Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

For anyone who is interested, I learned a couple of interesting things from Windsor's webinar earlier this week.  This is for their MSW for Working Professionals program.  For the personal statement, the second question asks applicants to write about their interest in the areas of gerontology, health/mental health, and child welfare; applicants are, in fact, not restricted to only these areas.  They were very clear that they want applicants to write about something that they feel passionately about, and although most areas in social work can somehow be related to the three listed areas, applicants may write about any issues that they feel strongly about (e.g. human rights, social justice, other marginalized populations, etc.).

For this program, they have stated that they want applicants with at least three years of full-time, relevant experience.  They are willing to consider also applicants who have worked the equivalent in part-time hours.  Either way, applicants should have approximately 5000 hours of related work experience in order to have a strong application.

The most interesting thing that I had learned was from asking what the competitive average was for last year's cohort.  Their response was that a competitive average doesn't really exist for their MSW program, as applicants are not judged in comparison to others, but instead on their own strengths and suitability for the program.  The number of applicants that they accept is not set in stone, particularly for their Peel location, as different sections of a cohort can be created based on demand.  Applications are processed on a rolling basis, so everyone who might be interested is encouraged to apply early.

Hope this helps those of you who are thinking of applying to Windsor!  :)

19 hours ago, soapaddict said:

Hi everyone,

i was wondering what is the difference between and M.ed in counselling vs a MSW??

I want to pursue clinical work (mental health)

The MEd would be focused solely on counselling whereas social work looks at broader issues. Also, you would graduate with a different title. The MEd would prepare you to register as a psychotherapist whereas as the MSW would prepare you to register as a social worker. Either way you could pursue clinical work  but counselling psych might give you a more specialized approach to mental health. 

Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, AnnInTO said:

For anyone who is interested, I learned a couple of interesting things from Windsor's webinar earlier this week.  This is for their MSW for Working Professionals program.  For the personal statement, the second question asks applicants to write about their interest in the areas of gerontology, health/mental health, and child welfare; applicants are, in fact, not restricted to only these areas.  They were very clear that they want applicants to write about something that they feel passionately about, and although most areas in social work can somehow be related to the three listed areas, applicants may write about any issues that they feel strongly about (e.g. human rights, social justice, other marginalized populations, etc.).

For this program, they have stated that they want applicants with at least three years of full-time, relevant experience.  They are willing to consider also applicants who have worked the equivalent in part-time hours.  Either way, applicants should have approximately 5000 hours of related work experience in order to have a strong application.

The most interesting thing that I had learned was from asking what the competitive average was for last year's cohort.  Their response was that a competitive average doesn't really exist for their MSW program, as applicants are not judged in comparison to others, but instead on their own strengths and suitability for the program.  The number of applicants that they accept is not set in stone, particularly for their Peel location, as different sections of a cohort can be created based on demand.  Applications are processed on a rolling basis, so everyone who might be interested is encouraged to apply early.

Hope this helps those of you who are thinking of applying to Windsor!  :)

Do the 5000 hours have to be post-undergad? Or will they count hours that I've completed in my undergrad? I really liked the working professional option because I really want to still be making a solid income while going to school, but it was my understanding that you had to be out of the undergrad for at least 3 years. Is that true?

Also, do you need an undergraduate stats course for admission into that program?

Thanks!!

17 hours ago, MSW16 said:

Do the 5000 hours have to be post-undergad? Or will they count hours that I've completed in my undergrad? I really liked the working professional option because I really want to still be making a solid income while going to school, but it was my understanding that you had to be out of the undergrad for at least 3 years. Is that true?

Also, do you need an undergraduate stats course for admission into that program?

Thanks!!

Hi MSW16,

Yes, you need both a stats and research methods course for admission.

They did mention that technically, the 5000 hours should be accrued after completion of your qualifying degree but they would look at this on a case-by-case basis.  For example, I had graduated with my first BA 5 years ago but with an unimpressive GPA.  I decided to return to school in order to pursue a second undergrad degree, which was the equivalent of 2 years of full-time studies (4 years part-time).  I will be finished this second degree in April and have been working full-time during this time but I am still eligible to apply to the Working Professionals program so there is much flexibility in this area also.

Janet, the admissions coordinator, is very responsive and helpful if you have questions about the applications process or your situation specifically.  Please let me know if you'd like her contact info.

Hey everyone,

I followed this forum last year, however I didn't post. Even though I do feel it contributed heavily to my stress and anxiety about applying, I know it is a good place to ask questions and receive thoughtful, helpful answers. So here I am!  

I was waitlisted at UofT last year, and am reapplying this year. I know there are some of you in the same boat as me, and I am wondering if you are completely scrapping your previous written statement and starting a fresh one, or using some parts of your old statement. I am a little bit torn, I have lots of new experiences to write about, so I have, but I also feel that some answers have not changed much if at all. 

Does anyone have any insight as to what would be best? Does anyone know if they refer to our old applications? It seems to me that it would be a lot of extra work for them. 

On 20 November 2015 03:23:41, Ach29 said:

Can I ask what your average was and what you mean by high and low marks (e.g.  60s and 90s?) ? Good luck this year! Sounds like you improved on quite a bit! 

Yes, pretty much. I have a second year ethics course that I took in my last semester (it was a substitution for a compulsory course I missed when I did a semester abroad) and I ended up with a 67 :(  but in the same semester I had a 90 in my practicum course, and my placement was in a service that worked with vulnerable families. So basically it just boils down to if they consider I have good marks in relevant courses, or if they look at everything and wonder if I'll be able to do well in a masters program. 

