Jump to content
SAL33

Fall 2016 School Psychology

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, westy3789 said:

Interviews last week at 2 programs, accepted to another, 5 to hear back from yet. The program I was accepted into is my very last choice and they didn't have interviews, so I'm really hoping I get in one of the others. The way it seems to work is programs will send out a group of acceptances to their top applicants within a few weeks of the interviews - so if they have a cohort of 10 they will send out 10 acceptances. Then if people decide to not go they will send out more acceptances. So if you are on a waitlist you won't hear about it for a month after the interview because they have to wait to hear back from their core group first. That's how you can tell if things are looking up or down, if you don't hear back from a program a week after they finish all their interviews you'll know you aren't in their top choices. But schools that have interviews and haven't gotten a hold of you, you can't really tell if they are or aren't interested bc you don't know when they send out invites. I've thought it through! Sorry I overthink things ha.

glad you were accepted atleast to the one school, better than nothing! and I hope the best for you for the other schools as well. I am not a psych major and know that me being accepted will be an extreme challenge, and I honestly will be VERY happy with an interview. Everyone else let us know if you hear back from any universities regarding interviews/acceptances for the specialist degree! I will post here as soon as I hear anything from the six schools I applied to. :):):) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Does anyone know where I could go to find more information about the programs themselves besides the school page? I feel like If i were to be accepted somewhere, I'd have a hard time comparing and contrasting the two+ locations for decision to attend.  I know that locations and proximity to home will be a huge factor for me but I would rather go to a school with a great program and pay more than go to a mediocre program and pay somewhat less.  I have applied to temple, northeastern, umass boston, william james (MSPP), william and mary, and jmu.  I know most of the schools have a ranking on the usnews psychology website but how much does ranking tell you about the program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ohhappyday said:

Also, Does anyone know where I could go to find more information about the programs themselves besides the school page? I feel like If i were to be accepted somewhere, I'd have a hard time comparing and contrasting the two+ locations for decision to attend.  I know that locations and proximity to home will be a huge factor for me but I would rather go to a school with a great program and pay more than go to a mediocre program and pay somewhat less.  I have applied to temple, northeastern, umass boston, william james (MSPP), william and mary, and jmu.  I know most of the schools have a ranking on the usnews psychology website but how much does ranking tell you about the program?

I think what is most important to look at, at least in school psychology masters/eds programs, is not how prestigious the university is (because school psychologists are in such high demand that the "name" isn't nearly as important as it would be for, say, a PhD for sociology, philosophy, or physics), but one of 4 things, in order of their priority in my opinion: (1) does the program offer BOTH the masters and educational specialist degrees (2) cost - how does the program compare to the cost of other programs (3) does the program have high internship/employment placement rates? (4) is the program a good fit for you...and then other things, like what GA opportunities might there be for 1st/2nd year students, how does the cost of living compare to other areas, etc... We are trying to go to a program not so much to conduct research, like a phd student of school psychology may, but to earn the necessary credentials to practice school psychology in the public education system. That is the end goal and after considering the qualities mentioned above, should help figuring out which program to attend. I see people applying to all these big time universities to get their masters/eds degrees, but for what reason? Simply to be able to say I went to X program? I mean the program philosophy is not going to be differentiated enough from a big name school to make that the reason. Just my .02  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, westy3789 said:

I think what is most important to look at, at least in school psychology masters/eds programs, is not how prestigious the university is (because school psychologists are in such high demand that the "name" isn't nearly as important as it would be for, say, a PhD for sociology, philosophy, or physics), but one of 4 things, in order of their priority in my opinion: (1) does the program offer BOTH the masters and educational specialist degrees (2) cost - how does the program compare to the cost of other programs (3) does the program have high internship/employment placement rates? (4) is the program a good fit for you...and then other things, like what GA opportunities might there be for 1st/2nd year students, how does the cost of living compare to other areas, etc... We are trying to go to a program not so much to conduct research, like a phd student of school psychology may, but to earn the necessary credentials to practice school psychology in the public education system. That is the end goal and after considering the qualities mentioned above, should help figuring out which program to attend. I see people applying to all these big time universities to get their masters/eds degrees, but for what reason? Simply to be able to say I went to X program? I mean the program philosophy is not going to be differentiated enough from a big name school to make that the reason. Just my .02  

Thanks westy3789, your reply really helped me and guided me to the right direction. Do you think the case would be the same for someone who'd like to go into a phD program a couple years after working in the school system or even directly after graduate studies?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arghh. I just had an interview right now, and it was horrible. I was completely awkward and more airhead-y than usual due to how much I like the program (I get really flustered and it's so sad) and I just blew it. Of course, I'm also very hard on myself and doubt my abilities (hence the whole applying to 16 colleges deal) so maybe it didn't go as bad as I imagined it to be? Either way, it was a fiasco and I'm super sad. At least this was a learning moment for me, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I could help. The way you phrased this question implied perhaps a few misunderstandings. There are certain benefits in going the PhD route, like being able to have a private practice under the supervision of a clinical psychologist (although in certain states you are allowed to do that with the EdS degree, Wisconsin is one), be eligible to work in a hospital setting, be eligible to teach in a university, or have more qualifications/research experience that may help with future job prospects (although many school districts max their school psychologists out at MA + 30, so you wouldn't be paid anymore).

