Jump to content

Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I hope everyone's applications are going well. It is a much quieter thread this year. 

In response to the post about Laurier's Community Psychology program, I worked with someone who was in the program for part of last year. She was collecting data and participating in some major community development projects. It seemed like a fun but engaging program where you had the freedom to research different things pertaining to your community interests. 

Has anyone considered any other programs too? Laurier has the MA Theology and Psychotherapy program. There's also the MA Ed in Counselling... MA Cultural Studies... Social Justice and Community Engagement (Laurier Brantford). There are so many options for further education but it seems that the MSW is one of the highest regarded degrees. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just reminding everyone and myself, that we all have a path... this path will lead us where we need to go. Don't compare yourself to others. xx

Posted Images

Hey friends :) 

I applied in 2014 for the MSW, and I was accepted to both Laurier and Carleton, and I am now attending Carleton's MSW program. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I was really active on these boards last year and it's great to see another community forming again this year. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have more information about Ryerson?

Their program looks amazing but the fact that they only admit 30-35 MSW students and that it is pretty research heavy is making me nervous as I have a much more practical background...

So far I have started my applications for U of T, U of C and Dalhousie and not sure if I will apply to any more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

First time posting here, this is my 2nd time around applying for the 2 yr program at UofT.. first time was waitlisted. I have a question about references if anyone can help me..

I completed my univ degree in 2013, and tbh I don't think I'll be able to get an academic ref because it's been so long. However, I did complete a SSW diploma at George Brown recently. So my question is, if I were to get an academic ref from a prof at George Brown and then wrote a cover letter explaining why I couldn't get one from my univ, do you think it would pass? Or am I wasting my time? Will my chances be depleted?

Thx for any replies :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

First time posting here, this is my 2nd time around applying for the 2 yr program at UofT.. first time was waitlisted. I have a question about references if anyone can help me..

I completed my univ degree in 2013, and tbh I don't think I'll be able to get an academic ref because it's been so long. However, I did complete a SSW diploma at George Brown recently. So my question is, if I were to get an academic ref from a prof at George Brown and then wrote a cover letter explaining why I couldn't get one from my univ, do you think it would pass? Or am I wasting my time? Will my chances be depleted?

Thx for any replies :)

U of T is very strict about the academic references coming from a university, as they will be better able to evaluate your potential for grad school at the university level. That being said, 2 years is NOT a long time and in fact, many professors are used to writing references for several years because they understand how competitive graduate education is. 

My suggestion to you would be to contact your old reference with an email that reintroduces yourself (reminding them about what kind of work you did as their research assistant, which mark you got in their class, etc) and possibly attach a sample of your writing to refresh their memory :) I'm sure they'll be happy to write you another reference!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the electronic transcript for U of T - I'm a U of T student. I'm vaguely remembering something being said at the information session about just copying and pasting your academic history from ROSI into a word document ... does anyone know if this is correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the electronic transcript for U of T - I'm a U of T student. I'm vaguely remembering something being said at the information session about just copying and pasting your academic history from ROSI into a word document ... does anyone know if this is correct?

Yep, for the electronic one you can copy and paste your information from online into a word doc :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mkt said:

Is anyone else applying to the UofT MSW-ITR specialization?

I saw that specialization a few weeks ago and was very excited. I would be interested in applying to it (my work focuses on Indigenous issues and I've done work on Indigenous history and historical trauma) but I sadly missed the deadline. I don't know why it is much earlier than the main program. So I am applying to their regular MSW stream - Mental Health and Health. I'm hoping to be able to take my elective courses from this field though. 

Edited by phd2msw
typos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there ! So I am new to this forum and don't know anyone who has applied to an MSW before so I am struggling, specifically reference wise. I know I am a few days behind on starting but I am stuck on who to ask. I am going to be applying to the U of T 2 year MSW!

A professor offered to be an academic reference for me so I am fine with that but for my other two  I don't know who to ask! I worked as a research assistant for the past 3 years so definitely someone from there but I have lost contact with all the other work related references I would have from other jobs. 

Do you think it would be ok to ask two people from my research assistant position such as the lab manager and Phd student? Or should I ask another professor ( I did well in her class and used to speak with her when I saw her in the halls but I don't know how well she can attest to me being a good social worker)

Any opinion would help, thanks :)!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phd2msw said:

I saw that specialization a few weeks ago and was very excited. I would be interested in applying to it (my work focuses on Indigenous issues and I've done work on Indigenous history and historical trauma) but I sadly missed the deadline. I don't know why it is much earlier than the main program. So I am applying to their regular MSW stream - Mental Health and Health. I'm hoping to be able to take my elective courses from this field though. 

