NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

1 minute ago, StemQueries said:

Very cool! I'm actually presenting a geoscience ed talk at SEGSA on Friday. I'm so glad that we'll have the results for this before that presentation, I just knew that I would find out the morning of and be so out of it! 

Awesome! Good luck on the GRFP AND your presentation! Fingers crossed!!! 

3 minutes ago, StemQueries said:

Very cool! I'm actually presenting a geoscience ed talk at SEGSA on Friday. I'm so glad that we'll have the results for this before that presentation, I just knew that I would find out the morning of and be so out of it! 

Yeah, I'm presenting at a university-wide conference this Saturday. I've done the presentation before, but it's still nerve-wracking.

57 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Are you going to wake up at a normal hour, or try and set an alarm?

Waking up at a normal hour... if I set an alarm, check it, and go back to sleep its gonna be like a weird dream (probably nightmare).

2 minutes ago, chaparral said:

Waking up at a normal hour... if I set an alarm, check it, and go back to sleep its gonna be like a weird dream (probably nightmare).

Yeah that's the worst...let's just sleep (those of us who can) and in the morning see what's up. 

14 minutes ago, FantasticalDevPsych said:

I just happen to have one of mine open so I can turn my proposed research (now my first year project) into the introduction for that project write up... (I'm a glutton for punishment it seems) I have separate headings in both (my advisor won in grad school) but in my research plan don't have a specific one called Intellectual Merit (I addressed similar in a Relation to Previous Research), though I do have one for Broader Impacts... 

I don't have either in the personal statement...

I'm not sure what they will do with me... Lol

I feel like the whole point of your research statement IS intellectual merit. We read the bit about separate headings, but my advisor told me not to put "intellectual merit" in my research statement because he felt the whole thing (prior to the "broader impacts" heading) counted as intellectual merit.

Having said that, I would feel a lot better right now if I'd put that heading in... darn.

Just now, chaparral said:

My new plan is to set a silent 3am Fitbit alarm. Apparently my partner doesn't relish the idea of being woken up early on a work night so I can check for an email. I just hope I can actually get to sleep and stay asleep without grinding my teeth into nothingness. 

6 minutes ago, TongueSten said:

Star-Trek.gif

Mood^

I just want to know!!!!

I would give this a thumbs up but I have exhausted by thumbs up for the day (can only like 5 things)...isn't it from Star Trek? 

9 minutes ago, chaparral said:

I feel like the whole point of your research statement IS intellectual merit. We read the bit about separate headings, but my advisor told me not to put "intellectual merit" in my research statement because he felt the whole thing (prior to the "broader impacts" heading) counted as intellectual merit.

Having said that, I would feel a lot better right now if I'd put that heading in... darn.

That's the approach we used too... I agree, I'd feel better if I had that heading in there now too

Good luck everyone. I am applying under the 'two years of interruption' since obtaining M.S., and have never come across someone receiving an award under that loophole. We shall see in six hours!

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Are you going to wake up at a normal hour, or try and set an alarm?

Wake up at a normal hour... which just happens to be 6am eastern due to the fact I have to be somewhere for research at 8am... (I'm a night owl though so it's going to be harder to go to bed)

After talking to people and my own reasoning, I decided to use an intellectual merit heading as how I could improve on this research by what I would take in grad school and other stuff instead of what will I have done or what the research says.

1 minute ago, uku said:

Good luck everyone. I am applying under the 'two years of interruption' since obtaining M.S., and have never come across someone receiving an award under that loophole. We shall see in six hours!

I wish you the best! 

Just now, otherss said:

After talking to people and my own reasoning, I decided to use an intellectual merit heading as how I could improve on this research by what I would take in grad school and other stuff instead of what will I have done or what the research says.

Good thinking, I have a relation to previous research heading that probably addresses similar concerns but just isn't called that...

7 minutes ago, kafcat said:

I would give this a thumbs up but I have exhausted by thumbs up for the day (can only like 5 things)...isn't it from Star Trek? 

Yep, The Next Generation.

5 minutes ago, uku said:

Last year, 2 people in my field got it that way. I'm also applying under the same loophole. I think there are just fewer of us applying. Good luck!!

1 minute ago, otherss said:

My approach after realizing they would expect an IM heading, yet the entire proposal probably couldn't just be one large IM section:

My background info for the proposal and its details/methods/objectives were explained and I used an intellectual merit section to describe the importance of the results, how it would advance the research on the topic, how it would integrate multiple fields, and what important theoretical and fundamental questions were being asked. Also how my particular background and skillset would be applicable to the problem, and how it was a rigorous, cutting edge project that would expand my skillset as a platform for a career in the field. 

At least that is what I told the reviewers.

4 minutes ago, sierra918 said:

Last year, 2 people in my field got it that way. I'm also applying under the same loophole. I think there are just fewer of us applying. Good luck!!

Oh cool I am glad I posted. I wonder how we are compared to other 1st and 2nd yr grad students given there could have been a bit of extra time to get some publications etc out.

One area I am sort of concerned is where we were asked to explain the circumstances - I didn't go into much detail, I am not sure if they are expecting a thorough discussion of why there was a gap. I did use the opportunity though to discuss why the gap was a positive and allowed me to get some solid BI type work started. Good luck to you too!

Just now, uku said:

Oh cool I am glad I posted. I wonder how we are compared to other 1st and 2nd yr grad students given there could have been a bit of extra time to get some publications etc out.

One area I am sort of concerned is where we were asked to explain the circumstances - I didn't go into much detail, I am not sure if they are expecting a thorough discussion of why there was a gap. I did use the opportunity though to discuss why the gap was a positive and allowed me to get some solid BI type work started. Good luck to you too!

We aren't. We are only judged against other applicants applying under the loophole in our field ?

They didn't give much space to explain it, did they? I used a short paragraph, so hopefully that sufficed.

Thank you ?