DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

9 minutes ago, maelia8 said:

@pup thanks for sharing the email! I just wrote them asking the same question earlier today and hope they aren't annoyed at getting the same query :( 

I also wrote them yesterday...maybe they should have updated the website....

6 hours ago, maelia8 said:

@pup they didn't happen to say double or single spaced, or anything about formatting (font, size), did they? I didn't see anything about this on the website either.

I always assume single if they don't specify. That is my biggest issue with DAAD. They are really a mess. I've applied for grants from them before (unsuccessful, but I know they are super competitive). Each year, I haven't received the promised "6 weeks have passed, and we got your application" notification. I've also had issues in which they don't specify something (like last year, they didn't have the foreign language evaluation form up weeks before the deadline. I have to email for it).

It makes me wonder what winning one is like if this is how their administration is handled...

@Horb I have one one in the past (as an undergraduate) and I remember it being a huge production at all levels. They send you paperwork to sign as well, dozens of thin and densely-printed sheets, and if you lose any of them, that's it, no more copies. I still have a hugely fat file filled with everything i got from them last time ...

On my old application, I turned it in double-spaced and it was accepted, so we'll see what happens this time. My Fulbright statement (campus deadline was two weeks ag0o) was only 2 pages single-spaced, so I'm going to try to expand on it for DAAD.

5 hours ago, maelia8 said:

On my old application, I turned it in double-spaced and it was accepted, so we'll see what happens this time. My Fulbright statement (campus deadline was two weeks ag0o) was only 2 pages single-spaced, so I'm going to try to expand on it for DAAD.

I need to see if my FB people would be willing to do letters for DAAD. I didn't want to apply through them because of the negative experiences I have had with them, but it is kind of stupid not to. 

Also: I received a response. Basically, they said I should have known the checklist was the way to go because it say it was for North American applicants...they also said the website says we can choose single or double spaced. I'm already a little annoyed, as I've been on the DAAD.org and they pulled from the English version of DAAD.de...

Hi guys,

Ja, the DAAD application process single-handedly destroys the German stereotype of Order and Efficiency, haha.  I personally haven't seen anything explicit about formatting, so @Horb's information will have to be the default.  Or just assume whatever is most convenient for you, I guess!  I plan to go with whatever spacing I need (will I be long-winded or not?), Times New Roman, 12 point, 1 inch margins, the classic.

Maybe the headache that comes with the application process will somehow improve our odds?  Trying to keep a positive perspective on this!

50 minutes ago, pup said:

Hi guys,

Ja, the DAAD application process single-handedly destroys the German stereotype of Order and Efficiency, haha.  I personally haven't seen anything explicit about formatting, so @Horb's information will have to be the default.  Or just assume whatever is most convenient for you, I guess!  I plan to go with whatever spacing I need (will I be long-winded or not?), Times New Roman, 12 point, 1 inch margins, the classic.

Maybe the headache that comes with the application process will somehow improve our odds?  Trying to keep a positive perspective on this!

I'm more concerned about mucking it up and, like, being disqualified. And of course, you're never told why you lost.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I am a DAAD-IntensiveLanguage-loser from last cycle, looking into applying again. I found this note on their website, stating that "An applicant may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a DAAD Intensive Language Course or University Summer Course Grant." (click over to Application Requirements). 

This seems to imply that if you applied for a DAAD Intensive Language stipend, then you cannot apply again for three years. Is this correct? 

I only ask because I remember speaking with people in this thread that won last year but had lost in years past. Is it a requirement I can ignore, or maybe, more likely, do they mean to apply this only to people who won the grant?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/3/2016 at 8:20 AM, Gibery said:

it says funding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!! but no mail.

And in the end the "funding" status meant you got it? :D  my application status has also changed to "funding" but haven't got any official email yet, should I think I got it? :o 

Edited by Wsam

On 11/1/2016 at 3:04 AM, War&Peace said:

Hello all,

I am a DAAD-IntensiveLanguage-loser from last cycle, looking into applying again. I found this note on their website, stating that "An applicant may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a DAAD Intensive Language Course or University Summer Course Grant." (click over to Application Requirements). 

This seems to imply that if you applied for a DAAD Intensive Language stipend, then you cannot apply again for three years. Is this correct? 

I only ask because I remember speaking with people in this thread that won last year but had lost in years past. Is it a requirement I can ignore, or maybe, more likely, do they mean to apply this only to people who won the grant?

Thanks!

Not sure if someone responded, but it literally means if you were selected and won the award, you cannot apply again next cycle. If you are rejected, apply as many times in a row as you like. (I confirmed this with them last year when they added it).

Hi

I'm applying for the DAAD Winterkurs from Brazil. My status changed yesterday to "funding" but I didn't get any email/message yet. DAAD doesn't answer the message on the portal.

Does that means my application final answer is "approved"?

I need to buy the tickets but I want to be sure first that I really got the scholarship. The classes start in less than to months and the tickets get more expensive each hour (really).

Anyone where how had the "funding" status later got "rejected" ?

Thanks

23 hours ago, Wsam said:

And in the end the "funding" status meant you got it? :D  my application status has also changed to "funding" but haven't got any official email yet, should I think I got it? :o 

Hello there!

Yes, I got the scholarship back then and the email took 2 or 3 days until i got the letter of award and declaration of acceptance that you need to upload after!

Congratz!!

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

Recently I have applied for a DAAD Scholarship which will give me an opportunity to study in particular university in Germany. I assume, that I will be informed about the final decision approximately in two months. The question is what should I do during this time? I mean, I am allowed to apply for other programs in different countries in case I will be rejected by the DAAD Selection Committee? Or should I just wait and do nothing until the final decision?

I will be the most grateful for your answers!

• 3 months later...

Heloo everyone am so happy to join this forum,  my question 

I applied for in country /in region daad scholarship masters of science in information system, my application status changed to selection made, to day it changed to blank, please any one with idea what that means please? 

17 hours ago, matendo D said:

Heloo everyone am so happy to join this forum,  my question 

I applied for in country /in region daad scholarship masters of science in information system, my application status changed to selection made, to day it changed to blank, please any one with idea what that means please? 

Please my reply comrades 

On 6/22/2017 at 6:14 AM, matendo D said:

Please my reply comrades 

Read through previous posts and you'll find the answer. It usually means nothing.

17 hours ago, Horb said:
17 hours ago, Horb said:

Read through previous posts and you'll find the answer. It usually means nothing.

OK thanks 

On 6/25/2017 at 8:15 AM, matendo D said:

Thanks Horb, but am so anxious. .....

Still  blank,  my heart beats uncordinated! !

Horb thanks for your prayers,  it has changed  to funding  with a link of declaration of acceptance on the left menu!!!

Just now, matendo D said:

Horb thanks for your prayers,  it has changed  to funding  with a link of declaration of acceptance on the left menu!!!

Can I celebrate  please? ?