Bummer. It is strange that it's so early. When you read through it, did it seem to you that the majority of it was online? I know there are those week intensives and field placements, but other than that it mentioned online coursework.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexial said:

Hi there ! So I am new to this forum and don't know anyone who has applied to an MSW before so I am struggling, specifically reference wise. I know I am a few days behind on starting but I am stuck on who to ask. I am going to be applying to the U of T 2 year MSW!

A professor offered to be an academic reference for me so I am fine with that but for my other two  I don't know who to ask! I worked as a research assistant for the past 3 years so definitely someone from there but I have lost contact with all the other work related references I would have from other jobs. 

Do you think it would be ok to ask two people from my research assistant position such as the lab manager and Phd student? Or should I ask another professor ( I did well in her class and used to speak with her when I saw her in the halls but I don't know how well she can attest to me being a good social worker)

Any opinion would help, thanks :)!

Hi alexial, I think it's great you have a professor to write you a letter. I would use just one of your research assistant managers if you can. It would be best to have a variety. I think that it sometimes seems that you've lost contact with past supervisors, but they remember you and would be happy to write you a letter if you asked. I thought for 2 of my letters that was the case but really I just emailed them saying "hey remember me?" and requesting the letter and they were happy to do it. I also had one person not respond to me at all, but that's why you ask a few different people! If it comes down to it and no previous work or field placement supervisors will write you a letter, then better to have both managers from your research assistant lab than one. I suggest you do everything you can to get variety especially considering the competitive nature of U of T. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Laurier applicants!

When you wrote your personal statement did you include references for any of the questions (ie. #2) or just write based on your personal knowledge? It seems like it could be a very academically written question, but at the same time I'm not sure if i'm supposed to use references in a personal statement. Would that take up part of the word count?

Thanks for the help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 5, 2015 at 2:04:33 PM, mkt said:

Bummer. It is strange that it's so early. When you read through it, did it seem to you that the majority of it was online? I know there are those week intensives and field placements, but other than that it mentioned online coursework.

Yeah, it seems to be mostly online with some intensive weeks. That also made it seem a little less spectacular, but I think I would have considered it anyway. It seems pretty innovative. I know Laurier has an Indigenous specialization, but the one at UofT looks like it's more trauma focused. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 6, 2015 at 4:17:38 PM, MSW16 said:

Hey Laurier applicants!

When you wrote your personal statement did you include references for any of the questions (ie. #2) or just write based on your personal knowledge? It seems like it could be a very academically written question, but at the same time I'm not sure if i'm supposed to use references in a personal statement. Would that take up part of the word count?

Thanks for the help!

Hey there! When I wrote my statement last year, I did not use any references. Assuming the questions are the same this year, I would think you are safe to leave them out unless you are citing very specific statistics or uncommon knowledge and theories. Make the language you use accessible and speak in general terms and you should be fine. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 28, 2015 at 6:02:30 PM, wishingonuoft said:

That being said, 2 years is NOT a long time and in fact, many professors are used to writing references for several years because they understand how competitive graduate education is. 

My suggestion to you would be to contact your old reference with an email that reintroduces yourself (reminding them about what kind of work you did as their research assistant, which mark you got in their class, etc) and possibly attach a sample of your writing to refresh their memory :) I'm sure they'll be happy to write you another reference!

Just want to second this. I am applying to grad schools after finishing my undergrad *over 20* years ago. I did an undergraduate thesis, and hesitated to ask my supervisor, as I thought he wouldn't remember me, or wouldn't want to be bothered after so long. I forced myself to ask him, though, because I really needed that academic reference, and to my surprise, he responded enthusiastically, and wrote me a (presumably) glowing letter -- I say that because I was waitlisted for a very competitive program last year, that, based on how long ago I graduated and how average some of my undergrad marks were, I would never have been considered for without an excellent academic reference.

You don't know unless you ask, and people will often be a lot more willing than you might imagine.

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All,

I am considering applying to McGill. I see that a statistics course is required. I have not taken an explicit stats course, however I have taken many research methods courses - one in my undergrad and in my BSW. I am wondering if those might count toward that requirement?

 

Is anyone applying to Dal of Memorial for MSW?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2015, 5:38:41, Sœur d'une Étoile said:

Hello All,

I am considering applying to McGill. I see that a statistics course is required. I have not taken an explicit stats course, however I have taken many research methods courses - one in my undergrad and in my BSW. I am wondering if those might count toward that requirement?

 

Is anyone applying to Dal of Memorial for MSW?

Thanks!

Hi! 

