DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

15 minutes ago, Horb said:

My target institution was always listed...or at least, it was listed when selection made was stated (but I don't remember looking before)...and it is my first choice...I really can't take this anymore! Come on DAAD!

abreak: did yours change from one institute to the second? Or did you just notice it being populated and before it was blank?

I don't think I ever noticed it being populated before, so it might have always been that way or it could've changed at some point.

10 minutes ago, abreak said:

I don't think I ever noticed it being populated before, so it might have always been that way or it could've changed at some point.

Target institution was always populated for me. But there are other fields like funding start and end that have definitely showed up recently.

55 minutes ago, s3v said:

Target institution was always populated for me. But there are other fields like funding start and end that have definitely showed up recently.

Mine always showed up; weird.

someone asked the NY Office a week ago, and they said notifications probably won't go out until April. Historically they've always notified at the very end of March, so it's still early. Keep twiddling those thumbs! :(

14 hours ago, abreak said:

I think it's a little bit different for me since I'm applying for a language grant. I had to choose up to 3 programs to attend, but I think for the study grant you would normally only choose one, right?

Also since I am pretty restricted in the dates that I can go to Germany, I picked three different institutes which all have programs at roughly the same time rather than three different programs at the same institute.

I did the same thing with my application. I can only go over the summer so I picked three different cities all at the beginning of the summer. What/when did you pick?

I also was talking with a classmate who did all this several years ago and she said she got the award but was sent to a different institute than she asked for. So I think she put down three different Goethe-Institut locations and was initially informed she was going to their Berlin location and then was informed that that had changed and she was going to be sent to speak + write in a different city. So it sounds like there are a lot of variables.

1 minute ago, EarlyModernGermany said:

I did the same thing with my application. I can only go over the summer so I picked three different cities all at the beginning of the summer. What/when did you pick?

I also was talking with a classmate who did all this several years ago and she said she got the award but was sent to a different institute than she asked for. So I think she put down three different Goethe-Institut locations and was initially informed she was going to their Berlin location and then was informed that that had changed and she was going to be sent to speak + write in a different city. So it sounds like there are a lot of variables.

So it seems like they pick those they want to fund then see where there are openings? Rather than picking based on who wants to go where.

17 minutes ago, Horb said:

So it seems like they pick those they want to fund then see where there are openings? Rather than picking based on who wants to go where.

Yes. I think it is based on the strength of the application. And really, there are lots of possible language institutes to slot students into. I just really hope they don't go overboard and tell a student who needs the summer that they are funded to attend in October! But I doubt they would do that. I stressed the importance of the summer in my application letter. More likely, they may say "we've got 352 Goethe-Institut slots [based on 11 locations, 2 summer sessions each, 16 student maximum] over the summer and 372 accepted students whose first, second, and third choice was GI so we'll take twenty of them [by what measure I have no idea] and slot them into some of the other institutes we offer." That wouldn't be the end of the world. There are a ton of language slots in total just for the summer. 352 GI summer slots+ 105 Carl Duisberg summer slots + 360 DID summer slots + 45 InterDaF summer slots + 30 S+W summer slots= 892 total summer slots if you define the summer as running through August.

Edited by EarlyModernGermany

11 minutes ago, EarlyModernGermany said:

Yes. I think it is based on the strength of the application. And really, there are lots of possible language institutes to slot students into. I just really hope they don't go overboard and tell a student who needs the summer that they are funded to attend in October! But I doubt they would do that. I stressed the importance of the summer in my application letter. More likely, they may say "we've got 352 Goethe-Institut slots [based on 11 locations, 2 summer sessions each, 16 student maximum] over the summer and 372 accepted students whose first, second, and third choice was GI so we'll take twenty of them [by what measure I have no idea] and slot them into some of the other institutes we offer." That wouldn't be the end of the world. There are a ton of language slots in total just for the summer. 352 GI summer slots+ 105 Carl Duisberg summer slots + 360 DID summer slots + 45 InterDaF summer slots + 30 S+W summer slots= 892 total summer slots if you define the summer as running through August.

How on earth you know those numbers? I've searched the website up and down and can never find much information. This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

I applied for GI in two locations, but honestly, as long as I get between June and August, I don't care where they put me.

1 hour ago, Horb said:

How on earth you know those numbers? I've searched the website up and down and can never find much information. This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

I applied for GI in two locations, but honestly, as long as I get between June and August, I don't care where they put me.

I just did the math based on the list of the various institutes. :)
https://www.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/isk-kursliste.pdf

3 hours ago, EarlyModernGermany said:

My first choice was the Goethe-Institut in Freiburg, my second was the Goethe-Institut in Mannheim (this is the one that is currently listed on the DAAD portal for me), and my third was Speak + Write in Marburg. For all of these I picked a session that runs from the beginning of June until the end of July.

23 hours ago, s3v said:

What did you apply for?

Edit: also, I saw additional activity on the Study Scholarship. Previously on the "Application and Funding Overview" page, only the university was listed, but it now has populated with the start and end dates for the requested funding along with a couple other fields that I don't think that were there before.

I applied for a Study Scholarship to do a masters. Also I think (not entirely sure) that  my start/end dates and institution was always filled in.

5 hours ago, abreak said:

My first choice was the Goethe-Institut in Freiburg, my second was the Goethe-Institut in Mannheim (this is the one that is currently listed on the DAAD portal for me), and my third was Speak + Write in Marburg. For all of these I picked a session that runs from the beginning of June until the end of July.

Mine were Goethe-Institut Berlin, Gottingen, and Munich with an eye to the same/similar time frame.

It's kind of difficult to predict, @m@d, since DAAD administers so many different grants that all seem to operate on slightly different schedules. Furthermore, it doesn't seem clear that the "Selection made" status corresponds to a reliable outcome or even a set timeline to proper notification. We are at their whim. :(

Edited by x\/x\/x

3 hours ago, m@d said:

When results will be declared? I got status as Selection made in portal.. What it means??

It means that they have determined whether or not you got the grant. It is neither a positive nor negative indicator, as people get it then get funded and people get that status and get rejected. It simply means daad in Bonn made decisions.

19 minutes ago, x\/x\/x said:

It's kind of difficult to predict, @m@d, since DAAD administers so many different grants that all seem to operate on slightly different schedules. Furthermore, it doesn't seem clear that the "Selection made" status corresponds to a reliable outcome or even a set timeline to proper notification. We are at their whim. :(

Is there any change in your application status? Still no change in mine :(

3 minutes ago, aynrand said:

Is there any change in your application status? Still no change in mine :(

ugh, negative. I am worried we will have to wait until after the Easter holiday, which of course is a four-day weekend in Germany. I'm also waiting on conference panel decisions and summer grants and other research grants in case DAAD doesn't work out. It's making my head spin! 

I emailed them last Thursday about the Graduate Study Scholarship and they said they didn't know the date that results would be communicated since Bonn still needs to sign off on it. They suggested emailing back in "a week or so". Fingers crossed that we hear back this week... I have a job offer that I need to make a decision on very soon so the stress is really building. :/

I was told for the language grant that it'll be later this month or early next month. Which last year meant April 17th...good luck all!

I'm not sure it's worth e-mailing the DAAD office folks anymore...the decisions aren't technically behind schedule yet, and they know we've got other things to plan.