13 hours ago, soapaddict said:

I've noticed a lot of MSW programs fundings are limited. What are alternatives to covering costs of tuition? 

Apply for OGS. Although you must have at least an A- average in the last two years of undergraduate study, and have two academic references.

On November 22, 2015 at 2:56:35 PM, kirsten107 said:

Hey !! I'm wondering if anyone has general info about a competitive application ? :)
I'm considering applying this year to a couple schools (for msw, and a backup as a post degree bsw) but am not sure if it's worth it this year..
I'm currently finishing my undergrad in psych but won't have a largely competitive GPA , (will probably sit around B+). As far as volunteer experience goes, I have done about 8 months being a supervised access monitor with family services, as well as some time volunteering at a womens shelter. (and some other intermittent -but not hugely related- volunteer experience)

In a nutshell, creeping last years forum and seeing how competitive the programs are, I'm wondering if my application will be too average for this year or if anyone has applied with similar circumstances??

Any input would be greatly appreciated/ suggestions  !! TIA

you could try for UofT they mainly look at marks. Also Windsor for msw should be good for you. 

2 hours ago, Torontonian said:

Is anyone applying to University of Calgary?

I have been admitted to Laurier's part time MSW program. However, I may need to move to Calgary, so I am applying to their program as well. Their statement of intent is very confusing!

I am also applying to University of Calgary and working on their statement of intent at the moment.

Hi everyone!

So I am applying for the second time to UofT. I was placed on the wait list last time. However, this time I realized that I haven't submitted my official transcript yet and they are due Dec 1st. Does anyone know how strict they are about this deadline? I am so worried now, I don't know how this deadline slipped through without noticing... 

23 minutes ago, Lobza said:

Hi everyone!

So I am applying for the second time to UofT. I was placed on the wait list last time. However, this time I realized that I haven't submitted my official transcript yet and they are due Dec 1st. Does anyone know how strict they are about this deadline? I am so worried now, I don't know how this deadline slipped through without noticing... 

I would assume that U of T is pretty strict with deadlines, but I think it's best that you call U of T on Monday for an accurate answer.. :wacko: Good luck!!

2 hours ago, Lobza said:

Hi everyone!

Hey Lobza! 

I am in the same boat … My transcripts still haven't arrived and I am freaking out.  I thought I ordered them in plenty of time, but I guess not.  I will be calling Monday morning as well, so fingers crossed! 

28 minutes ago, katkatkat said:

Hey Lobza! 

I am in the same boat … My transcripts still haven't arrived and I am freaking out.  I thought I ordered them in plenty of time, but I guess not.  I will be calling Monday morning as well, so fingers crossed! 

Im also freaking out, I don't think I'll be able to sleep all weekend lol

But I think that if you've already sent in your transcript request then you should be fine. UofT probably hasn't updated the your status though. I think it takes a few days for them to do that. Anyways Good luck!

Hey guys,

Looking for the opinions of those of you who were also wait listed for the 2 year program at U of T last year … In your written statement are you mentioning anywhere that you were wait listed last year?  I currently mention it before I talk about the additional volunteering I have done over the past year, but not sure if that is a good idea or a bad idea … What do you guys think? 

23 minutes ago, rmiller said:

Has anyone applied to the MSW program at waterloo? Any ideas on how many people are accepted, or where to find that sort or information?

Hi rmiller,

I'm not applying to Waterloo, but I have emailed them a couple months ago with the same question as yours, and this is what they said, " We offer around 30 places on the full-time program and 30 places on our part-time program each year. Our program is oversubscribed and unfortunately we have to turn down a number of excellent applicants."

I hope this helps! :)

Wow, only 30! That's not very reassuring. Much less than I had thought it would be. Thank you for your quick reply. It is much appreciated.

Edited by rmiller

2 hours ago, katkatkat said:

Hey guys,

Looking for the opinions of those of you who were also wait listed for the 2 year program at U of T last year … In your written statement are you mentioning anywhere that you were wait listed last year?  I currently mention it before I talk about the additional volunteering I have done over the past year, but not sure if that is a good idea or a bad idea … What do you guys think? 

I'm also interested to know if I should mention this. I feel like I should but I also feel like they probably have that on file..right? lol Anyone know?

2 hours ago, Lobza said:

I'm also interested to know if I should mention this. I feel like I should but I also feel like they probably have that on file..right? lol Anyone know?

2 hours ago, Lobza said:

i am wondering the same thing! I would assume they have it noted on our files somewhere that we were previously waitlisted, but they wouldn't necessarily have our old applications to compare. i want to show that i'm committed to getting into this program so i've done xyz but i'm not sure if that would just bring their attention back to the negatives that made my application unsuccessful in the first place. 

On 11/28/2015, 3:31:31, emilym123 said:

I am also applying to University of Calgary and working on their statement of intent at the moment.

How is it coming along for you? I have written parts of it over and over again and I can't decide on how to organize it... Sigh. Why don't they have questions like all other schools!

On 11/28/2015, 4:37:34, Lobza said:

Hi everyone!

If they are requested prior to december 1st, they should accept it. Most schools dont penalize you for mailing time. Call them and ask.

UofCalgary has not received mine. I am worrying about that.

On 11/28/2015, 7:38:00, katkatkat said:

Hey Lobza! 

so i contacted admissions at uoft and was told that as long as the online unofficial transcript is in then the official one can be a few days late!