Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

I was just accepted at Trinity in Dublin--does anyone have any information or forums I could invade to find out a little bit more concerning Trinity? I've a good grasp on their academics, but just information in general on the college, finances, and living situations would be great. :)

I was under the impression that almost all PhD program interviewed candidates. However, I have seen several postings that seem to just be acceptances. What major programs do not do interviews? Both curiosity and for my own sanity.

28 minutes ago, IoSpero said:

I was under the impression that almost all PhD program interviewed candidates. However, I have seen several postings that seem to just be acceptances. What major programs do not do interviews? Both curiosity and for my own sanity.

From what I know, Berkeley AHMA does not do interviews - not sure whether Berkeley Classics do but I assume not given that the committees are essentially the same. UPenn Classics doesn't nor has UPenn AAMW in the past -  not sure whether they do now. I did speak to someone at AAMW informally over Skype in December, but I think that was just because he preferred that over lengthy email exchanges. I'm personally curious as to whether Stanford interviews - I personally have no clue but would love to know!

Any other specific programs you're curious about?

13 minutes ago, $eptimius$everus said:

UPenn Classics had Skype interviews this year, not sure if they will follow up with campus interviews as well. Can't speak to AAMW.

Oh wow - is that new? I know a friend was accepted into Classics without an interview in the past, and another friend into AAMW. Maybe my friend is a prodigy :P 

2 minutes ago, ciistai said:

Oh wow - is that new? I know a friend was accepted into Classics without an interview in the past, and another friend into AAMW. Maybe my friend is a prodigy :P 

Not sure! I haven't known anyone who applied in the past, but a friend had a Skype interview last week.

3 hours ago, IoSpero said:

Last year, Princeton accepted a couple of their prospectives without interviews (others were interviewed first). I don't quite know why/how this happened, but it goes to show that a given school can handle their admissions/offer process in more than one way! It's curious that more programs have been accepting candidates without interviews—I have heard that across the board the number of applications were not as high this season as they have been in past years, so maybe programs are able to pinpoint their ideal candidates more effectively?

2 hours ago, ciistai said:

UPenn Classics doesn't nor has UPenn AAMW in the past -  not sure whether they do now. I did speak to someone at AAMW informally over Skype in December, but I think that was just because he preferred that over lengthy email exchanges.

UPenn Classical Studies definitely did Skype interviews last year (their visiting "weekend" was for the accepted students).

On a general note, congratulations to everyone who has received an interview or an offer! And to those of you still waiting, don't give up hope!

1 hour ago, ciistai said:

Just heard from AAMW! Got in with invite to prospectives weekend in late Feb!

Congrats! That's very exciting. I'm doing a Post-Bacc at Penn now and the department is really lovely. Perhaps I'll see you when you come to visit!

Also, just thought I'd chime in on this convo:

2 hours ago, hypsipyle said:

Last year, Princeton accepted a couple of their prospectives without interviews (others were interviewed first). I don't quite know why/how this happened, but it goes to show that a given school can handle their admissions/offer process in more than one way! It's curious that more programs have been accepting candidates without interviews—I have heard that across the board the number of applications were not as high this season as they have been in past years, so maybe programs are able to pinpoint their ideal candidates more effectively?

UPenn Classical Studies definitely did Skype interviews last year (their visiting "weekend" was for the accepted students).

Our advisors at Penn told us that they've been doing Skype interviews for most candidates (at least for the past few years) and that their visit weekends are always a recruitment session for accepted students as opposed to some schools that use it as a second round interview. But as hypsipyle said this can change from school to school, year to year, candidate to candidate. From what I understand, it's not atypical for the top candidates to be accepted earlier and with fewer hoops to jump through, as it means the program can get a head start on recruiting. You can easily see who has and has not done interviews by searching the Results section. I sort of figured Chapel Hill wouldn't hold interviews this year based on some of the early acceptances they sent out last year.

13 hours ago, Iocheaira said:

Congrats! That's very exciting. I'm doing a Post-Bacc at Penn now and the department is really lovely. Perhaps I'll see you when you come to visit!

Also, just thought I'd chime in on this convo:

Our advisors at Penn told us that they've been doing Skype interviews for most candidates (at least for the past few years) and that their visit weekends are always a recruitment session for accepted students as opposed to some schools that use it as a second round interview. But as hypsipyle said this can change from school to school, year to year, candidate to candidate. From what I understand, it's not atypical for the top candidates to be accepted earlier and with fewer hoops to jump through, as it means the program can get a head start on recruiting. You can easily see who has and has not done interviews by searching the Results section. I sort of figured Chapel Hill wouldn't hold interviews this year based on some of the early acceptances they sent out last year.

Thank you!!! I'm excited - though I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to the Prospectives Weekend. It's the week after the Michigan interview and I don't know if I can take another two days off! :( I'm also trying to save vacation days for fieldwork this summer so I'm very conflicted!!!!

