatmeal stout if I can find some. Oatmeal beer has grown on me last year or so. I love this stuff.

http://tallgrassbeer.com/vanilla-bean-buffalo-sweat/?age-verified=8df86bca67

It's AMAZING. I tried that one too. It's very very worth tracking down. I'm a sucker for anything oatmeal or nitro, though, so it pushed all my buttons. 

1 minute ago, pasteltomato said:

We are pretty sure the results are coming out tomorrow based on trends from previous years. In particular, announcements occur at the end of March/early April the day after a random "maintenance" notice appears on Fastlane. The notice showed up this morning. Furthermore, the previous 9 years' announcements have occurred on a Tuesday or Friday.

As for what time, who knows. Probably early morning, 6am ET at the latest.

Ugh, well I guess I'll have to wake up to bad news.  

1 hour ago, mobilehobo said:

I mean, there is no requirement for the headers. It's helpful though if you get a lazy reviewer who will only skim your application. Same with bolding things, using buzzwords. It's literally, 'Hey! If you're not going to read everything, read THIS at least!'.

It actually did ask for separate heading:

"Therefore, applicants must include separate statements on Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts in their written statements in order to provide reviewers with the information necessary to evaluate the application with respect to both Criteria as detailed belowApplicants should include headings for Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts in their statements."  

I pulled this quote from part VI of the solicitation. I also did not do headings :/ I'm hoping that it won't hurt me too much because it seems like a lot of people did not do them and it is a newer requirement. We shall see soon...

1 minute ago, kjc said:

"Therefore, applicants must include separate statements on Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts in their written statements in order to provide reviewers with the information necessary to evaluate the application with respect to both Criteria as detailed belowApplicants should include headings for Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts in their statements."  

I pulled this quote from part VI of the solicitation. I also did not do headings :/ I'm hoping that it won't hurt me too much because it seems like a lot of people did not do them and it is a newer requirement. We shall see soon...

I just found my password... instead of entering data, I'm now fighting my night owl tendencies and wanting to know with the fact I have to be at one of our off campus testing sites at 8am EST (so get up at around 6am)... 6am feels like such a late window.

I would have forgotten about this except another one of our second years mentioned it after a seminar this morning...

Can I just know now? I'd just like to get the time I want to drink when I (more than likely) don't win...

At least I have one more year!

Edited by FantasticalDevPsych

12 minutes ago, kjc said:

And of course Fastlane is down so I can't even check to see if I did that. I know I had separate headings for my application last year, but I vaguely remember my advisor telling me to not do that while he was reviewing my application this year...:blink:

Edit: found that email thread about the separate headings. One advisor told me to not do that, and my other advisor told me to add it back in. Thank god I listened to advisor #2.

Edited by utb040713

1 minute ago, utb040713 said:

And of course Fastlane is down so I can't even check to see if I did that. I know I had separate headings for my application last year, but I vaguely remember my advisor telling me to not do that while he was reviewing my application this year...:blink:

Yeah I had them at first, but then a prof and another student told me I didn't need them. I took them out cuz they seemed clunky and after a quick skim of the solicitation I didn't see it as a requirement... like two days after I submitted I looked again and found that sentence. Sigh....

I just happen to have one of mine open so I can turn my proposed research (now my first year project) into the introduction for that project write up... (I'm a glutton for punishment it seems) I have separate headings in both (my advisor won in grad school) but in my research plan don't have a specific one called Intellectual Merit (I addressed similar in a Relation to Previous Research), though I do have one for Broader Impacts... 

I don't have either in the personal statement...

I'm not sure what they will do with me... Lol

Edited by FantasticalDevPsych

1 minute ago, PatJS said:

I attend MSU :) Geoscience Ed!

Very cool! I'm actually presenting a geoscience ed talk at SEGSA on Friday. I'm so glad that we'll have the results for this before that presentation, I just knew that I would find out the morning of and be so out of it!