NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

Good luck to all the applicants this year!  And for those about to win the prize, remember that it's not about whether you win the award or not, it's about what you do once you do win the award.  The GRFP won't help you get through those times when your project seems impossible and you feel like an idiot, and nobody will care that you have the GRFP if you don't develop your scientific intuition in grad school.  It's not even the most prestigious grad school fellowship/the application wasn't actually THAT much work.  Enjoy it though, and welcome to the club! 

P.S.  There isn't actually a club.  You will get access to supercomputers though.  

Edited by atcg

So I took a look at last year, and they announced the "pre" maintenance in the same message as the results maintenance. So maybe things have changed this year and they're just taking an extra three hours now to get the system all completed and will announce at 6 AM ET today?

I got it also! 1st year grad student, 3.4 UG GPA, no publications, but a lot of UG research. Good amount of outreach experience.

E/VG,E/E,E/E.

All positive reviews. I highlighted the adversities I faced (grew up dirt poor, took care of family through UG..) and how I've overcome them, and related it to the outreach I did. They all spoke to that in the comments.

Edited by mobilehobo

VG/E E/E E/E, HM. The one negative from the VG was that there were weak applications for the research (though the other two reviewers actually thought that was a strong point??). They all said I had extremely strong letters of recommendation, though. Definitely disappointed, but selfishly so; basically all my friends who applied got it, and it wouldn't make a difference since I'd take the CSGF anyway. It also seems crazy to have generally incredibly positive reviews and not get it (but I know this is where the z-scores from reviewers come in).

Edited by pterosaur

The incoming email ding woke me up so I didn't have to wait long to find out - I received it as well! 

I've checked three times already to make sure I didn't misread the email and that I'm actually on the award list, and I'm sure it'll be around twenty times by the end of the day....

I didn't get it, but wow the reviewers said some really nice things like, " ...the candidate's intellectual merit even as an undergraduate already compares competitively to the upper quarter of 2nd year graduate students; and his broad impacts are notable. ", which makes it slightly confusing why I didn't get it.

I didn't get it - 'two year interuption since M.S.' group - not recommended. E/E, VG/VG, F/G. I think it would easier to swallow if it wasn't for the huge range in reviewer scores! That is were the Z score are supposed to come in though I suppose.

still hard to reconcile almost every review and every category! e.g. " The hypotheses are well thought out (interesting in the case of positive or negative results) and formulated," & "research plan not hypothesis driven"

good luck to everyone yet to check!

Edited by uku

Honorable Mention.

Incoming graduate student. Life Sciences division.

Must be a really competitive cycle as I had no negative comments.  E/E, VG/E, VG/E.

Congratulations to everyone that got it!
Apparently starting the next cycle, you can only apply to the NSF GRFP once, so luckily the HMs are grandfathered in. So there's still next year!

I didn't even set an alarm or anything but woke up randomly a couple minutes ago, ha! 

No award, got HM. VG/VG, VG/E. (Not sure why I didn't get more than two reviews -- anyone know how this is decided?) 

I was really annoyed at first, largely since I think the comments are so dumb and unhelpful -- 2/3 of my VG ratings had only seemingly really positive comments ("X Y Z is really great!") and no apparent downsides. But after just a couple of minutes, I'm pretty over it. Gotta roll with the punches, right? And anyway, I definitely met people here who deserve it more and will benefit more. 

Congrats to all who got it. (:

7 minutes ago, sqxz said:

I can hardly believe it, but I got it! I don't know how I'm going to sleep now...

Congrats sqxz!!! I remember you from the bio forums during my application cycle :D:D I'm so glad this worked out for you.

Does anyone know if our schools/PIs are informed that we won the award? I remember entering my program director's email address in the application but I don't know if NSF will email them directly. 

Just now, pasteltomato said:

Does anyone know if our schools/PIs are informed that we won the award? I remember entering my program director's email address in the application but I don't know if NSF will email them directly. 

I don't know, but if I got it, I was going to forward the email to my advisor myself with a happy gif at the top :P You should defniitely let them know!! 

1 minute ago, pasteltomato said:

No idea - I put a school that I'm not going to be going to...