Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

3 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

You're very welcome! It's easy to get caught up, and I don't blame you for that.

Is there a deadline by which you have to decide if you're graduating? I know for my school it was back in December, if I remember correctly. They're now sending us all of this information about the date, time, hat and gown rentals, tickets, etc.

Maybe in a few weeks you could just let them know about this deadline?

There isn't a deadline per say because I've been advised to proceed as if I'm graduating so I have applied for graduation, but the issue is with like you said with hat and gown rentals, tickets, and if I do end up staying, registration for classes in next fall starts soon. However I called the graduate admissions office and they said that the admissions committee has just started looking at applications and that people should start hearing something within two weeks.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:23 PM, Infinite544 said:

I think that really depends on your ultimate career goals. You have to really look at your funding. Are you willing to go into debt for a Masters vs a PhD (assuming that it is at least some funding if not fully funded PhD). I was accepted into the Masters program at GW, but I will be denying because of the funding, unless I somehow win the lottery in the next 2 weeks

Thanks!! What about program wise? Do you think George Mason stands out more than UNC Charlotte? Or they are about the same?

2 hours ago, hpgenomix said:

There isn't a deadline per say because I've been advised to proceed as if I'm graduating so I have applied for graduation, but the issue is with like you said with hat and gown rentals, tickets, and if I do end up staying, registration for classes in next fall starts soon. However I called the graduate admissions office and they said that the admissions committee has just started looking at applications and that people should start hearing something within two weeks.

Great! Sounds like it's all figured out. Well, for now. Good luck!

On 4/4/2016 at 4:12 PM, GoBruins said:

As a current student at BGSU I wanted to check in and see if I could help anyone out. To everyone who applied to BGSU and hasn't heard back yet: email Dr. Matthews! He'll tell you what your status is

I have emailed Dr. Matthews and he told me that I am in a pool of students that they are considering for admittance if the offers they have extended are turned down. As a current student, do you know how many of the offers that were made have been accepted? Do you know how many people with offers still haven't decided yet? Any of this information would greatly help me in my current situation.

Hi Everyone!

I've mostly been a lurker but I'm really confused about what next step to take so I figured I would ask all of you here since all of you have gone through this/are going through this/have your shi* together unlike me lol

I'm graduating (BA) in May and applied for a MA/MS in I/O for this fall. Thus far, I've been accepted to New Haven, West Chester, Montclair, GM, and Albany. I hadn't heard from Akron and when I called to ask, I mentioned that I had other offers and needed to know soon. The next morning I got a rejection letter from the immigration department for some reason. I'm still waiting to hear from Baruch & Columbia.

I'd like to go to a program which is balanced in terms of both the I & O side of this field. I'm not sure if I want to go straight for my PhD right after or do applied work and I would like my MA/MS program to have options for research as well as internships. So far, I'm leaning towards Albany since they seem to have both research options and I've heard they have good internship placement as well but I'm not thrilled about the idea of moving to Albany. I've already decided against New Haven, GM, and am not keen on West Chester. Montclair is still on the list because it is so incredibly affordable (in-state tuition) but I'm not sure if the program would mean a lot on my resume/have research opportunities for my eventual PhD app. So I guess I'm trying to decide between Albany and Montclair/waiting for Columbia & Baruch to get back to me.

I'm just really overwhelmed by this whole process and am scared that the school I choose will be wrong for me. Does anyone have any advice about these programs or any opinions about any of this? I know this is all super scattered but thats kinda how I feel about all of this right now lol 

3 hours ago, Prakriti said:

Montclair is still on the list because it is so incredibly affordable (in-state tuition) but I'm not sure if the program would mean a lot on my resume/have research opportunities for my eventual PhD app. So I guess I'm trying to decide between Albany and Montclair/waiting for Columbia & Baruch to get back to me.

Hi @Prakriti! I am actually an undergrad student at Montclair State University!! I am a Sociology major, but, my boyfriend is a Psychology major and will be attending a PhD program in the Fall! :) We will both be graduating in May, so after four years at this school, I am pretty familiar with everything here! Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have, either on here or thru a private message.

