DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

On 3/14/2016 at 6:28 PM, Horb said:

I'd be happy to create a fake twitter and ask anonymously, if you think they'd answer. Which handle should we ask? probably DAAD North America, right? 

I'm looking for an answer for Intensive Language as well. Still "selection made."

W&P

3 hours ago, War&Peace said:

I'd be happy to create a fake twitter and ask anonymously, if you think they'd answer. Which handle should we ask? probably DAAD North America, right? 

I'm looking for an answer for Intensive Language as well. Still "selection made."

W&P

One of my friends asked and still nothing. They are probably really busy and I imagine it'll be at the end of the month (fingers crossed).

46 minutes ago, Gibery said:

it says funding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!! but no mail.

You must have gotten it!!!

59 minutes ago, Horb said:

You must have gotten it!!!

shouldnt i get mail or anything? any ideas how long it takes for that? 

hopefully u guys hear soon!

1 minute ago, Gibery said:

Either mail or email. I have no idea how you know which. It seems up in the air.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

Mine says selection made still. I'll assume rejection unless US hasn't changed yet. Good luck all!

Mine says selection made still as well, also US. Good luck to us. Congrats to Gibery.

11 minutes ago, aynrand said:

To all research applicants: Any news???

negative, though the homepage of the portal says that there will be delays tomorrow (Thursday) in the "processing of application summaries," so I wonder if that means news/status changes will be coming shortly thereafter? 

FWIW, when I did the intensive language course a few years ago the notification came via E-mail (and that was when the application was all hard copy). 

13 hours ago, x\/x\/x said:

negative, though the homepage of the portal says that there will be delays tomorrow (Thursday) in the "processing of application summaries," so I wonder if that means news/status changes will be coming shortly thereafter? 

FWIW, when I did the intensive language course a few years ago the notification came via E-mail (and that was when the application was all hard copy). 

This is so stressful. It's been too difficult to concentrate on anything. I hope we all find out soon!

5 hours ago, aynrand said:

This is so stressful. It's been too difficult to concentrate on anything. I hope we all find out soon!

Agreed! I know I will have a good summer if I don't get it (I'm planning on taking German courses no matter what, but here I can only afford the once a week course and well...that won't help all that much with gaining fluency), but man, I REALLY miss speaking German on a regular basis. If homesickness for a language is a thing, I have it. 

20 hours ago, Gibery said:

Hi Gibery,

What was the time difference from when you had "selection made" appear and "funding" appear? A week? Longer? I'm analyzing everything...

2 hours ago, Horb said:

Hi Gibery,

What was the time difference from when you had "selection made" appear and "funding" appear? A week? Longer? I'm analyzing everything...

i had "selection made" for a week and a half, after it went empty for a few hours...... and then "funding" appeared. Im still nervous cause i got no mail from DAAD Bonn 

Question: did anyone apply for a short term research grant? I'm thinking of applying for next year to do work on some archives in Berlin, but wanted to know others experience with the application/research proposed.

4 hours ago, inkogneeto said:

My status still says application submitted :(

4 hours ago, aynrand said:

Same here :(

What did you apply for?

Edit: also, I saw additional activity on the Study Scholarship. Previously on the "Application and Funding Overview" page, only the university was listed, but it now has populated with the start and end dates for the requested funding along with a couple other fields that I don't think that were there before.

Edited by s3v

6 minutes ago, s3v said:

What did you apply for?

Edit: also, I saw additional activity on the Study Scholarship. Previously on the "Application and Funding Overview" page, only the university was listed, but it now has populated with the start and end dates for the requested funding along with a couple other fields that I don't think that were there before.

Hi s3v. I applied for a research grant for a doctoral program in Germany. Still no change in my application status. :((

3 hours ago, s3v said:

also, I saw additional activity on the Study Scholarship. Previously on the "Application and Funding Overview" page, only the university was listed, but it now has populated with the start and end dates for the requested funding along with a couple other fields that I don't think that were there before.

I just noticed that with my application too. What's interesting is that for 'Target Institution' my second choice is listed instead of my first, so maybe that's an indication that I got it. (I'm thinking if it was just generic information they would probably just list my first choice. By listing my second choice that might be a sign that I wasn't placed at my first but managed to get my second.) I probably shouldn't read too much into it until an official notice comes.

21 minutes ago, abreak said:

I just noticed that with my application too. What's interesting is that for 'Target Institution' my second choice is listed instead of my first, so maybe that's an indication that I got it. (I'm thinking if it was just generic information they would probably just list my first choice. By listing my second choice that might be a sign that I wasn't placed at my first but managed to get my second.) I probably shouldn't read too much into it until an official notice comes.

Interesting. I'm applying to multiple programs all at the same university so I just got one entry.
I'd be very surprised if they somehow make a decision for which university you go to. I was under the impression that the funding was awarded and it was up to you, the student, to go to whichever one you were accepted to.

We don't have enough data points to be able to speculate, but it would make sense that they wouldn't bother spending time and effort populating information fields for applicants who didn't make it.

1 hour ago, s3v said:

Interesting. I'm applying to multiple programs all at the same university so I just got one entry.
I'd be very surprised if they somehow make a decision for which university you go to. I was under the impression that the funding was awarded and it was up to you, the student, to go to whichever one you were accepted to.

We don't have enough data points to be able to speculate, but it would make sense that they wouldn't bother spending time and effort populating information fields for applicants who didn't make it.

I think it's a little bit different for me since I'm applying for a language grant. I had to choose up to 3 programs to attend, but I think for the study grant you would normally only choose one, right?

Also since I am pretty restricted in the dates that I can go to Germany, I picked three different institutes which all have programs at roughly the same time rather than three different programs at the same institute.

25 minutes ago, abreak said:

I think it's a little bit different for me since I'm applying for a language grant. I had to choose up to 3 programs to attend, but I think for the study grant you would normally only choose one, right?

Also since I am pretty restricted in the dates that I can go to Germany, I picked three different institutes which all have programs at roughly the same time rather than three different programs at the same institute.

My target institution was always listed...or at least, it was listed when selection made was stated (but I don't remember looking before)...and it is my first choice...I really can't take this anymore! Come on DAAD!

abreak: did yours change from one institute to the second? Or did you just notice it being populated and before it was blank?

Edited by Horb