Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

I just got accepted to Chapel Hill! If anyone else has applied there, though, I wouldn't lose hope just yet: the phrasing of the email seemed to indicate that they are not doing them all at once.

Also: congratulations on Toronto and Duke, Passing Shade and $eptimius$severus!

22 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

I just got accepted to Chapel Hill! If anyone else has applied there, though, I wouldn't lose hope just yet: the phrasing of the email seemed to indicate that they are not doing them all at once.

Thanks, and congratulations to you on UNC! Would you mind being a little more specific about how "the phrasing of the email seemed to indicate that they are not doing them all at once"? I would love to hang on to hope, but not unreasonably...

Did anyone apply (or know anyone who applied) to the IDP at the Cotsen? 

I have a friend who started the IPCAA last year and she's loving it, so good luck to you nerds interviewing/visiting! 

47 minutes ago, $eptimius$everus said:

Thanks, and congratulations to you on UNC! Would you mind being a little more specific about how "the phrasing of the email seemed to indicate that they are not doing them all at once"? I would love to hang on to hope, but not unreasonably...

Professor Rives explicitly said that they were extending the offer "early," though I suppose that I don't know if that was early relative to other programs or to other applicants at this program. The recruitment weekend is not until March, though, so there definitely would still be time for them to notify people before then.

ETA: Passing Shade, were you applying straight Classics at Toronto and Columbia? I wonder if the Classics department and the other affiliated ones (Classical Studies at Columbia and the Toronto Ancient History program with York) reply at the same time.

Edited by pro Augustis

23 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

ETA: Passing Shade, were you applying straight Classics at Toronto and Columbia? I wonder if the Classics department and the other affiliated ones (Classical Studies at Columbia and the Toronto Ancient History program with York) reply at the same time.

Yes - Classics at both. Not sure how the affiliated programs work!

2 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

Fair enough! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about Classics at Columbia; I am presently studying there for a post-bac.

Really? Well I am just looking at the list of courses offered this semester to see what I'd like to sit in on during my visit. What courses are you enrolled in?

1 minute ago, Passing Shade said:

Really? Well I am just looking at the list of courses offered this semester to see what I'd like to sit in on during my visit. What courses are you enrolled in?

This semester I am taking Latin Literature of the Empire (Survey) with Williams, Image of the Book in Roman Lit with Howley, Aristotle's Poetics (and Oedipus Rex) with Worman, and Egypt in the Classical World with Morris. We are only in the second week of our semester here, but each of those seems quite promising. I'd particularly recommend sitting in on Latin Literature of the Empire; my interests are historical, but Williams' every comment on Ovid (the first author we are reading) are absolutely fascinating. 

3 hours ago, Passing Shade said:

Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley or Stanford?

haven't heard anything from either! I have a friend at AHMA and she hasn't heard anything about decisions being made, but historically they do make decisions during the last week of January.

congrats btw!!

14 hours ago, pro Augustis said:

Also: congratulations on Toronto and Duke, Passing Shade and $eptimius$severus!

I was also accepted to Chapel Hill!! Rather exciting as it was my first choice based on the faculty and my own interests. Will you be attending the visit weekend in March? I've already visited, but plan on going again.

As far as admissions, the faculty told me that they are only admitting about 4 people total this year, as they had an unexpectedly high number of students accept their offer last year. They mentioned that they'd be rather selective in choosing, as they were looking for people who really understood their program and seemed to be seriously considering attending. I'd assume based on that information that they sent out the acceptance letters/visit invites to their ~4 most fitting candidates and will move forward based on the responses they get.

Hope that's helpful to anyone else that's waiting! Good luck to all on interviews and visit weekends!

1 hour ago, Iocheaira said:

I was also accepted to Chapel Hill!! Rather exciting as it was my first choice based on the faculty and my own interests. Will you be attending the visit weekend in March? I've already visited, but plan on going again.