I'm interested in whoever posted the Berkeley interview - I thought they didn't interview, but maybe that's only AHMA...

(finally de-lurking: salvete, omnes!)

I'm the one with the Berkeley interview. I got the email from Kathleen McCarthy only a few hours after finding out that I had been waitlisted at Penn yesterday evening--this whole week has been one big roller coaster of anxiety. I also thought Berkeley didn't interview, so I have no idea what to make of it. I hope it's a good thing? I have, naturally, been micro-analyzing the email/entire situation, but who knows? Maybe my SoP didn't give them enough of a read on my personality? Maybe they had a lot of competitive applicants and decided they needed to do interviews this year? Oof, I thought everything would be much less stressful after all my apps were in, but this waiting game is grueling.

Also, congrats to those who got into UChicago! I'm currently an undergrad there and love it, so hit me up if you have any questions about the department/campus/Hyde Park/&c.

13 minutes ago, perpetua una studienda said:

(finally de-lurking: salvete, omnes!)

I'm the one with the Berkeley interview. I got the email from Kathleen McCarthy only a few hours after finding out that I had been waitlisted at Penn yesterday evening--this whole week has been one big roller coaster of anxiety. I also thought Berkeley didn't interview, so I have no idea what to make of it. I hope it's a good thing?

I don't see how an interview could be a bad thing: it clearly means that you are in at least some level of contention. Good luck with it! I wonder if the Classics department and AHMA operate on the same schedule... 

1 hour ago, ciistai said:

Thank you!!! I'm excited - though I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to the Prospectives Weekend. It's the week after the Michigan interview and I don't know if I can take another two days off! :( I'm also trying to save vacation days for fieldwork this summer so I'm very conflicted!!!!

I'm interested in whoever posted the Berkeley interview - I thought they didn't interview, but maybe that's only AHMA...

I know what you mean with the absences caused by interviews. It's great, don't get me wrong, but between them I will right now be missing two full weeks of class. In a fourteen week semester, that is rather a lot... Luckily my professors have been understanding so far. 

5 hours ago, ciistai said:

I'm assuming that based on what she says, we might see results being posted by this time next week... unless they've changed this this year.

*gulp* It's weird: if I got rejections from everywhere I haven't heard from, it wouldn't be nice, but I could weather it with the good news I've gotten so far. But somehow that doesn't make me check my email any less frequently or less anxiously. I just want to know! 

Waitlisted at Stanford... and also messed up my GRE stats when posting my result on the board for a second time lol

Edited by ciistai

Congrats to everyone who has heard back about acceptances and interviews! Just wondering if there were any M.A. or MAT applicants out there who have heard back about anything... I've been crazy-stalking old gradcafe boards and it seems like people don't hear back until mid-February at the earliest, but I'm feeling vaguely paranoid ;P

Does anyone know if Columbia Classical Studies has sent out all its interview requests? It seems there are two on the results page. At this point, I'm just hoping for an end of waiting.

On 1/31/2016 at 6:24 AM, darlingviolet said:

Congrats to everyone who has heard back about acceptances and interviews! Just wondering if there were any M.A. or MAT applicants out there who have heard back about anything... I've been crazy-stalking old gradcafe boards and it seems like people don't hear back until mid-February at the earliest, but I'm feeling vaguely paranoid ;P

So far the only MA notification I've gotten is from University of Kansas.  I turned it down because I have a better offer from OSU History, so the next person on the wait-list should be pretty happy!  I also know that FSU's admissions committee has met and made decisions, but there seems to be a delay in sending out the results (I only know because I go there).

6 minutes ago, anactoria said:

Anyone heard anything else from Berkeley yet?

Nothing yet, though I'd quite like to.

I turned down my first offer earlier today, which was a strange experience. Minnesota's masters program has some great faculty and (I can now personally attest) generous funding, but going for an MA when I had a PhD offer on the table seemed silly, and I didn't want to hold a spot that someone on the waitlist could use. 

On 2/1/2016 at 3:28 PM, Jimleko said:

So far the only MA notification I've gotten is from University of Kansas.  I turned it down because I have a better offer from OSU History, so the next person on the wait-list should be pretty happy!  I also know that FSU's admissions committee has met and made decisions, but there seems to be a delay in sending out the results (I only know because I go there).

Thanks! This puts me a little at ease ;P

10 hours ago, cmakouri said:

Hey all! I just called in for an interview in a couple weeks for RISD's MAT program. Any advice or tips on what to expect/how to prepare? Any info would be much appreciated! 

So far, I've only had one interview (with UPenn), but I found a lot of preparation unnecessary.  They'll ask questions about you, to make sure you're a good fit for the program.  You can only reply to each question succintly, substantively, and in line with how you think.  I asked professors for advice, and I had a mock interview (which was helpful) but ultimately the only thing that really helped me out was to relax and just treat it as a discussion with a future colleague.

Of course, I'm on the waitlist, so take that for what you will.