DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

\

On 4/27/2016 at 9:05 AM, paulapks said:

Hei, I'm exactly in the same situation like you-i have still selection-made status and what is even more strange is that other applicants for the same grants from my country already got an answer......

This situation is really nerve-wracking :(

Sounds like you're an Undergrad applicant like me. I still have selection-made status. Anxiously await the news. 

On 4/27/2016 at 11:21 AM, quillheart said:

I mean I guess it is good that we have not heard yet right? That means we are still in the running. Until we get a letter saying otherwise we have reason to hope!

Quillheart, are you an undergrad applicant like me? I still have selection made status. 

On 5/4/2016 at 5:01 AM, paulapks said:

Hello there,

So....I've just found out that I was awarded a DAAD scholarship.

My only concern now is that after I have summited my documents for the scholarship where I wrote the first 3 universities where I would like to go, I've found out others that would also meet my preferences and I would like to apply to them also. :(((

In case someone might  know, my question now is that would the scholarship be awarded only if I'll get admitted to one of those 3 universities I have written in the application ? Or they normally accept any german university to whom I might get admitted?

Thanks

The award papers I received specifically said that the scholarship would only be valid at the one university to which I applied.
Based on that, it seems it's unlikely that switching the universities is generally allowed. 

I've already switched my program, but it's still within the same university, so that's definitely allowed.

9 hours ago, quillheart said:

Yes I am. Do you know when we are supposed to hear anything?

their site says mid-May and also says, if we do not hear by 5/18, to contact them. The email I received in March said they would email us as soon as results were ready. 

Edited by SoonerTA
wrong date

6 hours ago, SoonerTA said:

their site says mid-May and also says, if we do not hear by 5/18, to contact them. The email I received in March said they would email us as soon as results were ready. 

Awesome! Good to know!

On 5/7/2016 at 5:46 PM, quillheart said:

Awesome! Good to know!

My application was rejected. Stinks but doesn't end my dreams. I will be there for the academic year. 

@HGILLS @Andrey

Have either of you heard anything back about your courses yet? It's now less than a month until mine starts and the Goethe Institut says that they haven't gotten my info from DAAD. I just called the Bonn office and they told me to send a portal message (my last portal message never got a response).

I have not heard anything! No insurance information, scholarship information, nothing--and I contacted my institution as well and there was no acknowledgement that they had received anything yet. I don't really know what to do here.

Do you know if they pay the course directly and then we get the leftovers? 

Edited by HGILLS
more info

2 hours ago, HGILLS said:

I have not heard anything! No insurance information, scholarship information, nothing--and I contacted my institution as well and there was no acknowledgement that they had received anything yet. I don't really know what to do here.

It's the same with me. The last time I spoke with the Goethe Institut they said that it should be this week at the latest, but my course starts in less than a month and I'm really apprehensive about booking transportation if I haven't gotten any further confirmation.

2 hours ago, HGILLS said:

I believe that's how it works.

11 hours ago, abreak said:

@HGILLS @Andrey

Have either of you heard anything back about your courses yet? It's now less than a month until mine starts and the Goethe Institut says that they haven't gotten my info from DAAD. I just called the Bonn office and they told me to send a portal message (my last portal message never got a response).

6 hours ago, HGILLS said:

The same sad story... I have received nothing so far.

2 hours ago, abreak said:

@HGILLS

Just got a response on the portal: they said that my info will be passed on to the course provider in the next two days. (What a relief!)

Hope we will get something soon too! I am gonna wait till Friday and then start nagging them

Hi everyone,

So I finally got a letter from school with all the details regarding registration and accommodation. No insurance yet, but hope it will arrive soon as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a place in Frankfurt am Main and got stuck. I've sent a bunch of messages, but received no reply yet. Where and how do you look for apartments there? Please share your experience!

On 6/5/2016 at 3:01 PM, Andrey said:

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a place in Frankfurt am Main and got stuck. I've sent a bunch of messages, but received no reply yet. Where and how do you look for apartments there? Please share your experience!

It's pretty difficult. I tried wg-gesucht, but, as i'm sure you'll notice, they all typically require a besichtigung, which isn't all that easy, considering I'm still in the US.

I eventually found out that the studentenwerk at Stuttgart guarantees a room for one year for DAAD scholarship holders. So I'm doing that, which buys me enough time to find private housing for the second year.

This is done through Stuttgart's International Office, so I would try contacting the international office and see if they can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm thinking of applying for a short-term research grant to conduct archival work in Germany. Is there anyone here who won one that would be willing to PM about the application process? I'm also applying for a Fulbright, but the DAAD process seems more intense and I'm not sure if I'd be a good fit for it like I am the Fulbright.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all!

I was wondering if there is a DAAD group for Germany on Facebook? I can't find one on the search, but if there isn't one, would anyone be interested in starting it? Would be nice to see who will be in the same area etc. 

Let me know!

On 8/9/2016 at 9:07 PM, tritalk said:

Hey all!

I was wondering if there is a DAAD group for Germany on Facebook? I can't find one on the search, but if there isn't one, would anyone be interested in starting it? Would be nice to see who will be in the same area etc. 

Let me know!

Made one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1583111961985350/

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I was just wondering if there was already a thread for this round, or if we would just use this one again.

I'm applying for long-term research, and I've found a discrepancy in information about the research proposal.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pup said:

Hey all,

I was just wondering if there was already a thread for this round, or if we would just use this one again.

I'm applying for long-term research, and I've found a discrepancy in information about the research proposal.

Thanks!

Re: discrepancy --> welcome to DAAD.

@pup, I may have found the same discrepancy .. for the research grant, the daad.de scholarship database states that the research proposal should be maximum 10 pages, while the daad.org checklist states that it should be maximum 5 pages. I'm not sure which is correct. Does anybody know?

Hi all,

Apologies, I posted a question and then failed to check the forum for a week!  @maelia8, yes, that's exactly it.  I wrote to DAAD NY and got the following response:

' Thank you for the email and sorry for the confusion. Please follow the guidelines from our “Application Checklist” (5 pages). '

I hope that helps!  Now, if only we knew what sort of formatting they liked...

Edited by pup
content clarification