Unfortunately, research methods courses don't count towards stats unless it was a full year course with half of that year (one semester) being statistics. There's no way around it. If you're interested in the program there though you could always do an online stats course through Athabasca university! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

 

 

I was active on this forum last year, and I told myself I wouldn't come back here this year as I felt this forum just made me more anxious than anything else, but here I am again :) I found there were a few posters last year who were very negative and didn't bring a good energy to this space so hopefully it will be different this year, especially when March rolls around and we are all refreshing our inbox 100 times a day. 

 

I applied to McGill, Laurier, and U of T for the 2 year programs, was waitlisted at u of t, and ultimately was rejected from there as well. I emailed U of T to ask for feedback on my application and they said my weakness was my grades. I had a decent average but i had some courses with very high marks and some with pretty low marks, which im sure doesn't look great. I've added 6 more months of direct experience in child protection, one of my references is better, and I also took 2 online courses from athabasca so hopefully this is my year! 

 

I am going to apply to u of t, windsor, and laurier. Also going to do the 1 year bsw at lakehead orillia. Good luck everyone! 

Edited by Bettyg
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

I know Windsor isn't mentioned very often on this forum, but I'll be sitting in on a webinar for their MSW for Working Professionals program at noon today.  For anyone who is interested, I will post whatever new info I learn later on today or please feel free to DM me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow MSW hopefuls! 

 
The forum is so much quieter this year!  I'm sure that will change as it gets closer to March! 
 
Last year I applied to the 2 year MSW programs at both York and U of T.  I was rejected from York and waitlisted at U of T, but ultimately did not make it off the waitlist.  
 
This year I am applying to U of T, Windsor and UBC Okanagan 
 
Upon finding out I did not get in last year, I took a good look at my application to determine what I could improve on.  My GPA is right at the high B+ low A- mark, so it is very average, but all of my marks are A's and B's, so I did not have any C's or D's that I could upgrade to A's and boost my GPA.  
 
I took 3 research methods courses in my undergrad and my marks were A, A-, and A.  I believe they will take my third year mark, which was an A.  
 
So I decided to improve upon my relevant paid or unpaid experience.  Unfortunately as I currently have a full time job at a financial institution, I have minimal hours available to volunteer, but I did all I could and so far have logged almost 100 hours with my local Children's Aid Society.  I can confidently predict that I will have well over 200 by September 2016.  
 
All of my previous volunteer experience was working with children with special needs: 
- 120 hours working one on one with children with special needs improving sensory and motor development through activities and games (program organized through Acadia university) 
- 1 month (approx. 160 hours) volunteering at an orphanage for children with special needs in Phnom Penh, Cambodia 
- 200 hours working one on one with a child in my community with Down syndrome to improve skating/hockey skills 
- 80 (& counting) hours as a volunteer driver with my local Children's Aid Society, transporting children and youth to and from school, appointments, visits, etc.  
- 15 (& counting) hours as a volunteer tutor with local Children's Aid Society assisting a 7 year old boy with reading 
 
Looking forward to chatting with you all as the months go on! 
 
Best of luck! 
 
P.S.  AnnInTO - Thank you!  That would be awesome! 
Edited by katkatkat
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2015, 9:50:45, dexy77 said:

Hey there! When I wrote my statement last year, I did not use any references. Assuming the questions are the same this year, I would think you are safe to leave them out unless you are citing very specific statistics or uncommon knowledge and theories. Make the language you use accessible and speak in general terms and you should be fine. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks!! Do you remember if there was a page limit for the resume? I know there isn't for the U of T application but Laurier doesn't specify whether or not the resume should be short or no limit to pages. Also, I pm'd you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2015, 19:17:15, Bettyg said:

Hey guys!

 

 

I was active on this forum last year, and I told myself I wouldn't come back here this year as I felt this forum just made me more anxious than anything else, but here I am again :) I found there were a few posters last year who were very negative and didn't bring a good energy to this space so hopefully it will be different this year, especially when March rolls around and we are all refreshing our inbox 100 times a day. 

 

I applied to McGill, Laurier, and U of T for the 2 year programs, was waitlisted at u of t, and ultimately was rejected from there as well. I emailed U of T to ask for feedback on my application and they said my weakness was my grades. I had a decent average but i had some courses with very high marks and some with pretty low marks, which im sure doesn't look great. I've added 6 more months of direct experience in child protection, one of my references is better, and I also took 2 online courses from athabasca so hopefully this is my year! 

 

I am going to apply to u of t, windsor, and laurier. Also going to do the 1 year bsw at lakehead orillia. Good luck everyone! 

Can I ask what your average was and what you mean by high and low marks (e.g.  60s and 90s?) ? Good luck this year! Sounds like you improved on quite a bit! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.