Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hi guys! Late greetings from Seoul, Korea. Hope everyone is good and well! 

I applied to bunch of Ph.D. programs (e.g., MSU(MIS Ph.D.), Northwestern(Media, Tech & Society), USC, etc.)

The thing is that I recently encountered this program at Boston University (Ph.D. in Emerging Media Studies) and find it very interesting in terms of the overall academic interest fit. But it seems that it is a quite new program, and does not offer wide array of faculties (referring to its website), so I am not quite sure about its program quality. Anyone who have looked into (or have heard anything about) this program? I thought it would be best to hear from people here for some opinions!! Thanks!

Oh my goodness we're an active bunch! ;)

I have 2 applications due tomorrow. I'm finalizing my SOPs for each this afternoon and hope to finish up the apps by bed. How is everyone else managing?

2 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Oh my goodness we're an active bunch! ;)

I have 2 applications due tomorrow. I'm finalizing my SOPs for each this afternoon and hope to finish up the apps by bed. How is everyone else managing?

I'm waiting on one LoR-writer for two programs that are due tomorrow and one that's due January 2nd. If past experience serves, they'll submit them at 11:30 PM the day they're due. 

Now that I have nothing else to do with my time (other than work) I'm worrying myself with plans B, C, and D in the event I don't get in anywhere. Also started learning German. 

On 11/17/2015 at 8:26 PM, s said:
On 12/12/2015 at 10:06 AM, JWRoyceChoi said:

But it seems that it is a quite new program, and does not offer wide array of faculties (referring to its website), so I am not quite sure about its program quality. Anyone who have looked into (or have heard anything about) this program? I thought it would be best to hear from people here for some opinions!! Thanks!

Hi! Yeah, it seems quite new, and if you noticed, the only alumni presented on the web-site of the program graduated this year and doing things that probably could be easily managed by BA graduates - I mean their career paths look not very promising. Though the web-site is nice!

I've only heard about that programme via all the e-mails you get from universities as soon as you register for the GRE test, and if that's the only way I know about a programme I don't think that's necessarily a good sign. But maybe it's just that it's a new thing. 

Whew. Finishing my sixth and final application tonight - I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty tired of writing statements of purpose. :-) 

Cornell is my last application (PhD in Comm). I've also applied to Stanford, OSU, NYU, Northwestern, and U-Penn.

Along the way, I've discovered a lot of really cool research articles (published by professors or their students in the various departments). I'm making a stack to read over the Xmas break! :-) 

On 2015년 12월 15일 at 7:24 AM, Swans said:

I've only heard about that programme via all the e-mails you get from universities as soon as you register for the GRE test, and if that's the only way I know about a programme I don't think that's necessarily a good sign. But maybe it's just that it's a new thing. 

On 2015년 12월 15일 at 4:55 AM, kumitrue said:

Hi! Yeah, it seems quite new, and if you noticed, the only alumni presented on the web-site of the program graduated this year and doing things that probably could be easily managed by BA graduates - I mean their career paths look not very promising. Though the web-site is nice!

Thanks for y'all! I think "only heard about that programme via all the e-mails you get from universities as soon as you register for the GRE test" kinda puts end to my inquiry haha

I just got through with all the applications (except the one I have to mail official transcripts until Jan.15)! Hope I could get good news early next year.. :) Happy X-mas to y'all !!

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a place to commiserate a bit about applications. I am currently applying to about 7 interpersonal/health comm programs (UCSB, UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, Univ of Oklahoma, UT Austin, and Arizona State) and am ready to cry a little bit about this process. I have a solid GPA/GRE, a few conference papers, teaching experience, and I met nearly all of my POIs at NCA this year, but I still have a nagging feeling like I am just going to get rejected from everywhere I applied. 

I hope you guys are doing alright through this process! 

3 hours ago, rachelrey said:

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a place to commiserate a bit about applications. I am currently applying to about 7 interpersonal/health comm programs (UCSB, UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, Univ of Oklahoma, UT Austin, and Arizona State) and am ready to cry a little bit about this process. I have a solid GPA/GRE, a few conference papers, teaching experience, and I met nearly all of my POIs at NCA this year, but I still have a nagging feeling like I am just going to get rejected from everywhere I applied. 

Don't get down just yet! There's still plenty of time. If your credentials are up to snuff (and a number of randomized elements end up in your favor) you'll get in somewhere. 

On 12/23/2015 at 3:44 PM, gradswag said:

Hi everyone!

Hang in there.

FWIW, I'm at OU and I love it here.

2 hours ago, lyrehc said:

Hang in there.

FWIW, I'm at OU and I love it here.

I literally am obsessed with OU. I met the faculty I want to work with and a few grad students at NCA this year and fell in love with the idea of ending up there. I am hoping they love me back!

On 12/24/2015 at 8:41 PM, ajayghale said:

Don't get down just yet! There's still plenty of time. If your credentials are up to snuff (and a number of randomized elements end up in your favor) you'll get in somewhere. 