Just to address a couple of your concerns. I can tell you for a fact that research opportunities are abundant for both undergraduate and graduate students who are interested. In fact, my boyfriend had one of the Master's students at Montclair (that did his undergard degree elsewhere) tell him how lucky he was to have the opportunity to work in three different labs. He told my boyfriend that when he was an undergraduate student at Rutgers, he applied to work in 5 different labs and got rejected or no response from all of them, which led him to get very minimal research experience during undergrad and made it next to impossible for him to get into a research oriented PhD program. The crazy thing, is that even though a university like Rutgers or Princeton is much higher rated than Montclair State, the opportunity to do meaningful research (not just run errands, make copies, make phone calls, data entry, etc.) is more present here to the majority of students that are interested than at higher-ranked institutions.

Also, if the undergrad research experience that my boyfriend got at Montclair led him to get accepted to a PhD program (his top choice, no less), as a Master's student, I think you would also be to get that necessary research experience under your belt as well, and be considered right along with graduates from more prestigious universities. Just one last note...everyone that I know in the program has a Graduate Assistantship, so tuition is completely paid for (plus a stipend). If you exhibit interest, you have a high chance of getting one. Two of the labs that my boyfriend works in have graduate assistants that are graduating this May and I know the professors are looking for GAs. Good luck in your decision :)

19 hours ago, I/O Hopeful 2016 said:

I have emailed Dr. Matthews and he told me that I am in a pool of students that they are considering for admittance if the offers they have extended are turned down. As a current student, do you know how many of the offers that were made have been accepted? Do you know how many people with offers still haven't decided yet? Any of this information would greatly help me in my current situation.

I/O Hopeful 2016, I'm sorry, but I shouldn't/can't tell you that information. I know that's not helpful at all, but I'm not supposed to discuss that.

On 4/5/2016 at 2:10 PM, hujudy1226 said:

Thanks!! What about program wise? Do you think George Mason stands out more than UNC Charlotte? Or they are about the same?

Sorry, I don't get on here often. In my opinion, I think George Mason just has a good name (maybe because I wanted to get into their PhD program but ultimately decided it was too far of a reach). I haven't really done a lot of research on UNC Charlotte as my route was always to apply to PhD programs (even though I applied to 2 masters as 100% safety). I think based on the little research I did that UNC Charlotte tends to be a much more a "working" I/O program or people who were in business prior to pursuing a graduate degree.

Other than my personal bias of George Mason, I think they are about the same program wise. Maybe make sure there's research fit for both programs and then just draw a straw? lol (don't really do that) 

I am so RELIEVED and happy to share that I received my first acceptance! Baruch sent me an offer this morning! I am now just waiting to hear from Teachers College. Has anyone else applied to their Master's program?

29 minutes ago, qqliu11 said:

I am so RELIEVED and happy to share that I received my first acceptance! Baruch sent me an offer this morning! I am now just waiting to hear from Teachers College. Has anyone else applied to their Master's program?

Congraultations!!! Was it for the masters program?

8 minutes ago, hpgenomix said:

When did you apply and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I applied the very end of February and just heard back this morning. I sent you my stats via PM.

On 4/7/2016 at 8:09 PM, Infinite544 said:

Sorry, I don't get on here often. In my opinion, I think George Mason just has a good name (maybe because I wanted to get into their PhD program but ultimately decided it was too far of a reach). I haven't really done a lot of research on UNC Charlotte as my route was always to apply to PhD programs (even though I applied to 2 masters as 100% safety). I think based on the little research I did that UNC Charlotte tends to be a much more a "working" I/O program or people who were in business prior to pursuing a graduate degree.

Other than my personal bias of George Mason, I think they are about the same program wise. Maybe make sure there's research fit for both programs and then just draw a straw? lol (don't really do that) 

Thank you! That is what I was thinking too. Ultimately when getting a PhD, it really depends on what research I will be doing i think. My research interest is quite out of boundary so i guess both programs are quite flexible and open. so it should be fine i think.