I personally am not taking that route because being 27 years old I don't want to have to go through the extra years of schooling before work and I am only interested in practicing school psychology in schools. However if I were to decide to go to a PhD program, what I would do is finish an entire program before working. I'm actually pretty sure many programs would require that if they were to give you the PhD. I know many programs accept students who already have a master's degree and then they are put on a "fast track" to earning the EdS degree, but I haven't heard of any PhD programs that accept students who already have their EdS wanting to come back for the PhD, without requiring them to retake EdS courses. Perhaps if you were awarded an EdS from a specific program that also happened to have a PhD program, they would allow you to come back after working a few years to that program for the PhD without requiring you to retake credits. Many programs require continuous enrollment through the entirety of the program however, so would not allow for that option. 

I may be wrong about that because I haven't done much research into the PhD since it doesn't apply to me, but I believe that's how it works. The thing is though, it would be a little silly to do it that way considering you can receive funding for the PhD programs, but have to pay for the Masters/EdS programs, so you wouldn't be as efficiently spending your money. Of course sometimes people change career interests, but I would suggest taking the time now to really figure out a sense of direction, so as to not get yourself in such a predicament.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kingslayer said:

Arghh. I just had an interview right now, and it was horrible. I was completely awkward and more airhead-y than usual due to how much I like the program (I get really flustered and it's so sad) and I just blew it. Of course, I'm also very hard on myself and doubt my abilities (hence the whole applying to 16 colleges deal) so maybe it didn't go as bad as I imagined it to be? Either way, it was a fiasco and I'm super sad. At least this was a learning moment for me, though.

I think a lot of the time people are harder on themselves than what's deserved. Interviews have definitely been the hardest part of the application process for me though. Getting a 155Q/157V/5aw gre and 710 subject gre score while working 2 full time jobs? Totally fine. Having to answer 5 questions for 15 minutes from a professor? Not so easy. I think I'm most afraid of coming off a certain way, not having enough time to show my strengths, and feeling rushed, which makes it much more difficult than any part of the application process thus far. Like the last interview I had at a really competitive program that accepted 12/65 applicants, I'm pretty sure I screwed up a little in talking too much about how their program was different than the others, hoping to give off the impression I've put a lot of time into thinking about things, but her comment at the end that I "seemed to apply for a lot of programs" made me think I gave off a different impression than I had hoped for. I think though with each interview we get a little better and pick up on things we ought to have done differently. And well....sometimes we just have off days and don't do as well either.

So far the interviews I've had they had about 20% acceptance rates, so I'm definitely psyching myself out over them and its making it pretty stressful, I decided not to overthink and find positive ways to cope with the pressure - exercising for one! I should have some answers in about 3 weeks. After putting in a solid years work in making this happen, I really hope a program out there can look passed some of that awkwardness and see the potential! Hard to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone have some information on William James college or Massachusetts school of professional psychology? they are the same school they change their name recently. The school is APA and NASP accredited and only has about 600 students. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ohhappyday said:

anyone have some information on William James college or Massachusetts school of professional psychology? they are the same school they change their name recently. The school is APA and NASP accredited and only has about 600 students. 

Looked up the program out of curiosity. Looks sketchy as hell! I would most definitely not go there, even as a last resort. They are clearly ripping students off, probably playing off desparate students with no other options, students who have no idea what they are doing, or students from incredibly rich families who want to buy a psyd in school psychology. The fact they are even certified makes me question how much a certification matters or how a program goes about getting certified to begin with. They may have a decent enough program, but they are clearly in the business of student loans. Just look at their fees: $1310 per credit  plus all these "extra fees" that add up to an estimated $50,000 per academic year lol. The fact they even mention that "students who are in financial hardship can meet with the Dean, but will be charged 1% interest" or something similar and advertise their default rates of graduates on their homepage is quite hilarious. You would be maxing out your unsubsidized Stafford loans, plus having to take an enormous amount of other loans (self loan, etc...) just to pay for it all. They are definitely taking advantage of the system for their benefit, exactly like the pharmacy ceo last year who spiked up the price of that hiv drug. Students have the advantage of paying a percentage of their income so as to make payments affordable, but this program has sketchy written all over it. Definitely steer clear is my advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it! Just got a call from one of my top programs I was interested in. They said I impressed them and they would like to offer me a spot in their program! A cohort of 10 students, they said they reviewed around 60 applications and interviewed 25, so I was a little skeptical on my chances but I guess I did what I needed to. That I received a call within a day of their interviews finishing, on a Saturday mind you, means I was within their first core group of candidates and not someone that was bumped up from a waitlist.