Thank you for saying this! I am both confident and petrified, which is hard to balance. I am hoping the odds are in my favor ;)

Oh man, the University of Georgia has a very complicated application process. Two separate applications that require 2 copies of sealed transcripts. I wasn't thinking last night when I applied, I sent my transcripts via escript-safe (or whatever the electronic version of transcript sending is). So, now I am sending them again but having them mailed. I'm out $55 for one set of transcripts for one application. It's likely just the schools I'm applying to this time around, but last application season I hardly had any official transcripts requirements unless I was recommended for admission. Almost every school is requiring official transcripts and GRE results. So application fee + $27 GRE fee + $20 transcript fees. 

Hope everyone is doing ok!!

The GRE fee gets to be unexpectedly burdensome. I was lucky that none of my schools wanted sealed, official transcripts mailed to them, but when I applied to master's programs that was a big thing (especially since I transferred schools, so that was double the cost). The little extra fees are probably the worst part about applying to schools!

On 12/29/2015 at 8:26 AM, cannedheat said:

Oh man, the University of Georgia has a very complicated application process. Two separate applications that require 2 copies of sealed transcripts. I wasn't thinking last night when I applied, I sent my transcripts via escript-safe (or whatever the electronic version of transcript sending is). So, now I am sending them again but having them mailed. I'm out $55 for one set of transcripts for one application. It's likely just the schools I'm applying to this time around, but last application season I hardly had any official transcripts requirements unless I was recommended for admission. Almost every school is requiring official transcripts and GRE results. So application fee + $27 GRE fee + $20 transcript fees. 

Hope everyone is doing ok!!

Aaaaaaaaand just to make everything even better, I received a confirmation email a few days later that states the Graduate School does not require official transcripts unless offered admission...>.<

So they're going to receive 3 copies of official transcripts from my Uni and Community College and they didn't even require them...even though all their admission application directions explicitly say to send official transcripts. They're going to think I'm an idiot. Hahaha.

On 12/26/2015 at 5:21 PM, gradswag said:

I literally am obsessed with OU. I met the faculty I want to work with and a few grad students at NCA this year and fell in love with the idea of ending up there. I am hoping they love me back!

If you're admitted (and decide to join us) let me know. I'll be happy to help you navigate the area etc.

HI!

I'm new around here, my first post actually. I applied for UCSB for the PhD program, I wanted to apply for the UCSD campus too and for Arizona State but sadly the whole application process (including GRE and TOEFL since I'm an international applicant) was really expensive so I had to decide which program I liked the most.

If I don't get in this year I'll definitely save more money, maybe retake the GRE exam and apply again to UCSB, Arizona and Penn state

But I'm trying to stay positive :) 

Edited by Satynne

I have all my applications in now. I submitted my last application on Sunday night to Uni of Pittsburgh. Hopefully this application round will be more fruitful than last year.

I do have a quandary that I posted about it in the applications section of TGC, but I haven't had any responses. Here's the the link: 

I hate to cross post but either that section is just not getting a lot of traffic or no one who has looked has any insight. Does anyone here in the our little corner of TGC have any ideas on how to approach this particular conundrum? 

15 hours ago, cannedheat said:

Welcome to the party Satynne! I think the application rounds are just about done and then we'll all be in the same waiting boat.

:) Thanks!  I'm so glad I found this forum and people going through the same process! 

15 hours ago, cannedheat said:

I have all my applications in now. I submitted my last application on Sunday night to Uni of Pittsburgh. Hopefully this application round will be more fruitful than last year.

I do have a quandary that I posted about it in the applications section of TGC, but I haven't had any responses. Here's the the link: 

I hate to cross post but either that section is just not getting a lot of traffic or no one who has looked has any insight. Does anyone here in the our little corner of TGC have any ideas on how to approach this particular conundrum? 

Hi!

I'm not really sure about this...  maybe you could write about your experience while studying your MA and explain how the next step of your academic career is the phd but that for that you need funding, maybe write about your achievements and skills, and how you would be a perfect fit for the program?... I hope I was able to help, first time i heard about a letter like that.

Hi everyone :)

I just wanted to say hello and offer whatever help I can. I am currently a PhD student at Purdue with a focus in org com. I checked this forum obsessively when I was going through the application process and I know how stressful all of this can be. I'm happy to answer any questions y'all may have. Good luck everyone!! 

On 1/6/2016 at 5:19 PM, mkm2119 said:

Hi everyone :)

I just wanted to say hello and offer whatever help I can. I am currently a PhD student at Purdue with a focus in org com. I checked this forum obsessively when I was going through the application process and I know how stressful all of this can be. I'm happy to answer any questions y'all may have. Good luck everyone!! 

Hi!! 

I'm currently on that state of checking this forum obsessively!  I do have a question, to how many programs did you apply? :)