Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

Hi, I am an international student, currently studying at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. I hold an offer for the MLitt in ancient history at St Andrews (posted the result on 7 March on gradcafe). I have also applied to Oxford (classical archaeology) and Cambridge (Classics), and still waiting to hear back from them. If anybody has previous experience with admissions for Oxford/Cambridge, and is willing to share their experience, I would greatly appreciate it. Conversely, if anyone wishes to ask anything about St Andrews, I am only glad to help. Best of luck to everyone with their applications.

On 4/1/2016 at 10:54 PM, LtnLvr said:

Really random question, but as I am on the waitlist at UVA while in at a higher ranked school, I'm curious: what is UVA's Classics program like? Anyone know? Particularly the Latin poetry side of things? How is it socially too? Anyone care to chim in?

I can't say what it's like, but I do know someone admitted there who is likely to decline their offer. So if you want in, you may get your wish. I know they have J. E. Lendon, whose historical work is quite good, but I don't know about their poetry side. 

Been lurking on this thread for a while, but now that it's down to the wire I have two questions-

1) Anyone have a spot at Rutgers with an interest in Roman history that they're planning on giving up? Been on the wait list and wondering if I should just go ahead and accept an offer elsewhere.

2) in at UWisconsin, but no guaranteed funding- does anyone have experience with them? Is funding possible?

Thanks!!

10 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

Been lurking on this thread for a while, but now that it's down to the wire I have two questions-

1) Anyone have a spot at Rutgers with an interest in Roman history that they're planning on giving up? Been on the wait list and wondering if I should just go ahead and accept an offer elsewhere.

2) in at UWisconsin, but no guaranteed funding- does anyone have experience with them? Is funding possible?

Thanks!!

Hi! I attended the Madison visit, and I didn't have funding at the time (nor did a couple other visiting people there). I was offered funding very shortly after the visit. I do know that at least one of the funded people there is attending, and it's looking like I may as well. However, there were one or two funded people there who were less sure about the program, so they may turn down their offers and you may end up with funding. From what I've heard with my professors, there's a lot of movement with funding and waitlists in the week before April 15 (and especially that day!!) so don't count yourself out yet.

9 hours ago, ClassApp said:

Hi! I attended the Madison visit, and I didn't have funding at the time (nor did a couple other visiting people there). I was offered funding very shortly after the visit. I do know that at least one of the funded people there is attending, and it's looking like I may as well. However, there were one or two funded people there who were less sure about the program, so they may turn down their offers and you may end up with funding. From what I've heard with my professors, there's a lot of movement with funding and waitlists in the week before April 15 (and especially that day!!) so don't count yourself out yet.

Awesome, thanks! I thought something like that might be up, but I didn't want to attend the visiting day because I've already been out there. Guess I'll hold on for now. 

Like Elegalabus, I've been lurking too!

Wanted to note for anyone still interested that UVa emailed me yesterday to say that a spot on their wait list will likely open up this coming week. I was at the top, but gave up my spot!

Am also wondering if anyone has been accepted off the wait list by UPenn/turned down an offer? I am still in purgatory with them, but have my fingers crossed!

thanks!

Edited by Carmina

2 hours ago, Carmina said:

Am also wondering if anyone has been accepted off the wait list by UPenn/turned down an offer? I am still in purgatory with them, but have my fingers crossed!

I was accepted off UPenn's wait list on Friday and turned down the offer yesterday morning. Good luck!!

On 4/15/2016 at 1:10 PM, ClassApp said:

@Elagabalus I just declined UW Madison's offer/funding in favor of WashU. Good luck! I hope you're able to get funding by the end of the day.

Congratulations on WashU! I have a friend there who loves it, though he isn't doing Classics stuff. Also you get Karen Acton, who seems super cool (though admittedly more on the history side). 

On 4/15/2016 at 2:20 PM, pro Augustis said:

Congratulations on WashU! I have a friend there who loves it, though he isn't doing Classics stuff. Also you get Karen Acton, who seems super cool (though admittedly more on the history side). 

Thank you! I'm actually super pumped about going to WUSTL, particularly about Tim Moore and Catherine Keane.