The program has everything I need: 100% employment placement after graduation, 100% internship placement, $30,000 program cost, a good fit for me and a program I respect....A Wisconsin program - a state with a decent public education system.

Very excited and relieved I did it. It's awesome knowing in two years from now I'll have my foot in the door to a career. I know school psychology is not the easiest thing to go into, but for me personally it's going to be a great fit and a step up from the 80 hour weeks at $12/hour in group homes I'm grinding at the moment. 

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Edited by westy3789

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, westy3789 said:

I did it! Just got a call from one of my top programs I was interested in. They said I impressed them and they would like to offer me a spot in their program! A cohort of 10 students, they said they reviewed around 60 applications and interviewed 25, so I was a little skeptical on my chances but I guess I did what I needed to. That I received a call within a day of their interviews finishing, on a Saturday mind you, means I was within their first core group of candidates and not someone that was bumped up from a waitlist.

The program has everything I need: 100% employment placement after graduation, 100% internship placement, $30,000 program cost, a good fit for me and a program I respect....A Wisconsin program - a state with a decent public education system.

Very excited and relieved I did it. It's awesome knowing in two years from now I'll have my foot in the door to a career. I know school psychology is not the easiest thing to go into, but for me personally it's going to be a great fit and a step up from the 80 hour weeks at $12/hour in group homes I'm grinding at the moment. 

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Congratulations! I'm super happy for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM, kingslayer said:

I haven't heard anything yet!

#prayercircle for funding and interviews/acceptances

Glad I am not the only one, Its so weird Delaware is the only place I haven't heard from and their applications were due Jan. 15th?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rejected from northeastern :( 

interviews at william James (mspp) and temple. waiting to hear back from others.

congrats westy3789!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ohhappyday if you haven't interviewed at temple yet (I am assuming you are going for Ed.S) let me know if you have any questions about interviewing! I interviewed for phd and they said the interview process was pretty similar...just the Ed.S interview is later. The faculty there were super nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anxiousapplicant01 said:

@ohhappyday if you haven't interviewed at temple yet (I am assuming you are going for Ed.S) let me know if you have any questions about interviewing! I interviewed for phd and they said the interview process was pretty similar...just the Ed.S interview is later. The faculty there were super nice. 

 

I have an interview at Temple and its my first one so I am a little nervous! What kind of questions did they ask? How long did the interview last for? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mebm218 said:

 

I have an interview at Temple and its my first one so I am a little nervous! What kind of questions did they ask? How long did the interview last for? Thanks!

I am soooo nervous too !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I'm new to this board and with reading everyone's responses I am really suprised by the number of schools people applied to? Is this the norm, because I only applied to two Ed.S. programs. I see alot of people interviewing at temple are you all local, or are you flying there? Just wondering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Doubles89 said:

I have to say I'm new to this board and with reading everyone's responses I am really suprised by the number of schools people applied to? Is this the norm, because I only applied to two Ed.S. programs. I see alot of people interviewing at temple are you all local, or are you flying there? Just wondering?

I am planning on driving there or taking a bus, applied to six programs. rejected from 1, interviews at 2, and yet to hear back from 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

Are any of you applying to Miami University (Ohio)? Hopefully we'll get positive news today or tomorrow (survey from previous years had notices happen the second week in February).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it normal to not hear from any schools at this point? :unsure: I've only applied to Masters/EdS programs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, neonossuary said:

Is it normal to not hear from any schools at this point? :unsure: I've only applied to Masters/EdS programs. 

I would think it is! 7 of my schools had 1/15 deadlines. I haven't heard back from two of them. They may have different schedules and such. Have you checked the survey? Hopefully there are older interview/acceptance emails for you to look at.

 

On 2/8/2016 at 4:01 PM, Doubles89 said:

Glad I am not the only one, Its so weird Delaware is the only place I haven't heard from and their applications were due Jan. 15th?

Anything back from UDel yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kingslayer said:

I would think it is! 7 of my schools had 1/15 deadlines. I haven't heard back from two of them. They may have different schedules and such. Have you checked the survey? Hopefully there are older interview/acceptance emails for you to look at.

Nope! Nothing at all. Most of mine were 1/15 (or earlier) as well -- Fairfield, Fordham, Towson, William & Mary, and UDel. Has anyone else heard from these schools? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neonossuary said:

Nope! Nothing at all. Most of mine were 1/15 (or earlier) as well -- Fairfield, Fordham, Towson, William & Mary, and UDel. Has anyone else heard from these schools? 

I applied to William & Mary masters program as well. I havent heard anything back from them yet and I saw today on their events page that interviews are set to happen 29th of Feb for school psychology applicants.. So I'm getting nervous worried I didn't get accepted... let me know if you hear back from them anytime soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.