Fall 2016 Applicants: Introduce Yourselves

jjb919

6 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Hi! ^_^ I'm a logic major, and one of my big interests is philosophy of math. I keep going back and forth as to whether the admissions people will receive my application well. I have letters of recommendations from people they probably know, but I have a lower GPA because the math department really did a number on my GPA before I was used to college mathematics. (I went to a very literature/history/classical education heavy high school, and they weren't big on math or science.) I'm taking an independent study on math logic right now, and I'm supposed to find out everything I can about hyperoperations. They're SO COOL. Did you apply to Berkeley LMS? 

I sadly didn't apply to Berkeley LMS. I have applied to Carnegie though since I have experience with doing Game Theory and currently studying Category Theory. I come from a very small school. Literally, I have three Philosophy professors at my University. College math can get hard after Linear Algebra for most Math majors because now you are proving everything you are doing. I know I got a couple of B's here in there in my advanced courses and I didn't start to take academia seriously until my last two years. I am proud of you doing Logic. Keep doing you!

1 minute ago, brando84back said:

I sadly didn't apply to Berkeley LMS. I have applied to Carnegie though since I have experience with doing Game Theory and currently studying Category Theory. I come from a very small school. Literally, I have three Philosophy professors at my University. College math can get hard after Linear Algebra for most Math majors because now you are proving everything you are doing. I know I got a couple of B's here in there in my advanced courses and I didn't start to take academia seriously until my last two years. I am proud of you doing Logic. Keep doing you!

I applied to Carnegie! (Also Tufts, UMich, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford.) I didn't know how amazing our philosophy department was until last yearish when I was researching schools and whatnot. I actually found math classes where you prove things were wayyyyy easier than the things before it, since I was put in the math track where they don't think you're really capable of being a mathematician. (They really prize their bright students in the honors program, and notsomuch the others... Though talking to the people who have to teach them, I guess there are a lot of very entitled students taking these courses and it makes them less sympathetic to students who really want to learn.) Accordingly, I sort of stumbled around the math department until I took a proofy linear algebra class and found it was something I was good at. (Proofs, specifically. Which is why I like logic.)