DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

I have just emailed Uta asking her to confirm whether all acceptances for Intensive Language have now been notified. 

Will let you know what she says. 

(still waiting, Intensive Language, DAAD NY)

Hey all, if anyone who won the language grant would be willing to talk about their application, please let me know! I may reapply for a research grant or other grant next year and to know what they look for would be great. Obviously, private message would be best so I no longer fill the thread with my anxiety posts.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

Hey all, if anyone who won the language grant would be willing to talk about their application, please let me know! I may reapply for a research grant or other grant next year and to know what they look for would be great. Obviously, private message would be best so I no longer fill the thread with my anxiety posts.

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get the grant! You've been a huge source of support and information in this thread. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk applications.

On April 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Gibery said:

They will tell you they received the declaration of acceptance through another msg on the portal, few days later you will get another mail that tells you to go on the "innsurance tag" cause you got a msg there, there will be your Innsurance documents that you must carry with you. You should get into the visa if you need one, mine went very fast for being a DAAD scholarship :)

How Long it takes to get the insurance documents? @Gibery

im still waiting for 'em.

good luck to everyone waiting!

Edited by MaxImun

1 hour ago, MaxImun said:

I submitted my Declaration of Acceptance on Friday and the insurance information arrived on Tuesday. So 2 business days for me.

22 minutes ago, s3v said:

I submitted my Declaration of Acceptance on Friday and the insurance information arrived on Tuesday. So 2 business days for me.

I also submitted the declaration of acceptance on Friday 8, and I'm still waiting for them.

I think I need to be patient after all. 

thanks for your answer

19 hours ago, Horb said:

of course! PM me anytime!

5 hours ago, MaxImun said:

took 4 days for me! you need to check "insurance" --> "messages" but you anyways get a notification on your email like the others msgs in the portal :D

On 4/12/2016 at 3:06 PM, Horb said:

Hi all,

Just heard back via email from Uta. I didn't get the grant (again). I think that is it for me and DAAD. I'm off to sob and then get back to grad school. Good luck to everyone else.

I'm so sorry to hear that Horb :( I think they really need to redo their method of releasing results, the "keep you hanging" game was just awful. All your info and detective work through this thread has been so appreciated!

On 4/13/2016 at 1:21 PM, War&Peace said:

I have just emailed Uta asking her to confirm whether all acceptances for Intensive Language have now been notified. 

Will let you know what she says. 

(still waiting, Intensive Language, DAAD NY)

Let us know if you hear anything!

On 13.04.2016 at 3:01 AM, Horb said:

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the grant. Feel free to PM me if you need advice.

One thing to say, I applied for the scholarship together with my twin sister, and both of us got invited to the interview part together. In addition, our academic background, research experience and grades are similar. I think our performances on interview was the reason of why I got the scholarship, and my sister didn't. Hence, my advice is to keep improving interview skills.

Good luck in future

17 minutes ago, hero_girl said:

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the grant. Feel free to PM me if you need advice.

One thing to say, I applied for the scholarship together with my twin sister, and both of us got invited to the interview part together. In addition, our academic background, research experience and grades are similar. I think our performances on interview was the reason of why I got the scholarship, and my sister didn't. Hence, my advice is to keep improving interview skills.

Good luck in future

There is no interview component for American applicants.

So I recently got word that I've received the intensive summer language grant. Though the subsequent paperwork hasn't come through yet, some of the language on the website has me a little worried:

It says the scholarship covers a "One-off scholarship payment of 2,300 euros" and that "Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is paid only the remaining amount to which he/she may still be entitled in Germany." (https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/en/21148-scholarship-database/?status=3&origin=44&subjectGrps=&daad=1&q=intensive%20language&page=1&detail=50046548)

Now, the course fees and lodging for where I've been placed (Carl Duisberg Berlin) add up to over 2,200. (https://www.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/isk-kursliste.pdf)

Does this mean that I'll basically be on my own for all expenses except lodging? I'm especially worried because the link above also says "the DAAD Intensive Language Course Scholarships do NOT cover all costs. Please plan your personal budget accordingly to cover these costs and also your private needs."