Has anyone heard back from San Diego State yet? I applied for the Master's program and haven't heard anything about my admission status. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago and they said they're still deciding, but it's pretty late in the game now so I wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything from them.

37 minutes ago, Christina P said:

Has anyone heard back from San Diego State yet? I applied for the Master's program and haven't heard anything about my admission status. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago and they said they're still deciding, but it's pretty late in the game now so I wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything from them.

Released an offer about 3 weeks ago. Good luck!

On 4/6/2016 at 0:58 AM, FeelTheBern said:

Hi @Prakriti! I am actually an undergrad student at Montclair State University!! I am a Sociology major, but, my boyfriend is a Psychology major and will be attending a PhD program in the Fall! :) We will both be graduating in May, so after four years at this school, I am pretty familiar with everything here! Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have, either on here or thru a private message.

Just to address a couple of your concerns. I can tell you for a fact that research opportunities are abundant for both undergraduate and graduate students who are interested. In fact, my boyfriend had one of the Master's students at Montclair (that did his undergard degree elsewhere) tell him how lucky he was to have the opportunity to work in three different labs. He told my boyfriend that when he was an undergraduate student at Rutgers, he applied to work in 5 different labs and got rejected or no response from all of them, which led him to get very minimal research experience during undergrad and made it next to impossible for him to get into a research oriented PhD program. The crazy thing, is that even though a university like Rutgers or Princeton is much higher rated than Montclair State, the opportunity to do meaningful research (not just run errands, make copies, make phone calls, data entry, etc.) is more present here to the majority of students that are interested than at higher-ranked institutions.

Also, if the undergrad research experience that my boyfriend got at Montclair led him to get accepted to a PhD program (his top choice, no less), as a Master's student, I think you would also be to get that necessary research experience under your belt as well, and be considered right along with graduates from more prestigious universities. Just one last note...everyone that I know in the program has a Graduate Assistantship, so tuition is completely paid for (plus a stipend). If you exhibit interest, you have a high chance of getting one. Two of the labs that my boyfriend works in have graduate assistants that are graduating this May and I know the professors are looking for GAs. Good luck in your decision :)

Hey! Thank you so much for such a detailed response. Really helps (: 

I actually did (am doing? I graduate in May haha) my undergrad at Rutgers and I had a totally different research experience- I transferred in, got into a research lab (the only I/O one) the next semester, and then became the manager/main coordinator of that lab after that. But I have heard that people do find that to be an issue at Rutgers so I totally get what you mean. I was actually encouraged to apply straight to PhD programs but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that (heard some very negative experiences where students had a falling out with their advisor and were essentially screwed) and I wanted to have an employable degree a bit sooner, just in case I wanted to go the applied route. That said, a part of me still wonders what if I had applied to PhD programs...

Montclair's biggest draw is the financials. Tuition is so low as it is and if its completely covered- wow. I might have to give the school another look. Thanks again!!

19 hours ago, Christina P said:

Yes. Recieved and accepted an offer from them nearly a month ago now. I haven't heard from them whether the incoming students were all finalized so I'd still hold out hope. Good luck. 

Has anyone here applied to PhD programs more than once? I'm trying to decide if I should accept an offer I have now, even though I'm not excited about the location, or try reapplying next year.

I released offers for masters programs at Eastern Kentucky University, Illinois State University, and IUPUI today. I accepted a PhD offer from Southern Illinois University. Good luck to anyone who was on the wait list at those universities!

On April 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM, ct2 said:

Has anyone here applied to PhD programs more than once? I'm trying to decide if I should accept an offer I have now, even though I'm not excited about the location, or try reapplying next year.

I'd say it's a risky crapshoot. The first time I applied, I didn't get accepted anywhere. When I reapplied this year, my top two programs weren't accepting students for the 2016-2017 school year. It happens, ya know? If it's just the location you're worried about, I'd suck it up. It's only 5 years, and you'll have a secured spot for a PhD program. There have also been other students on here (Psych forums, specifically) who have applied more than once and some years have been on waitlists, and later years haven't been invited for any interviews. I really wouldn't risk it.