As far as admissions, the faculty told me that they are only admitting about 4 people total this year, as they had an unexpectedly high number of students accept their offer last year. They mentioned that they'd be rather selective in choosing, as they were looking for people who really understood their program and seemed to be seriously considering attending. I'd assume based on that information that they sent out the acceptance letters/visit invites to their ~4 most fitting candidates and will move forward based on the responses they get.

Hope that's helpful to anyone else that's waiting! Good luck to all on interviews and visit weekends!

Thanks for this info locheaira! I applied to classical arch there so this information is really useful, one less app to worry about. (I actually dreamed about a UNC rejection last night lol)

Congratulations!!! Getting into a top choice is amazing :D

2 hours ago, Iocheaira said:

Congratulations indeed on making your first choice! I've never been to Chapel Hill and so definitely do plan on visiting. Their Classics with Historical Emphasis (sub-)program sounds great. 

Also, I have a story about my Chapel Hill app that I initially decided not to share because it was too embarrassing, but here we go: about a week ago, I got an email from one of the professors letting me know that I had submitted an application without a writing sample. I could have sworn I double-checked the application thrice, but apparently not. Needless to say, I sent the sample in immediately, but after that kind of blunder I pretty much wrote off my chances at Chapel Hill. Apparently, though, the late submission didn't matter much. So while this process is surely hyper-competitive, hopefully this is a tad reassuring to everyone stressing over the minute technicalities of their applications. Content does appear to be what matters here (at least at Chapel Hill). 

24 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

Congratulations indeed on making your first choice! I've never been to Chapel Hill and so definitely do plan on visiting. Their Classics with Historical Emphasis (sub-)program sounds great. 

Also, I have a story about my Chapel Hill app that I initially decided not to share because it was too embarrassing, but here we go: about a week ago, I got an email from one of the professors letting me know that I had submitted an application without a writing sample. I could have sworn I double-checked the application thrice, but apparently not. Needless to say, I sent the sample in immediately, but after that kind of blunder I pretty much wrote off my chances at Chapel Hill. Apparently, though, the late submission didn't matter much. So while this process is surely hyper-competitive, hopefully this is a tad reassuring to everyone stressing over the minute technicalities of their applications. Content does appear to be what matters here (at least at Chapel Hill). 

:lol: that's hilarious!! At least they gave you another chance - I've found departments are more flexible than I thought they'd be. I didn't send official transcripts to Stanford initially as I didn't know they needed them (to be fair it's pretty uncommon!) and then they took ages to arrive.

Edited by ciistai

17 hours ago, pro Augustis said:

This semester I am taking Latin Literature of the Empire (Survey) with Williams, Image of the Book in Roman Lit with Howley, Aristotle's Poetics (and Oedipus Rex) with Worman, and Egypt in the Classical World with Morris. We are only in the second week of our semester here, but each of those seems quite promising. I'd particularly recommend sitting in on Latin Literature of the Empire; my interests are historical, but Williams' every comment on Ovid (the first author we are reading) are absolutely fascinating. 

Awesome! I sent you a personal message! 

1 hour ago, Passing Shade said:

Accepted to UC Santa Barbara and Chicago! Both via email.

Any one else visiting Chicago? 

Congrats on both!

I just got a Yale interview! It's been a fun three days. So far, I am amused to note that I have done an absolutely horrible job of predicting what schools I would get. I thought that, despite my genuine interest in the programs, I did a poor job articulating my fit at Chapel Hill and Yale and a very good one at Chicago. Yet no word from Chicago and good news from the other two, which makes me very glad that I sent the applications I was less confident on rather than chickening out and auto-rejecting myself. 

ETA: The Yale and Michigan interviews overlap by a day. This is not a problem I anticipated... 

1 hour ago, Passing Shade said:

Awesome! I sent you a personal message! 

Responded! Sorry, I meant to bring the Image of the Book syllabus to the library to scan this morning and grabbed a different syllabus instead. Keeping track of all the paper floating around on my desk is not my strength...

Edited by pro Augustis