If things actually are the ways this is sounding, the grant won't be of much use to me (and I find it hard to imagine that it would be that much use to that many people). Does anyone know if what I'm thinking is correct?

40 minutes ago, LawrencevonBuskirk said:

So I recently got word that I've received the intensive summer language grant. Though the subsequent paperwork hasn't come through yet, some of the language on the website has me a little worried:

It says the scholarship covers a "One-off scholarship payment of 2,300 euros" and that "Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is paid only the remaining amount to which he/she may still be entitled in Germany." (https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/en/21148-scholarship-database/?status=3&origin=44&subjectGrps=&daad=1&q=intensive%20language&page=1&detail=50046548)

Now, the course fees and lodging for where I've been placed (Carl Duisberg Berlin) add up to over 2,200. (https://www.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/isk-kursliste.pdf)

Does this mean that I'll basically be on my own for all expenses except lodging? I'm especially worried because the link above also says "the DAAD Intensive Language Course Scholarships do NOT cover all costs. Please plan your personal budget accordingly to cover these costs and also your private needs."

If things actually are the ways this is sounding, the grant won't be of much use to me (and I find it hard to imagine that it would be that much use to that many people). Does anyone know if what I'm thinking is correct?

From my understanding, you essentially get up to $2300 and if it costs more than that, you cover the difference yourself. Most programs are less than that amount (at least the ones I looked at).

2 hours ago, LawrencevonBuskirk said:

Yeah, the idea is you don't have to use the lodging offered by the language institute and could use the surplus to cover alternate lodging arrangements
They should provide a bit of travel support as well. https://www.daad.de/rkp-hsk_isk

11 hours ago, LawrencevonBuskirk said:

like EarlyModernGermany said, you also receive a stipend for travel--maybe €500 or so from east coast? More if you're coming from the west coast. Whatever it is, it won't be enough to cover the whole ticket. I did this a few years ago in a different city and found my own accommodation, saving quite a bit of money, as the language center's lodging rates were in my case pretty extortionate. (They just give you a huge wad of cash when you arrive, it's pretty funny, very Scarface.) But otherwise, you're correct--the grant does not make any allowance for meals and other incidentals. I think most people who receive this grant are still on their regular graduate student stipend from the US, allowing them to cover their costs. You should be able to find a place to live in Berlin for two months that will help bring your budget under control! 

Edited by x\/x\/x

3 minutes ago, yellow.wallpaper said:

Hey guys! I'm walking into this thread pretty late. I still have not heard back and the DAAD portal just says "Selection Made" and has not changed. 

Who's still waiting to hear back?

Same here. But in my case, my application is still "Application submitted."

9 minutes ago, aynrand said:

Same here. But in my case, my application is still "Application submitted."

A guy from my department who applied two years ago said that a girl in the Summer program had heard back in May (because she had been waitlisted). I just really would love to know what I'm doing this Summer as soon as possible.

5 minutes ago, yellow.wallpaper said:

A guy from my department who applied two years ago said that a girl in the Summer program had heard back in May (because she had been waitlisted). I just really would love to know what I'm doing this Summer as soon as possible.

I should have been notified of the outcome of my application this week because that's what the DAAD representative in my country said. But still no word from DAAD.

9 minutes ago, aynrand said:

I should have been notified of the outcome of my application this week because that's what the DAAD representative in my country said. But still no word from DAAD.

Yeah. I emailed them in March and they said from Late March to Mid-April. :(

27 minutes ago, yellow.wallpaper said:

Yeah. I emailed them in March and they said from Late March to Mid-April. :(

What did you apply for? And who did you email? DAAD in your country or did you send a message via portal? I never got a reply on portal. :(

20 minutes ago, aynrand said:

What did you apply for? And who did you email? DAAD in your country or did you send a message via portal? I never got a reply on portal. :(

I applied for the Intensive Language Program. I emailed the DAAD NY office (Amra Dumisic) from my professional email.

What did you apply for?