Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

Hi everyone, does anyone have any thoughts on having two supervisors for graduate school? I was recently invited to an open house and two professors emailed me saying that they would like to speak with me together as potential "co-advisors". Ideally, I would like to have one supervisor, but I guess there could be some merit in having different perspectives? Any feedback would appreciated. Thanks!

56 minutes ago, UofT Grad said:

Hi everyone, does anyone have any thoughts on having two supervisors for graduate school? I was recently invited to an open house and two professors emailed me saying that they would like to speak with me together as potential "co-advisors". Ideally, I would like to have one supervisor, but I guess there could be some merit in having different perspectives? Any feedback would appreciated. Thanks!

I had two advisors contact me about doing the same thing. One is a younger, less experienced faculty member and the other is much more experienced and has great funding. They framed it in a way that it could only benefit me: I'd have two people who are available to help me, and also two sources of expertise to inform my research projects. After talking to other grad students, I think it's a good thing, but I could see how it could be difficult to not have one "primary" advisor. I think that if you like both of them and are interested in both of their areas of research, it will be an asset.

54 minutes ago, UofT Grad said:

I think it's a good idea! I don't know if they'd formally be co-advisors or if you'd just end up working with both of them. At one of the programs I applied to there were three people that I'd most likely end up working under over the course of 5-6 years. It's nice because when you go out into the workforce (especially academia) you're going to need around three letters of reference. If you've been closely working with two people, then those letters will be strong. Also, if you end up having a personality conflict with one, then you can always cut ties and work with the other. You'll also get two perspectives on how you're progressing in grad school, and two people that will be able to help you network at conferences. 

Has anyone encountered something weird with their George Mason application? My application status switched from "out for decision" to "decision made". The results page showed that a couple people received rejections, but I have yet to hear either way. I checked my spam folder and I don't see anything either. I'm guessing it isn't great news, but I'd like a definite answer! Any thoughts? 

25 minutes ago, I/Ohopeful said:

Has anyone encountered something weird with their George Mason application? My application status switched from "out for decision" to "decision made". The results page showed that a couple people received rejections, but I have yet to hear either way. I checked my spam folder and I don't see anything either. I'm guessing it isn't great news, but I'd like a definite answer! Any thoughts? 

I didn't apply to GM, but is there a link you can click in the application or in the application status check page that brings you to a decision letter?

3 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I didn't apply to GM, but is there a link you can click in the application or in the application status check page that brings you to a decision letter?

Unfortunately there is no link to click. I guess it will be posted to my portal sometime in the next week? I just thought I would have heard back if others already did!

1 hour ago, I/Ohopeful said:

My application says the same thing. I contacted George Mason last Monday and was told that I was not admitted. They said that there is a glitch in the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if schools generally send out all the invites at once or a few and then interview and then another batch? I've seen one person from one of the schools i applied to (SDSU) post on the survey they got an invite for interview on Saturday, so wondering if not hearing back means not going to. For M.S. program so they say on average let in 30 per year. Hard to gauge typical behavior on the survey for SDSU since there is only 3 other posts from years past and this is the first interview one.

Anyone want to claim the recent Roosevelt Interviews and acceptances? I noticed some more since my posting early this month/late last month. PM me if you're comfortable with it! Just want to compare notes. :) 

I accepted an offer to attend the OB/HR program in the College of Business at Florida State University (my top program)! I wish you all the best of luck with the process and hope our paths cross somewhere down the line (preferably at a conference bar with a reasonable craft beer selection).

Edited by aqueousmelodies

Did  anyone receive replies from 

1. Teachers College, Columbia University (M.S.)

2. Florida Institute of Technology?

I'm biting my nails to stumps from the anxiety... I have zero expectations, and would like to know whether I'm free to drown myself in wasted undergrad efforts and wine. 

2 hours ago, chocana said:

Did  anyone receive replies from 

1. Teachers College, Columbia University (M.S.)

2. Florida Institute of Technology?

I'm biting my nails to stumps from the anxiety... I have zero expectations, and would like to know whether I'm free to drown myself in wasted undergrad efforts and wine. 

Haven't heard from FIT either but i think someone got in already. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of us

From what I can tell a large number of programs have now had their recruitment weekends.  Anyone able to share some updates on how things went?  Anyone with multiple offers going to make decisions so the rest of us can maybe get off the wait list?  :huh:

On February 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM, I/Ohopeful said:

I was under the impression that George Mason would mail letters telling us whether we have been admitted or not. That's what I thought it said on their application website. I might be mistaken though.

Hi IO hopefuls!  I think the majority of accept/reject/wait have been received with a few anomalies. My request to all of you you is please do not hold multiple acceptances at this point. Your top two max and as soon as you know your decision please communicate to your decline school asap . There are those of us in wait list hell- which sucks. 

Pleae be cognizant of others (like me) who have severe wait list anxiety & would appreciate final decisions. Thanks much & good luck to all!!

37 minutes ago, Christina P said:

I was under the impression that George Mason would mail letters telling us whether we have been admitted or not. That's what I thought it said on their application website. I might be mistaken though.

I got an email notifying me that I was rejected on 2/11

1 hour ago, gradzz said:

Hi IO hopefuls!  I think the majority of accept/reject/wait have been received with a few anomalies. My request to all of you you is please do not hold multiple acceptances at this point. Your top two max and as soon as you know your decision please communicate to your decline school asap . There are those of us in wait list hell- which sucks. 

Pleae be cognizant of others (like me) who have severe wait list anxiety & would appreciate final decisions. Thanks much & good luck to all!!

I would say that while some offers have been extended, some of us are still waiting to hear back about financial aid/stipend stuff too. No one holds multiple offers purposefully or maliciously, but it does take some time to make a fully informed decision and go and visit schools :) I also hate to say it, but even if someone turns down an offer, it doesn't mean the school for sure will pull people off the wait list. 

And as for your second question, I was invited to visit/"interview" at A&M earlier this month.